Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Default Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn?

Interested in buying a kubota or Grasshopper zero turn mower. I want a diesel. And a 60 or 72 deck.

If I get the grasshopper I'm thinking about the front mounted mower.

I'm interested on peoples feedback on the 2 machines.

I would be mowing around 7 acres a week and some of it is fairly rough ground. So smooth riding would be a plus!

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: Kubota or Grasshopper Zero Turn?

We have Grasshopper 725 cutting about 8 ac with steep slopes and many trees. The machine has about 1000 hours with few repairs. Bearings on the deck shaft and all bearings in the deck spindles were changed recently. The machine got new engine at the end of last year. We mow on slopes steeper than 45 deg. therefore proper engine oil level is imprortant as we learned the hard way. Otherwise it was troublefree past ten years we own it. Since our ground is also rough we got suspension seat for it.

Tractor
    m8540

45 degree slopes in iowa...pretty good!
    did low oil level starve engine on slopes? :-(
    let the spirit of adventure set the tone

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    Interested in buying a kubota or Grasshopper zero turn mower. I want a diesel. And a 60 or 72 deck.

If I get the grasshopper I'm thinking about the front mounted mower.

I'm interested on peoples feedback on the 2 machines.

I would be mowing around 7 acres a week and some of it is fairly rough ground. So smooth riding would be a plus!
    I owned a 2008 ZTR kubota (diesel)326 pro model.IMHO it,s the best commerical grade ZTR out there.coobie
    Last edited by coobie; 05-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Tractor
    Craftsman YTS4000; Hustler Fastrak SD 60" ZTR

Not much to go on as I own a Hustler, but the neighborhood "lawn guy" that does my fertilizer and cuts a number of neighbors large lawns has a Grasshopper. We have discussed the machines and he is really happy with his.
    Last edited by PSUTundra; 05-28-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tractor
    Kubota L3240 HSTC

I love my kubota tractor, but never tried their zero turn. I do have a Grasshopper though and love it. We mow 5 acres and until a couple years ago did it all with the Grasshopper front mounted deck. Mower has not had any major repairs,just good maintenance. We did add a Gravely zero turn a couple years ago and I really like that one also. Gravely will mow much faster than the Grasshopper, if you can stay in the seat!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

We have a kubota ZD21 (21hp diesel, 60" deck) and a Grasshopper 614 (14hp B&S Vangaurd, 48" deck) and 725K (25hp Kohler, 60" deck) . The Grasshopper 725K is by far my favorite one to operate.

Kubota ZD21:
    Pros: Excellent Kubota diesel engine, nice hydraulically controlled PTO and deck lift, good commercial grade machine, no repairs in 600hrs
    Cons: Rides rough as an ox cart, the hydro drive has marginal power on steep hills (it does have fluid in the tires which makes it heavier)

Grasshoppers:
    Pros: Ride is the best of any zero turn mower I've run, especially the 725K (wide rear axle), very heavy construction, built for longevity (lots of grease fittings), G2 drive system in the 725K has plenty of power for hills. The older 614 has been an excellent mower as well, it's a 1992 vintage with nearly 2,000hrs on it and basically no repairs.
    Cons: Traction isn't great on hills with turf tires (both have lug tires now), electric PTO clutch and manual deck lift.

I'd go with the Grasshopper for your situation. They are an excellent machine all around and not many people seem to know about them any more with popularity of the mid-deck ZTR's. Grasshopper has been building zero turn mowers decades before most of the other zero turn companies were even in existence (since 1969.) With the out front deck, lug tires and wide rear axle they are very stable, capable and extremely smooth riding. The Kubota models are very good machines as well, we've had zero trouble out of ours and it's very well built, just rides really rough.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

I have a 1999Grasshopper 725g2 with a 25 hp kubota gas engine and I love it, it is very reliable and cuts good and is very fast. It has the mowing unit out front and is 61" wide, it trims very well and handles and rides like a dream. It is the best lawnmower I have been on by far. Grasshopper is a fine machine and has my vote for sure.
    John

Tractor
    Bobcat T300

Quote Originally Posted by coobie View Post
    I owned a 2008 ZTR kubota (diesel)326 pro model.IMHO it,s the best commerical grade ZTR out there.coobie
    I just bought a ZD326s and could not be happier. Very comfy to ride, adjustable suspension seat, hydraulic deck lift, built-in jack, great power, amazing speed, Kubota diesel engine!! Etc! Full disclosure: this is my first ZTR so I don't really have a frame of reference. But it is a sweet, sweet machine.

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by big bubba View Post
    45 degree slopes in iowa...pretty good!
    did low oil level starve engine on slopes? :-(
    Exactly. We mow pond dam. Did that for years until the day when the oil was at about low mark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast