Comparison Deere, Deere or Kubota?

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #1  

Stevson

Tractor
John Deere
I am going to buy a new tractor with a FEL and would like some help deciding which one. I thought I had it narrowed down to either a JD 4005 or JD 5055D but may also consider a Kubota. Have been to the Deere dealer and have prices but haven't looked at Kubotas yet. I have owned a Massey 35 and currently have an IH Farmall 424. Mostly I use it for brush hogging, some blading and probably what some would call hobby farming. I like the power and size of the 5055. I generally keep a few acres mowed and do quite a bit of "brush" cutting under and around trees and that is why the compact 4005 is a consideration. The FWD on the 4005 also appeals to me because we have some hills. But I have been using the 2-wheelers for years so I'm not sure how much that should be a factor. Any thoughts on these two or comparable models of Kubota would be appreciated.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #2  
I'd save myself thousands of dollars, and look at other brands....non-commercial use doesn't warrant the higher prices from what I've seen.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #3  
Just my personal opinion, but anything anyone puts on here is just there opinion. :laughing: For anything but row crop farming, I think 4WD is worth a lot. I'd never want to be without it. As far as brands go, get the one you are comfortable on and feel good about owning. Most of us intend on owning the equipment for 10+ years. It's a lot less likely you'll be saying "I could have saved..." than you will end up saying "Man, I could have had a..."

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #4  
Look at the Kubota L4XX or the M5XX series to compare to the 5055D but I agree you would be better served by the 4WD version 5055e in JD or Kubota. (or Kioti, Mahindra, etc)

As Kenny G says, its all our opinions, and $2K over 10-20 years of ownership is "small potatoes" when you consider everything YOU want and are comfortable with owning and operating.

Carl

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #5  
in my area a comparable kubota of the same HP/options of a deere was a good bit cheaper. Ive been around kubota engines for years and knew they were well built and long lived. Those factors led me to purchase a Kubota over a deere. Check out a L4600 or MX5100 kubota. 4600 is a large compact and the 5100 steps up to a little heavier drivetrain and a little larger loader... both are almost identical in size. 0% interest for 60 months is also hard to beat.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #6  
As Kenny G says, its all our opinions, and $2K over 10-20 years of ownership is "small potatoes" when you consider everything YOU want and are comfortable with owning and operating.

Carl

In the range he's looking at, it's more like $10k for equivalent machines.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #7  
In the range he's looking at, it's more like $10k for equivalent machines.

So you are stating a comparable 55HP machine from vendor X or Y is $10K less than a John Deere or Kubota similarly equipped? Well that's possible but it would be interesting to hear your actual pricing/buying experience.

I can understand if one is lightly used and low hours but steel is steel, and in a global market its real difficult to make any money being $10K under the others and stick around for the long term.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #8  
I am going to buy a new tractor with a FEL and would like some help deciding which one. I thought I had it narrowed down to either a JD 4005 or JD 5055D but may also consider a Kubota. Have been to the Deere dealer and have prices but haven't looked at Kubotas yet. I have owned a Massey 35 and currently have an IH Farmall 424. Mostly I use it for brush hogging, some blading and probably what some would call hobby farming. I like the power and size of the 5055. I generally keep a few acres mowed and do quite a bit of "brush" cutting under and around trees and that is why the compact 4005 is a consideration. The FWD on the 4005 also appeals to me because we have some hills. But I have been using the 2-wheelers for years so I'm not sure how much that should be a factor. Any thoughts on these two or comparable models of Kubota would be appreciated.

JMO...but with the experience you've stated this sounds more like a D-versus-K troll bait...(won't be the first time if I'm wrong though...)

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #9  
So you are stating a comparable 55HP machine from vendor X or Y is $10K less than a John Deere or Kubota similarly equipped? Well that's possible but it would be interesting to hear your actual pricing/buying experience.

I can understand if one is lightly used and low hours but steel is steel, and in a global market its real difficult to make any money being $10K under the others and stick around for the long term.

Sure, I'm happy to share what I worked through at the end of last year (took delivery in early Jan).

It wasn't exactly 55hp, but I priced the general 40-50hp range. My LS (47hp with FWD) was $21,500 delivered for: hydro tranny, FEL with QA, dual rear remotes, rear work light, 7-pin trailer connector, telescoping lift arms and stabilizers. The same tractor, as a Boomer 50, was a few hundred over $30k. A Kioti DK40SE hydro, with all the same basic features was $22,500. A Kubota L4240 with the same basic options was $32,500 (list was higher). I never got a final price on a Deere, but it started higher than the Kubota did (basing off list price), so I didn't pursue it. I talked to Case about the Farmall 55B, and it was in the ballpark of the NH. I didn't talk to a Mahindra dealer because I couldn't find one close by.

The Korean companies seem to be doing to the tractor market what they've done to the auto industry....and years ago we laughed at Hyundai (I don't own a Korean car BTW). :shocked:

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota?
Thanks for all the replies. I thought getting a new tractor would be easy and I thought I had done my homework at least with the JD's but the more I look at the options the more complicated it becomes. When I first talked to our local JD dealer I was thinking I wouldn't get the loader but have since changed my mind. He quoted me a "special" price of $16949 for the 5055d and $18149 for the 4005. Those prices were without the loader. So, for $1200 I guess what I'm trying to decide is if the trade off for less HP with the 4005 but FWD is a good choice for my purposes. For $24099 I can add a Frontier 5' rotary cutter and 300cx Loader on the 4005. I haven't asked for any other prices yet so I'm not sure what the package deal will be for the 5055D. Will be going to nearby Kubota dealer tomorrow or Friday.