Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800

Default Re: Which Tractor......Kubota L3800 or L4600?

Nobody ever wishes for less power but I sometimes wish for the same power, or more, in a smaller package. I have an L3800 on a 40-acre woodlot, 7 of which is currently being cared for. I do run a 48" grapple on the FEL with a WR Long 3rd function remote and do have loaded tires. I was originally looking at the larger B's but sized up to the L. I've had her for 5-months and have 25-hours on it (weekend place) and haven't encountered anything yet the machine can't do although I do have a bit of a tough time getting into certain areas of the woods sometimes. The ground clearance is good and I wouldn't want it any lower, or narrower for stability reasons, but a physically larger machine is not always preferable in the woods. The extra lift on an L4600 would be great if you don't need a need to get the machine into tight area though. I also considered an L3240 but my L3800 sends about 5 more horses through the PTO which comes in handy for wood-chipping. I love the 3800 and it came in price-wise where I needed it to be with all the attachments. I spent about 25k on the machine with SSQA FEL with 66" bucket, WR Long 3rd function remote (dealer-installed) Landpride 66" Box Blade, Landpride 72" rotary mower, Landpride Quick-hitch, Wildkat 48" grapple and 48" palette forks. My use is strictly hobby/personal on a weekend property though so it was hard for me to justify (to the wife) much more than what I spent and I was already sort of pushing my luck if you know what I mean. If I was making money on the machine or spending a lot more time in the seat, I would have figured out a way to make the L3940 happen probably.

BTW, I cut most of my logs into 10'-4" lengths and can lift pine up to about 20" in diameter - hardwoods at that length to about 16" in diameter with the grapple, a bit more with the forks. I've not encountered a tree or log yet that I have not been able to drag out.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3240

Agree with those above who distinguish physical size from power. Let your usage plans limit the physical size, but only your budget limit the power.
    Kubota L3240, disc harrow, chain harrow, rear blade, plow (don't know), hay spear, box blade

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Before buying any of the standard L or MX Kubotas, I would suggest you do a search on this forum for kubota jerky hitch.

Bill

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I'm pretty much in agreement with the others. I do have a few points to make that no one has touched on yet.

The pedals are "hung" on the L4600 as they are in a car or truck, but pivot on the bottom on the L3800. I find it's a more natural motion if they are hung from the top. That's one thing I'd change on my L3400, which is an older version of the L3800 with a few less horses.

Lift capacity probably won't be an issue for the uses you've listed. There's been a couple times I couldn't lift what I wanted to, but not many. You might not be able to lift a bigger disc harrow if you go that route instead of a tiller, I'm pretty much maxed out at a six foot model. Having said that, mine isn't a good example since a lot of the harrow is home-built, and like most of us I tend to over-build things. The loader lift capacity is in keeping with the size of the tractor, even with loaded rear tires if my lift capacity was any higher I'd pick the rear wheels off the ground. That's enough.

The L3800 would fit my needs too, it leaves me a little extra space in my garage to get around the tractor. An L4600 is a fair bit wider, bigger tractor in general. Around the woods I appreciate the smaller size, roads can be just a little bit narrower.

With either machine you will have zero problems running a post hole digger, chipper, logging winch, etc. About the only real power hog you have listed is the bush hog. An L3800 is better suited to a 5 foot rotary cutter if you have any heavy cutting to do (by heavy I mean tall, dense grass), the L4600 will better handle a 6 foot cutter in the same conditions.

Now, for the elephant in the room. kubota has still not resolved the jerky 3-point hitch on the economy L series tractors such as the L3800. Some say the L4600 has the same issue, though not as many complain about it. All I can suggest is, before you buy, put something heavy like a box blade or rear grader blade on the hitch and try lifting it slowly as if you were grading your driveway and wanted just a little bit shallower cut. Take your time and try it more than once up and down. After you buy it, you will be "stuck with it", generally speaking. Kubota has no solution to the problem, and won't even admit it exists. It's the Achilles heel of the L-series, other than that they are really quite good.

Sean

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I bought a new L4400 almost two years ago. If memory serves me correctly, the L4600 replaced the L4400. I have had no problems with my L4400 and it has served me well. BTW, are you wanting a gear drive transmission or a HST? What tranny was included in the prices that you stated earlier? Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Money is tight, that's why you're looking at the 3800. Think about what you're comfort zone is to drive to look at tractors. 50-100 miles? Whatever that distance may be, go and look at every tractor that is within that distance that is in the price range that you are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with kubota's, nothing wrong with pretty much any of the makes IMO. There can be a huge difference with what you get for the same amount of money spent, be it used or new.

Just my

Good luck
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Kubota

Thanks to everyone for their advice! The help is really appreciated. I am still looking hard for a used tractor for a good deal. I don't mind traveling a little bit if its the right one. I found a m5040 with a loader for $17k. Year 2007. 450 hrs. Haven't seen the tractor yet. Is this a good tractor and a fair price?...assuming its in good shape

Tractor
    JD 5055E

450 hrs is just broken in. A 50 hp full size utility tractor like that would be a good choise in my opinion. For the tasks you discribe I would prefer a utility (M frame) than a CUT (L frame). The price is about right compaired to local pricing here in SW VA.

Bill

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

i would get the 4600 this isn't something you buy every day.it would be sad if 6 months down the road you were disappointed by the performance of not enough horse power/lifting capacity.
    ::welcome :::RON
    never stop learning.

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

That sounds like a good deal!
    Inspect it and if it checks out, buy it. If not consider the L4600 or MX series.

Quote Originally Posted by bossgobbler View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their advice! The help is really appreciated. I am still looking hard for a used tractor for a good deal. I don't mind traveling a little bit if its the right one. I found a m5040 with a loader for $17k. Year 2007. 450 hrs. Haven't seen the tractor yet. Is this a good tractor and a fair price?...assuming its in good shape

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast