Buying Advice M7040 or M9540

/ M7040 or M9540 #11  
The 48K is for 4wd, cab, fel, hydro-shuttle. I feel that is a good price when the M7040 is between 42 and 45k.

For $3k difference I wouldn't even consider the 7040.

/ M7040 or M9540 #12  
We went with an M8540 which is the same tractor essentially as the M9540, upgraded to the same tires and really like it. We were replacing an 80 HP so knew added power was not needed, but between the M7040 and M9540, I would go for the M9540 with a 12/12 transmission, certainly nothing wrong with the M7040, but I really like the 12/12 which you can't get on it and we tried a 70 HP and it just wouldn't do what we needed.

/ M7040 or M9540 #13  
I have a 7040 and really like it. However, I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both. The 7040 is a relatively big engine in a relatively small tractor, so it has great maneuverability - it can turn on a dime, and can get in and out of tight spaces. However, when I am doing tillage in the field, I wish it was heavier, and I wish it had more gears. Often, I find that 3rd gear is too slow, while 4th gear is too fast. However, these are trade-offs that I can live with. For everyday chores around the farm when horsepower isn't an issue, it will use less fuel than the bigger tractor. My advice would be that unless you will be doing a lot of open- field mowing or tillage or haying, where saving time with larger implements is more important, the 7040 could work really well for you. You can do a rough calculation of how much time you would save at any given task by being able to use a larger implement, and decide whether it's worth it. Like the earlier post said, it's time vs. money. Having never used an 9540, I can't speak to any other advantages it may have, like operator comfort or controls.