Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter

Default Re: 47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    Jim, what type of drill, and bit, do you need for drilling the holes?
    I've got a Bosch hammer drill - one of the "real" ones , that will take SDS type bits (or similar) - and a rock or concrete drilling bit. I think there is a hole size requirement from Dexpan - but I can't remember if it's 1.25" or 1.5" diameter. There's some videos on the Dexpan site and on Youtube about how to use the stuff if you're interested.

If you have a Taylor rental or a Home Depot in your area they might have the appropriately sized hammer drill available. I know I've seen them in both places around this area.

I've taken out a couple of rocks using this method that were just too big for my tractor to work with. One was down in a hole I as digging for drainage lines - and the darn rock was probably a good 16 inches thick on the average - about 6 feet long - and 4ft wide. I could move it around with the BH77 hoe on my B3200 - but every time I tried to get it out of the hole I tried to pull the tractor down into the hole. So I broke it in half and was able to pull it out after I did that.

Tractor
    Case 320 TLB

... Do you have any pictures of your progress, or the mini ex?

I did take some pics. I'm not great at taking many though. Will try to post some.

Does your land look similar? Or do you have a lot more larger trees? I often wonder how much more productive I would be with a mini ex.
    Dude! where are your rocks?? My trees are a LOT smaller.

How big are the rocks? Have you thought about a power rake?
    My rocks run 4' x 4' by 2 to 8 foot! Ocassionally I run into a big one too Most of what I want to sift out is 5 to 10 inch diameter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_wilson View Post
    If you don't mind me asking: how much was the four week rental?

~$3000

... try using some Dexpan to break them into smaller pieces: ...
    Have thougth about that.

My concern is the drill size and depth required. I have a HF SDS rotary hammer drill. I can get a 1" bit - but where would I find 2 -3 foot long 1" SDS drill bits?

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

I do have my fair share of rocks, but most of them are basketball sized or a bit bigger. In the area that I'm clearing, there really aren't many rocks, well, at the surface anyways Some poor farmers of the past went through the hard work of clearing and piling them for me, there are 3 different rock piles, the biggest is 40' wide, by 75' long, although only about 3 to 4' high. The other two are a lot smaller. I keep trying to think of a use for them all!

47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-i-jftbh5c-x2-jpg
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Case 320 TLB

Here's a couple pics from my place:
    Some before and afters
    47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-dscn0531-jpg47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-dscn0530-jpg
    47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-dscn0539-jpg47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-dscn0543-jpg

47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-dscn0554-jpg
    The big rock on the right is about 5' tall

One of the Mini Ex captured by a game camera
    47 Acres of woods, NH Lakes region, 1/2 of a house too-sunp0831-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Thanks for the pics, I bet that was a very productive month for you with the excavator! Now that you have some seat time in one, do you think you'd be better off with a cheaper, smaller tractor AND a mini ex? Or just a nice, bigger tractor?
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Case 320 TLB

I'd have to say in my position, I could get by with a smaller (30 - 40 HP) FEL and a mini-Ex. I look at some of the jobs I have and think how much easier and faster it would be to use the mini-Ex. The list price on that one I used (12,000 lb class) is $70k though. Used ones ain't cheap either.

I'm really glad I rented it. I would and will rent when I get the chance to spend a week or month at one shot to do work.

I'd love to have a JD410 or Case 580K to just jump on and go when I get up for a weekend. Just figure, for the cost of one, I'd rather get some things done that I can't do even if I had one. Things like the well being drilled, the drive way needs a bulldozer like a D8, the septic system needs installed. The well is done, so I can scratch that off the list. For about 20k, I'd rather get the septic installed and the drive way upgraded.

I am sure I will eventually get a tractor, FEL, and backhoe, and snow blower too. I have a quarter mile of driveway to keep up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234