Buying Advice What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?
...heck for that $13,000 you probably could buy a brand-new mahindra max-28, with 23.5 HP at the pto

<smacks head> Sheesh, there is an actual Mahindra dealer a few miles from me! [Hint to dealers: PUT YOURSELVES IN THE YELLOW PAGES ALREADY!]

Okay, I know where I'm going tomorrow. :licking:

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #12  
The Massey Ferguson 240 certainly looks powerful enough. I'm a little worried about the weight smashing my septic drainfield.

I'm thinking about a New Holland TC29DA. There's one available locally for $10,500 (1160 hrs, new tires, no FEL). Posts on this forum seem generally positive about it, except for assorted annoying electrical problems. 25 HP PTO -- borderline, but probably enough for cutting dry grass and weeds.

If you are willing to go 13k a kubota l3200 would work. Be sure it does not have a jerky 3PH. A b3300su would make a nice 8N replacement and should be in your budget. I think a BX would do what you need it to do. You would need a 4' cutter. Bobcat is no longer selling tractors, that is why your dealer does not have them.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #13  
I wasn't pushing that Mf-240, just pointing out $12,000 will buy a lot of tractor. Tractor data lists a Ford 8N at 2410 lbs with 10"-28" tires. I would hazard to guess that a Kub Mx4700 with its 3300 lbs and 17.5-24" have similar or less ground preasure. Not pushing models or brands, heck for that $13,000 you probably could buy a brand-new mahindra max-28, with 23.5 HP at the pto

If your talking about my M4700 it's more like 5,000lbs w/FEL and 14.9-28". Which may be too big for the OP's septic drainfield.
The OP can definitely find bargains if he can wait.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #14  
Not yours specifically, I just got the weight of a geared MX4700 with out loader and wide tires to point out that even at 1000 lbs more the 8N it would go anywhere his old one would. Not recommending driving in the drain field, just that its 50% heavier, but has 75% wider tires, so it should rut less I would think.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #15  
In my neck of the woods two neighbors have each recently purchased Bobcat CT tractors. Neighbor #1 bought a very nice 2010 Bobcat CT235 with FEL for $11,000 (237 hours). Neighbor #2 just bought a new CT230 with FEL for $14,700. (Deluxe suspension seat too!)

Bobcat dealers can still easily source tractors from the parent company. There is limited inventory due to the very aggressive final pricing. Free Loader program may end this next week.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #16  
I dont do any brushhogging with my SCUT, but loader work and a front snow blade that works great on my Yanmar SC2400. Fantastic little machine, less expensive and more capable than the competition.

Good luck!

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #17  
Its gonna be hard to beat that old 8n as far as work goes, only thing the new compacts got better than the ford are creature comforts. As far as reliability I think a 60 year old tractor is pretty reliable, easy to work on, basic parts more available, like any auto parts store or tractor supply. I might consider a new tractor but I would think long and hard about getting rid of the 8n. Actually I have a 2005 JD 790 and I still bushhog with my ford.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #18  
tessiers;3319436/ said:
Its gonna be hard to beat that old 8n as far as work goes, only thing the new compacts got better than the ford are creature comforts. As far as reliability I think a 60 year old tractor is pretty reliable, easy to work on, basic parts more available, like any auto parts store or tractor supply. I might consider a new tractor but I would think long and hard about getting rid of the 8n. Actually I have a 2005 JD 790 and I still bushhog with my ford.
I have to agree. I would run that 8n til it was totally unrepairable before I would think about another tractor.

You only have 2 acres, save the money until you absolutely need to buy a new tractor...............a broken exhaust manifold is 'not' a good enough reason to spend 13,000 dollars.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #19  
Have you guys actually ran a 8N? They were a excellent tractor in their day but by today standards they are not much. Yes they are cheap to repair and reliable if properly maintained. They don't have power steering, live PTO or hydraulics, their hydraulics are weak (My BX will out lift one on the 3PH), they gearing in the trans in not that great (really need a sherman step up step down), turning radius is not as good as a newer tractor, the 3PH does not work as good as a newer tractor, and no ROPS. They are still a capable machine but thing have got a a lot better.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #20  
Have you guys actually ran a 8N? They were a excellent tractor in their day but by today standards they are not much. Yes they are cheap to repair and reliable if properly maintained. They don't have power steering, live PTO or hydraulics, their hydraulics are weak (My BX will out lift one on the 3PH), they gearing in the trans in not that great (really need a sherman step up step down), turning radius is not as good as a newer tractor, the 3PH does not work as good as a newer tractor, and no ROPS. They are still a capable machine but thing have got a a lot better.

Yeah I got a few hours on one, still run one probably more than most compacts get run. I put several hundred hours per year on mine doing farm work, bushhogging, raking hay, digging post holes, grading my farm road, ect. They are definatly old tractors and have there weak points but very capable never the less. Exhaust manifold is a $100 fix if he does it himself, $300 if he hires it out and gets a new exhaust. If I were going to spend $10K I would buy a couple more acres for the 8n. If the ROPS is an issue you can buy them for around $750. I never felt the need for one but I actually have an older version with the round tube, the newer ones have rectangular tube.