Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #1  

rr2j

Whats this tractor worth in good shape:

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #3  
In my market. 1500-3500 for one that runs decent depending on overall condition.

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #4  
They were hot items for pull type combines and two row corn pickers. The double clutch system AC had in that era were awesome giving you an effective live PTO. The offset seat was great for watching the combine header without turning so much. If the crank is fine they are cheap/easy to rebuild due to the wet sleeves.

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #5  
First tractor I drove was a WD45 with a narrow frt. It had been upgraded to electric start. Not sure what year it was. It had a trip bucket loader, I don't remember if it had PS, but at 14yo I had trouble steering with a full bucket of dirt or rocks and had to steer with the rear wheel brakes. It's two point hitch might be a drawback.

If I were ever to restore a tractor it would be a WD45 with a wide front.

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #6  
I'm biased because I grew up with WDs and 45s, but I think it is one of the most useful of the older tractors, mainly because of the clutch system and also because it's very stable, especially with the wide front end. I think all the WD and WD45s are electric start and most that you find now have been converted to 12 volt. The snap coupler system is limited but it can be converted to a three point system.

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #7  
I'm biased because I grew up with WDs and 45s, but I think it is one of the most useful of the older tractors, mainly because of the clutch system and also because it's very stable, especially with the wide front end. I think all the WD and WD45s are electric start and most that you find now have been converted to 12 volt. The snap coupler system is limited but it can be converted to a three point system.

I was only 14yo at the time. I remember it had a crank on the front, but with electric start it was never used. I thought the owner said electric start was added, maybe he said it was changed to 12 volt? I can't be sure.:confused3:

/ Allis Chambers 1956 WD 45 #8  
I was only 14yo at the time. I remember it had a crank on the front, but with electric start it was never used. I thought the owner said electric start was added, maybe he said it was changed to 12 volt? I can't be sure.:confused3:

The WD and 45 had a crank fitting. The crank (If it was still around) was stored on brackets on the fender, if I remember correctly, but the electric start was standard and very reliable. We had several and the only time I can remember cranking one was just to see if I could do it. When they were converted to 12 volt, most people just left the original 6 volt starter motor in place and it really cranked it, but you had to remember not to crank too long.

The cranking power was really helpful when the engines were rebuilt, because the 45s could be fitted with D-17 pistons and liners to considerably increase the power.