Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #1  

cordobaman

Tractor
POS Huskee
Hello TBN! First timer here, looks like lots of good advice given by you guys!

I have a 4 acre rough country yard and woody pasture to cut and 1200 ft gravel driveway to drag. I also have some wet/hilly areas that I spin and spin on. I am real hard on my current MTD 42" with Hydro trans needs repaired EVERY TIME I use it...deck is beat. Time to step up to something that works, at or under my $3000 budget.

Down to these:
Simplicity Broadmoor 22/44 (2012 model) $2900 with my trade, ($3400 no trade) Briggs "Pro" engine
John Deere X300 48" $3500 (no trade), Kaw engine
Husqvarna YT48XLS $2850 (no trade), Kaw engine (leaning to this one)
Husqvarna GT48XLS $3350 (no trade), Briggs "Endurance" engine

The Simplicity has traction control, but appears to have the thinnest deck, maybe for fussy, more manicured yards?

The Deere is being pushed as best quality by a local dealer, however it has no locking diff and is most expensive.

Husq: I like the fabricated decks, with how hard I am on decks. Also like the locking diff. The Y vs G is 20" vs. 23" rear wheels and armrests...worth $500? Concerned about quality/longevity.

Could the experts here chime in with an opinion or another suggestion? Thanks in advance!!!

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #2  
"Rough" is relative, but if it's the rough I think of, 4 acres plus some of that is woody pasture, plus 1200 foot driveway ... have you considered something like a Ford 8N with a rear mower, or some other older small tractor?

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #3  
Welcome to TBN cordobaman.

I don't think any of these mowers you listed are up to the task. I recommend you look for a better quality heavier duty used garden tractor if you can find one.

Anything you can do to smooth up your lawn areas making them easier to mow would be beneficial and any mower would last longer.

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #4  
Hi! welcome to TBN!

I don't know much about the others but the X300 is not enough tractor for your needs. I personally would look for a used bigger lawn tractor for your needs. An older 425 Deere or similar would work very well for you. A well maintained version will last you for a long time (plus a lawn roller!)

Not a direct answer for you, but given a limited budget a large job to do, I'd say you would get a better bang for your buck on the used market.

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please
"Rough" is relative, but if it's the rough I think of, 4 acres plus some of that is woody pasture, plus 1200 foot driveway ... have you considered something like a Ford 8N with a rear mower, or some other older small tractor?

Thanks for the reply. I guess my terminology is off. It is grassy/weedy, sometimes it gets pretty high. Lots of dips and bumps, shaved-off roots...so I bottom-out early in the season till the tops get knocked down :)

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #6  
Thanks for the reply. I guess my terminology is off. It is grassy/weedy, sometimes it gets pretty high. Lots of dips and bumps, shaved-off roots...so I bottom-out early in the season till the tops get knocked down :)

Oh, that's about what I pictured as "rough."

I'm no expert on lawn tractors, but I agree with the others that those machines you listed are marginal for the task, and it will take a toll on them.

For about the same money, you could buy and 8N and mower, and it should last you forever and a day. Didn't you always want a tractor? :)

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #7  
I have been using a Husqvarna YTH2454 for about four years on 3.5 acres of about the same type of roughness you have, and it is HARD on the equipment(and ***), maintenance and breakdowns aren't necessarily frequent, but I'm REALLY careful with it though. I had a 44" Swisher tow behind mower before that, and It worked well towed behind a 4 wheeler, however it was very awkward in the tighter spots...Myself, when it's time to buy again, I'll go with a larger garden style tractor.

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #8  
my .02 here...if you're dragging ANYTHING and loading those machines you mentioned the K46 Tuff-Torq trannys in the X-300 John Deere and Simplicity Broadmoor will leave you with a hefty repair bill in short order. Those trannys are marginal at best. I have helped numerous friends and neighbor with these very transmission. As for the Husky I think they use Hydro-drive units. Not much to say about these units...no experience but probably not much better considering the price point. You're spending some money on these machines you mentioned. The money spent does not match the quality. If you're going new or newer, I would move up a series or two considering your criteria. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with a hefty repair bill in few years or maybe less. If I was gonna buy a Deere yard tractor the minimum is X-500 or maybe the beefier X-700. Much more transmission If you desire Simplicity I would go Prestige or Legacy. They also utilize the more substantial Tuff-Torq's. Oh BTW ALL those machines I mentioned have options for locking differentials. The K46 is being tacked on every box store machine out there. Not worth the headaches and frustration of ownership IMHO :)

Last edited:
   / Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #9  
I would be looking at a SCUT....Kubota BX, Massey Ferguson GC etc. They cost a lot more than your budget, and used ones aren't cheap either.

I think you would quickly put the hurt on the models you have mentioned.

An 8N might not be nimble enough as a finish mower.

/ Garden vs. Yard tractor for 4 acres...compare, opinions please #10  
The don't make the right mower any more:

From GeneD14:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/farmall-vintage-tractors/61986-farmall-cub-3.html#post940966

57931d1153150009-farmall-cub-scan0024-small-.jpg