Comparison Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn?

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Interested in buying a Kubota or Grasshopper zero turn mower. I want a diesel. And a 60 or 72 deck.

If I get the grasshopper I'm thinking about the front mounted mower.

I'm interested on peoples feedback on the 2 machines.

I would be mowing around 7 acres a week and some of it is fairly rough ground. So smooth riding would be a plus! :D

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #2  
We have Grasshopper 725 cutting about 8 ac with steep slopes and many trees. The machine has about 1000 hours with few repairs. Bearings on the deck shaft and all bearings in the deck spindles were changed recently. The machine got new engine at the end of last year. We mow on slopes steeper than 45 deg. therefore proper engine oil level is imprortant as we learned the hard way. Otherwise it was troublefree past ten years we own it. Since our ground is also rough we got suspension seat for it.

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #3  
45 degree slopes in iowa...pretty good!
did low oil level starve engine on slopes? :-(

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #4  
Interested in buying a Kubota or Grasshopper zero turn mower. I want a diesel. And a 60 or 72 deck.

If I get the grasshopper I'm thinking about the front mounted mower.

I'm interested on peoples feedback on the 2 machines.

I would be mowing around 7 acres a week and some of it is fairly rough ground. So smooth riding would be a plus! :D
I owned a 2008 ZTR kubota (diesel)326 pro model.IMHO it,s the best commerical grade ZTR out there.coobie

Last edited:
   / Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #5  
Not much to go on as I own a Hustler, but the neighborhood "lawn guy" that does my fertilizer and cuts a number of neighbors large lawns has a Grasshopper. We have discussed the machines and he is really happy with his.

Last edited:
   / Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #6  
I love my Kubota tractor, but never tried their zero turn. I do have a Grasshopper though and love it. We mow 5 acres and until a couple years ago did it all with the Grasshopper front mounted deck. Mower has not had any major repairs,just good maintenance. We did add a Gravely zero turn a couple years ago and I really like that one also. Gravely will mow much faster than the Grasshopper, if you can stay in the seat!

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #7  
We have a Kubota ZD21 (21hp diesel, 60" deck) and a Grasshopper 614 (14hp B&S Vangaurd, 48" deck) and 725K (25hp Kohler, 60" deck) . The Grasshopper 725K is by far my favorite one to operate.

Kubota ZD21:
Pros: Excellent Kubota diesel engine, nice hydraulically controlled PTO and deck lift, good commercial grade machine, no repairs in 600hrs
Cons: Rides rough as an ox cart, the hydro drive has marginal power on steep hills (it does have fluid in the tires which makes it heavier)

Grasshoppers:
Pros: Ride is the best of any zero turn mower I've run, especially the 725K (wide rear axle), very heavy construction, built for longevity (lots of grease fittings), G2 drive system in the 725K has plenty of power for hills. The older 614 has been an excellent mower as well, it's a 1992 vintage with nearly 2,000hrs on it and basically no repairs.
Cons: Traction isn't great on hills with turf tires (both have lug tires now), electric PTO clutch and manual deck lift.

I'd go with the Grasshopper for your situation. They are an excellent machine all around and not many people seem to know about them any more with popularity of the mid-deck ZTR's. Grasshopper has been building zero turn mowers decades before most of the other zero turn companies were even in existence (since 1969.) With the out front deck, lug tires and wide rear axle they are very stable, capable and extremely smooth riding. The Kubota models are very good machines as well, we've had zero trouble out of ours and it's very well built, just rides really rough.

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #8  
I have a 1999Grasshopper 725g2 with a 25 hp Kubota gas engine and I love it, it is very reliable and cuts good and is very fast. It has the mowing unit out front and is 61" wide, it trims very well and handles and rides like a dream. It is the best lawnmower I have been on by far. Grasshopper is a fine machine and has my vote for sure.
John

/ Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn? #9  
I owned a 2008 ZTR kubota (diesel)326 pro model.IMHO it,s the best commerical grade ZTR out there.coobie

I just bought a ZD326s and could not be happier. Very comfy to ride, adjustable suspension seat, hydraulic deck lift, built-in jack, great power, amazing speed, Kubota diesel engine!! Etc! Full disclosure: this is my first ZTR so I don't really have a frame of reference. But it is a sweet, sweet machine.