Buying Advice Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted #1  

wodinsc

Tractor
Ferguson TEA-20
I am in the market for a CUT with loader. The main use will be cutting 3-4 acres of rough pasture and general loader work. Most of the loader work will be short duration light use. I have been looking at Kubota and NH because they are the only nearby dealers. I have looked at the L3200/3800 and Boomer 30/35. I pretty much have decided to go with the Boomer. Good dealer and nicer tractor for the money in my opinion. I need advice from Boomer owners on the 30 vs the 35. I would be happy with a 30 if it can run a 5' rotary cutter reasonably well. The dealer says that I wouldn't notice a difference between the two with typical use pulling a 5' cutter but I hate to spend that much money and then be disappointed in its performance. The 35 has about 30 percent more pto HP but costs another $2000. I have been using this cutter for 20 years with a Ferguson TEA-20. The ferguson usually does ok with it unless the grass is very high and thick. I am also torn between the shuttle shift and hydro transmissions. I have tried both and like the syncro shuttle shift but wonder if I would be happier with the hydro in the long run. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted #2  
If your really prefer the Boomer, have you considered saving yourself a bunch of money, and buying the same machine from LS (they make it, not NH)? My dealer lists the G3038 Shuttle (Boomer 35) with FEL for $15,800. It looks like there's a dealer about half an hour or so from you.

LS G3038 tractor loader, 38hp

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted #3  
with my ct28 (boomer 30) i run out of traction in medium range 1st or 2nd gear pulling around a 6ft box blade or digging into a pile of dirt with a loader before i run out of power. pto power wise i have run out of power running my 6ft tiller a couple times in heavy dirt but it pulls fine 95% of the time. I think it would do the same with a mower on the back but you should be ok with a 5ft.

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted
@GManBart: I looked at the LS at the closest dealer which is about one hour and twenty minutes away. The LS R3039 is comparable to the Boomer 35. For a cash sale, the prices I have been quoted are almost the same for these two tractors. The R3039 does offer two rear remotes as standard. The NH dealer being very close and 60 months zero interest financing is what is steering me towards NH. It will cost me 1000 more than LS to go with the financing. I don't think LS is offering any zero interest financing right now.

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted
@NICKB304: Thanks for your input. I had assumed that the 30 would could overpower its traction using an FEL or box blade but you confirmed it. My real concern is the pto power pulling a 5' cutter. Everything I read talks about 5hp per foot needed at a minimum and the 30 has around 22 or 23 pto hp. Specs for the lightest 5' Woods and Bush Hog rotary cutters call for 25-40 pto hp. I would love to hear from someone who is using a 5' cutter behind a Boomer 30 or other tractor in this power range.

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted #6  
@GManBart: I looked at the LS at the closest dealer which is about one hour and twenty minutes away. The LS R3039 is comparable to the Boomer 35. For a cash sale, the prices I have been quoted are almost the same for these two tractors. The R3039 does offer two rear remotes as standard. The NH dealer being very close and 60 months zero interest financing is what is steering me towards NH. It will cost me 1000 more than LS to go with the financing. I don't think LS is offering any zero interest financing right now.

You're right, I forgot that NH changes the HP, and lists it as 38, rather than 39....the Boomer 35 and R3039 are the same machine. Aside from the dual remotes, the LS also has a rear work light, and tiler 7-pin standard....not a major expense, but something to note. The big negative to me is that NH puts a far weaker loader on the 35....it has 800lbs less lift capacity, and breakout force at the pin....pretty huge difference to me.

An R3039H with FEL is running right around $19,500 in most places right now....give or take a couple hundred. I'd be shocked (happily so) if a NH dealer comes within even a couple grand of that. They wanted $8,500 more for a Boomer 50 than my R4947H. :eek:

LS hasn't offered any financing that I'm aware of. I've seen AgriCredit, and AgDirect in the 2-2.5% range for 60-72 months, and the "worst" rate I've seen was 3.99% for 84 months.

/ Advice From Owner of NH Boomer 30 or 35 Wanted #7  
I have the Boomer 30, but with the 4' cutter - I was going to go with the 5', but the 4' was a leftover model and they were selling at cost. Sorry I can't answer on the 5', but the Boomer 30 screams with the 4' - never bogs down in even 3' grass/fields - so I would think a 5' would be fine...hth.