Buying Advice What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #21  
Have you guys actually ran a 8N? They were a excellent tractor in their day but by today standards they are not much. Yes they are cheap to repair and reliable if properly maintained. They don't have power steering, live PTO or hydraulics, their hydraulics are weak (My BX will out lift one on the 3PH), they gearing in the trans in not that great (really need a sherman step up step down), turning radius is not as good as a newer tractor, the 3PH does not work as good as a newer tractor, and no ROPS. They are still a capable machine but thing have got a a lot better.

+1 I grew up with a 8N. They were a great tractor 60 years ago. There are much better choises now.
If the OP doesn't need 4WD and just wants to replace the 8N with a similar size modern tractor, how about a 2WD L3240?

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #22  
Have you guys actually ran a 8N? They were a excellent tractor in their day but by today standards they are not much. Yes they are cheap to repair and reliable if properly maintained. They don't have power steering, live PTO or hydraulics, their hydraulics are weak (My BX will out lift one on the 3PH), they gearing in the trans in not that great (really need a sherman step up step down), turning radius is not as good as a newer tractor, the 3PH does not work as good as a newer tractor, and no ROPS. They are still a capable machine but thing have got a a lot better.
No, I haven't run an 8n.

But with that being said, the OP's first post said he had to get rid of the 8n because of a broken manifold. I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. There is a big difference between 'need' and 'want'. OP has a reliable tractor that will do the work he needs done.

Now if the OP 'wants' a new tractor for the chores (and has money burning a hole in his pocket), that's a totally different discussion. The BX series, or the B3200 you mentioned will both work well for him, and they will do the jobs quicker and easier as you stated.

P.S. This post was not meant to offend anyone. It's only a 'reality-check', in reference to the OP's first post. Which was 2 acres of mowing, light snow removal, and various other chores.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #23  
Advice, anyone? I've got a Ford 8N that I've been using for the past decade for mowing the dry hillside around my house, and occasionally for clearing a foot of snow from the driveway and road, plus miscellaneous other tasks. Thanks to a wobbly vertical muffler I now have a cracked exhaust manifold. Parts are on order and I can probably fix it myself, but this is the wake-up call that it's time to upgrade to something a bit more reliable.

We're in a semi-arid area, so I only mow twice a year (about 2 acres), and the snow is never very deep. The hillside is very bumpy, though, thanks to ground squirrels -- a riding lawnmower won't handle it.

Another consideration: I have rather limited mechanical aptitude, and only hand tools. I've been able to do minor repairs on the 8N, but that's because the 8N was made to be maintained by a farmer with a set of hand tools. I'd like the capabilities of a much newer tractor, but I'm not sure about my ability to fix it when it breaks.

And I can't justify spending more than about $10,000.

I'd love to hear any suggestions of what model of tractor I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

My first tractor was a Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL. Cost $12,600 in 2005. You can find pre-owned 7510s like mine with less than 500 hours on eBay, Craigslist and at dealers for a lot less than $10K. I used a 4-ft wide King Kutter brush hog to mow my 10 acre place. I'd sell the larger brush hog you used on your 8N and get a 4-ft model. Cutting 2 acres would be a 3-4 hour job.

Good luck.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #24  
Yeah I got a few hours on one, still run one probably more than most compacts get run. I put several hundred hours per year on mine doing farm work, bushhogging, raking hay, digging post holes, grading my farm road, ect. They are definatly old tractors and have there weak points but very capable never the less. Exhaust manifold is a $100 fix if he does it himself, $300 if he hires it out and gets a new exhaust. If I were going to spend $10K I would buy a couple more acres for the 8n. If the ROPS is an issue you can buy them for around $750. I never felt the need for one but I actually have an older version with the round tube, the newer ones have rectangular tube.

I have heard that the axle trumpets may break off in a roll over so a ROPS would not be any good. $750 is half of what a good 8n is worth.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #25  
I wasn't singing the praise of an 8N, simply stating that if he gets a 20/25hp cut/scut he will realize that the 8n was in a different league traction and possibly realistic lift capacity.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #26  
I am not disputing the niceties of a modern compact, just saying for cost effective mowing and chores the 8n is a very capable and reliable option. They are a different animal all together and replacing them with a 1500 lb sub compact may not be the best choice.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #27  
I am not disputing the niceties of a modern compact, just saying for cost effective mowing and chores the 8n is a very capable and reliable option. They are a different animal all together and replacing them with a 1500 lb sub compact may not be the best choice.

I also suggested a B3300SU. It may be the best replacement for the 8N 4WD and in his budget. All of his 8N implements should work with it versus needing new stuff for a SCUT.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #28  
Just how much weight is TOO much on a septic drain field? I'm shopping for a tractor and that may play a small role in what I choose. Thanks, Chemteck

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #29  
Just how much weight is TOO much on a septic drain field? I'm shopping for a tractor and that may play a small role in what I choose. Thanks, Chemteck

I guess it depends. I don't want to a say a weight and you damage your but I had a truck load (24 tons) of gravel back across mine. Vehicles drive across mine daily. I don't like to run across the septic tank.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #30  
Well then, I'm not looking at anything that big. I should be fine. Thanks, Chemteck.