Comparison swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #1  

790greene

Tractor
John Deere 790
My junky White outdoors mower from TSC has failed me once again so I have decided to purchase another mower instead of sink more money into that piece of junk. I am consider a couple options. I was thinking about going with a 60" finish trail mower by swisher or a new craftsman riding tractor. I am not sure of the quality of cut with the trail mower so it has me debating. I don't want to spend any more than about 2k so I was wondering what route I should go. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #2  
I was in the exact situation when we bought our place and considered the same swisher mower. I ended up purchasing my 1963 Ford 4000 at an auction for $1700 and bought a 5 foot rotary mower. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #3  
I would suggest finding a vintage Simplicity garden tractor. They are built like tanks and your lawn will look like green velvet.

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #4  
Craftsman is made by the same company who made your TSC mower - MTD. If you want a good riding mower for under $2K, buy John Deere 1xx series.

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #5  
Craftsman used to made by AYP, not MTD but maybe they switched to MTD for more profit. Don't own one but researched before purchasing a Sear's garden tractor years back. It was a very good machine and far superior to MTD. MTD also now owns the Troybilt name and really turned Troybilt into junk compared to the old stuff.

You get what you pay for, even more true today as companies cut corners.

google American Yard Products

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #6  
I had a pull behind mower (Agri-Fab vs. Swisher). It mows just fine and works great behind my 4 wheeler.

But, two items to consider based on my experience:

1. Make sure your 4 wheeler is liquid cooled. You can't go any faster than 4-5 MPH and long periods at that speed can overheat a 4 wheeler.

2. Get an electric start vs. pull start. The pull start mechanism on mine went bad and was unrepairable. I had to convert to an electric start.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ swisher trail finish mower vs. riding tractor #7  
You list a John Deere 790 in your profile. Why not just get a Rear Finish Mower to use behind your tractor?