Terms I dont' understand yet...

/ Terms I dont' understand yet... #1  

Bellville

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790
Terms I dont\' understand yet...

I have been reading here for some time now and even posted a little before the server crashed and lost me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would appreciate some help with a few terms I have been reading lately and kind of know what they mean but can't say I could really explain it to someone else.

They are Top and Tilt, obviously some sort of hydralic assist for the 3 point hitch, but for what use?

A "4-in-1" once again obviously something realted to a FEL, but unknown to me.

A "thumb" something on a BH, but I don't know anything about it, except I now know it can void your warranty.

Since I have started reading here I have learned so much, and mostly realized how little I do know about tractors and related items. I also thought I knew which tractor I wanted to buy, but I have recently been able to double the size of my property from 5.5 acres to 11 acres, so I am rethinking the entire situation.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

-Jack

/ Terms I dont' understand yet... #2  
Re: Terms I dont\' understand yet...

The top n tilt will allow you to angle a boxblade, regular blade, rototiller, disc, etc. etc. This allows you to get different angles of the implement when using an implement. For example with a box blade this will allow to better follow a contour or to dig more or less dirt out, ie you get more or less bite with it. Same with say a disc. Instead of having to use the three point arm and move it in and out you just use the tnt to level the implement to the ground.

A 4 in 1 is a bucket usually with another piece on top. This is hinged and all you to do all kinds of different things. You can pick brush, trees, etc. up with it, it can act as a front blade, act as a bucket, etc. It adds consider versatility to your loader.

A thumb is used on a backhoe to pick things up with the bucket. Just think of your own thumb and finger moving together to grasp something.

/ Terms I dont' understand yet... #3  

Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's a few pictures...

But first you have to think of three axis of movement.

1. pitch(tilt your nose up or nose down)
2. roll(tilt your ear to your left or right shoulder)
3. yaw(turn your head to look left or right)

Top and tilt. The top hydraulic cylinder in the picture is where a top link would normally be. It adjusts the pitch of the implement. Not the height of the implement, the pitch.
The bottom right cylinder in the picture adjusts the roll of the implement. So if you had a back blade, you could adjust this to dig deeper on the right than on the left.
Those are the two functions of top and tilt. It doesn't affect the yaw axis.

Here's a link to 4 in 1 bucket pictures at Carver's.
Pretty self explanitory. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This is a link to a picture of a thumb on a hoe.
It allows you to grab stuff with your hoe bucket by pinching it against the thumb. Some thumbs are fixed, like this one, and some are hydraulically operated to open and close.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Or, like Doc said /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (I should have read the whole thread first )

/ Terms I dont' understand yet... #4  

Pics are worth a thousand words Moss. I'm not as computer inclined as the rest of you to grab and post all those links. Great job.

/ Terms I dont' understand yet...

Thanks Cowboydoc and MossRoad, great explanations and good pictures!

I appreciate the information, back soon with more questions I am sure. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Jack