Comparison Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn?

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #11  
with hills like that, I'd buy a Steiner or Ventrac. On a ZTR one of those times your going to end up in the pond.

(or buy a Kubota and get KTAC insurance.. they pay for machines that dumped into ponds)

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn?
We have a Kubota ZD21 (21hp diesel, 60" deck) and a Grasshopper 614 (14hp B&S Vangaurd, 48" deck) and 725K (25hp Kohler, 60" deck) . The Grasshopper 725K is by far my favorite one to operate.

Kubota ZD21:
Pros: Excellent Kubota diesel engine, nice hydraulically controlled PTO and deck lift, good commercial grade machine, no repairs in 600hrs
Cons: Rides rough as an ox cart, the hydro drive has marginal power on steep hills (it does have fluid in the tires which makes it heavier)

Grasshoppers:
Pros: Ride is the best of any zero turn mower I've run, especially the 725K (wide rear axle), very heavy construction, built for longevity (lots of grease fittings), G2 drive system in the 725K has plenty of power for hills. The older 614 has been an excellent mower as well, it's a 1992 vintage with nearly 2,000hrs on it and basically no repairs.
Cons: Traction isn't great on hills with turf tires (both have lug tires now), electric PTO clutch and manual deck lift.

I'd go with the Grasshopper for your situation. They are an excellent machine all around and not many people seem to know about them any more with popularity of the mid-deck ZTR's. Grasshopper has been building zero turn mowers decades before most of the other zero turn companies were even in existence (since 1969.) With the out front deck, lug tires and wide rear axle they are very stable, capable and extremely smooth riding. The Kubota models are very good machines as well, we've had zero trouble out of ours and it's very well built, just rides really rough.

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to tell me all about them! I'm really leaning towards the GH with a Kubota diesel engine. The smooth ride is really important to me if I want to mow fast.

I just bought a ZD326s and could not be happier. Very comfy to ride, adjustable suspension seat, hydraulic deck lift, built-in jack, great power, amazing speed, Kubota diesel engine!! Etc! Full disclosure: this is my first ZTR so I don't really have a frame of reference. But it is a sweet, sweet machine.

Sounds good! How rough is your ground? I really need to drive a Kubota and GH to understand ride roughness. I really like the Kubota and love Kubota machinery.

My only concern is ride harshness and difficulty mowing close to trees, etc. The grasshopper can reach up under bushes and fences. I hate weed eating and would like to keep it at a minimum.

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #14  
with hills like that, I'd buy a Steiner or Ventrac. On a ZTR one of those times your going to end up in the pond.

(or buy a Kubota and get KTAC insurance.. they pay for machines that dumped into ponds)

Now that there is some good advice.

We run a ZD 326 at the farm on mainly level ground and it is a fairly comfortable ride. It is a great mowing machine but it is a dusty son of a gun when the wind is blowing (side discharge). It's not good on steep slopes at all. It'll scare ya. It'll lose traction and start to slide on steep slopes and then you are just along for the ride.

When I was looking for a mowing machine at the very end of last year I looked at the front mount Grasshopper diesel real hard. It mowed great in the demonstartion area at the dealership. I think that I would have probably bought it but the dealership was one of those two man small engine repair shops that sold some mowers on the side. It would have probably been OK but that just worried me. I went with the Kubota F2680 instead and even though I've only got 30 hours on it so far I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

Now that there is some good advice.

We run a ZD 326 at the farm on mainly level ground and it is a fairly comfortable ride. It is a great mowing machine but it is a dusty son of a gun when the wind is blowing (side discharge). It's not good on steep slopes at all. It'll scare ya. It'll lose traction and start to slide on steep slopes and then you are just along for the ride.

When I was looking for a mowing machine at the very end of last year I looked at the front mount Grasshopper diesel real hard. It mowed great in the demonstartion area at the dealership. I think that I would have probably bought it but the dealership was one of those two man small engine repair shops that sold some mowers on the side. It would have probably been OK but that just worried me. I went with the Kubota F2680 instead and even though I've only got 30 hours on it so far I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

Ohhhh Kubota F. How much they run? That maybe also an option for me. Love the snow plow. Will it mow faster than a ZD or Grasshopper?

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #17  
Have you considered a Ferris? They have a full suspension system.

Have you considered a Ferris? They have a full suspension system.

I need to look at them. They seem like popular machines.

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #19  
PapaPerk, I don't own a zero turn so take this for what it's worth. My dentist said he had a Kubota zero turn mower and even though it was a great machine he said it was incredibly rough riding. So much so that he sold it. Not sure what, if anything he replaced it with. The Ferris sounds like a great machine for ride quality. You might want to check lawnsite.com to check out some reviews there. Stanley

PapaPerk, I don't own a zero turn so take this for what it's worth. My dentist said he had a Kubota zero turn mower and even though it was a great machine he said it was incredibly rough riding. So much so that he sold it. Not sure what, if anything he replaced it with. The Ferris sounds like a great machine for ride quality. You might want to check lawnsite.com to check out some reviews there. Stanley

Thanks for the info. Bet he was afraid it would shake his teeth out! Lol. I think I need to expand my search. Those hoppers maybe too pricey!