Buying Advice What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #1  

8Nmuppet

Tractor
Mahindra 3016 HST
Advice, anyone? I've got a Ford 8N that I've been using for the past decade for mowing the dry hillside around my house, and occasionally for clearing a foot of snow from the driveway and road, plus miscellaneous other tasks. Thanks to a wobbly vertical muffler I now have a cracked exhaust manifold. Parts are on order and I can probably fix it myself, but this is the wake-up call that it's time to upgrade to something a bit more reliable.

We're in a semi-arid area, so I only mow twice a year (about 2 acres), and the snow is never very deep. The hillside is very bumpy, though, thanks to ground squirrels -- a riding lawnmower won't handle it.

Another consideration: I have rather limited mechanical aptitude, and only hand tools. I've been able to do minor repairs on the 8N, but that's because the 8N was made to be maintained by a farmer with a set of hand tools. I'd like the capabilities of a much newer tractor, but I'm not sure about my ability to fix it when it breaks.

And I can't justify spending more than about $10,000.

I'd love to hear any suggestions of what model of tractor I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #2  
At the moment there are some exceptional deals on Bobcat "CT" series tractors both new and used. Bobcat is leaving the compact tractor business but their tractors are built by a fine Korean company that also builds Kioti tractors and others. These tractors are well regarded and parts availability is assured by Bobcat.

You should be able to pick-up a nice, low-hour used Bobcat ct230 for about $10,000. (A new closeout will exceed your budget at about $15,500.) A slightly less HP model named ct225 can be had for less.

Feature for feature the Bobcat "CT" series has always been an exceptional value. Now with this business transition the new, and in turn used, machines have become absolute bargains.

Last edited:
   / What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #3  
If you were not so far away I have a MF 231 for sale. Just kidding. I traded up from an 8N and regret the day I sold that little 8N

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #4  
I think a Kubota BX would be a good option for you. You could get a new for close to 10k but you would still have to buy implements. At least you would have a new tractor with a warranty.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #5  
Used or new Kubota BX is what you need.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?
Thanks, everyone! My wife and I went shopping at 4 tractor dealers yesterday, so today I'll be checking this forum for comments on the machines we looked at.

One thing that surprised me, when I started looking up data, was that many newer tractors have less PTO HP than the 8N. A brand-new 8N allegedly gave about 23 PTO HP; I suppose mine is a bit lower than that by now. My Bush Hog RZ60 recommends 25-35 PTO HP -- I don't think I'd want to go much below 20.

So that pretty much eliminates a very nice Kubota B7510 that had only 12 hours on it. :bawling:

The Bobcats and Kubotas both look good. Our local Bobcat dealer has exactly zero tractors on site -- I'm waiting for a callback to see if they've got anything at their other locations.

Looks like I'll have to raise my upper limit to $13k, or be very very patient.

(I'll probably keep the 8N, in addition to whatever new thing I buy, and use it for less-demanding tasks like weed-spraying.)

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #7  
You certainly should be able to find what you need in that budget, but I would expect something more in the 30-40 HP range, although that 8N is low in HP, it works like a larger tractor do to weight, tire size extra. I doubt you would be happy with a 25hp scut/cut. Don't know how to link from phone, but search "MF 240 4X4 Oak hill FL" on Craigslist, shows a mid 90s model 4x4, 41 HP with loader for $12,500.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing?
The Massey Ferguson 240 certainly looks powerful enough. I'm a little worried about the weight smashing my septic drainfield.

I'm thinking about a New Holland TC29DA. There's one available locally for $10,500 (1160 hrs, new tires, no FEL). Posts on this forum seem generally positive about it, except for assorted annoying electrical problems. 25 HP PTO -- borderline, but probably enough for cutting dry grass and weeds.

/ What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #9  
Looks like I'll have to raise my upper limit to $13k, or be very very patient.

Be VERY patient, check ALL sources, study up on the models you want, have the $$ ready and be ready to POUNCE. Make sure SWMBO is ok with a dollar limit so when something pops up you can slam the $$ down without a lot of discussion.
Check CL just before going to bed. It seems sometimes stuff gets put on CL because someone decided it had to be gone. I think that's why I got my Stihl 088 deal for $450. I think my M4700 for $12K was a pretty good deal also.

8x6SAM_0875.jpg

But that may be bigger than what your looking for :)

The bargains are there, you just have to be prepared.

Last edited:
   / What do I want in $8-10k range for light brush-hogging and snowplowing? #10  
I wasn't pushing that Mf-240, just pointing out $12,000 will buy a lot of tractor. Tractor data lists a Ford 8N at 2410 lbs with 10"-28" tires. I would hazard to guess that a Kub Mx4700 with its 3300 lbs and 17.5-24" have similar or less ground preasure. Not pushing models or brands, heck for that $13,000 you probably could buy a brand-new mahindra max-28, with 23.5 HP at the pto