Buying Advice What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #31  
Well then, I'm not looking at anything that big. I should be fine. Thanks, Chemteck.

Hopefully some other people will reply to give you a better idea.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #32  
I've been told that a 3000# car is too much for the drain field, after all its 4" corrugated about 8-12" deep with nothing but sand. Now if you live where they use #57 stone or use the pipe arc pieces that would affect it.

Mom used to park every weekend over hers to wash car, and has had trouble, septic Guy said to avoid parking anything on it, but it could all be coincidence. I personally drive my L285 over mine because that's what I mow with (2230# and 12.4-24 R1)

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #33  
Around here since the ground flat out "doesn't perk" we have to run (if memory serves) a 12'x45' separate sand filter bed leading to ( In my case ) 120' of leach lines divided into 3 runs along a slope in my property. I believe the trenches are 2 to 3 foot deep, with the 4 inch corrugated pipe buried in #2 or #3 washed gravel all covered with 6" minimum of topsoil. Whew! That's a mouthful! I have one roughly 3'x3' foot section in my leech bed that will get soft in the spring if it has rained a lot. I'm pretty sure it's just a little light on topsoil there (which I plan to remedy here pretty soon.), but I have my boy push mow that particular spot the first time or two each spring just in case, other than that rest of it is just like driving over the rest of the lawn. I would never park any thing on it for any length of time that's for sure.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #34  
I've been told that a 3000# car is too much for the drain field, after all its 4" corrugated about 8-12" deep with nothing but sand. Now if you live where they use #57 stone or use the pipe arc pieces that would affect it.

Mom used to park every weekend over hers to wash car, and has had trouble, septic Guy said to avoid parking anything on it, but it could all be coincidence. I personally drive my L285 over mine because that's what I mow with (2230# and 12.4-24 R1)

Around here since the ground flat out "doesn't perk" we have to run (if memory serves) a 12'x45' separate sand filter bed leading to ( In my case ) 120' of leach lines divided into 3 runs along a slope in my property. I believe the trenches are 2 to 3 foot deep, with the 4 inch corrugated pipe buried in #2 or #3 washed gravel all covered with 6" minimum of topsoil. Whew! That's a mouthful! I have one roughly 3'x3' foot section in my leech bed that will get soft in the spring if it has rained a lot. I'm pretty sure it's just a little light on topsoil there (which I plan to remedy here pretty soon.), but I have my boy push mow that particular spot the first time or two each spring just in case, other than that rest of it is just like driving over the rest of the lawn. I would never park any thing on it for any length of time that's for sure.

The size tractor I'm looking at currently is in the 1500#-2500# range like you, mostly because I'd like to mow around the house with it too. But if I found something bigger, which I don't really "need" then I could always keep the GT I have instead of trading it in and mow around the house with that. Best case though I find one machine that will work reasonably well for all my needs.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?
Wow, this thread really took off over a few days. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest over the 8N. Just to clarify, I am keeping the 8N. The new manifold and gaskets have arrived, and with luck I'll have it repaired by tomorrow and can finish my mowing.

Don87 is correct, a broken exhaust manifold is not enough reason by itself to spend $10k-$13k on another tractor. My 8N does have a bunch of other little problems (and big ones) -- but that discussion doesn't really belong here, so I omitted those details. It's a very good machine, and it even has the Sherman transmission for extra gears, and if I had another $1k of shop tools, $2k of replacement parts, mechanical aptitude, a muscular friend, and a couple of weeks with nothing else to do, I could rebuild it. And it still would lack a bunch of useful features that newer tractors have.

I won't say I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but cash flow is not a problem at the moment, and tractors hold their value well. I only really need to be able to do brush-hogging, minor snowplowing, and weed-spraying, but if I had a more modern machine, I'm sure I could find half a dozen projects here that I can't do with an 8N.

Many thanks to everyone who has made suggestions. I looked at a brand-new Mahindra 3016 with front-end loader and HST -- very nice, but $17k plus tax, ouch. There's a New Holland TC29DA available for $10,500, but it's 2-1/2 hours from here so I haven't seen it yet. Not much else available locally at the moment. I'll have to be patient and keep looking.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #36  
Advertised in Ocala FL, new ( possible new old stock) 2WD gear, bare bones Mahindra 4015 from dealer..... $11,000. Probably plus sales tax, 7%, and maybe some bogus dealer prep fees, but that's 41 HP for not much. No loader or impliments of coarse at that price. I'm only bringing Mahindra up cause I was kind of floored by that price.

Edit.. advertised on bill board, Ocala Tractor.

Last edited:
   / What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #37  
Advertised in Ocala FL, new ( possible new old stock) 2WD gear, bare bones Mahindra 4015 from dealer..... $11,000. Probably plus sales tax, 7%, and maybe some bogus dealer prep fees, but that's 41 HP for not much. No loader or impliments of coarse at that price. I'm only bringing Mahindra up cause I was kind of floored by that price.

Edit.. advertised on bill board, Ocala Tractor.

That is a good price! :eek:

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #38  
i was looking in to buying a kubota , i was thinking that the 0% intersest thing was just right for me, so i went to my local dealer, wile we was talking he told me that the smaller hp kubotas didn't have a frame so i would need to buy a bigger model. i don't rember the exact model of the tractor, because i was there getting my saw chain put on was just talking to pass time.