Buying Advice Need help narrowing down first tractor.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #1  

dwilley

Tractor
None Yet
I am looking for a tractor to do a little bit of everything. Loader dirt work, wood hauling, tilling, brush hogging, driveway blading. I have been doing numerous hours of research and I don't feel I'm any closer to deciding. I was strickly looking at used tractors but everyone is really proud of their used stuff. That and the fact that there are so many scammers on Craigslist these days it makes me sick. I found a New Holland TC34DA with 130 hrs for $17,000 that I thought was the one. I also have found a John Deere 790 with 330 hrs for $12,500. The price on the 790 is appealing but I have noticed that the rear lift is kind of weak compared to the newer tractors. Anyway now I am looking for new tractors but I don't know what I should get. I have thought about John Deere 3032e and 3038e, Kubota L3200 and L3800, and the New Holland Boomers. I really don't care what color tractor I get as long as it works hard and lasts a lifetime.

I am willing to spend up to $18,000 for tractor and FEL. I would like it to be in the 30 to 40 hp range. A must for me is that it has a HST and a quick attach bucket. My local John Deere dealer has a special on the 3032e for $16,300 and the 3038e for $17,200 both with FEL. A drawback to the John Deeres is that it can't have a backhoe which I might see myself buying some day. My neighbor just bought a new Kubota L3800 and it seems to be a really nice tractor. I think I could probably get one for around $18,000 with FEL. New Holland also makes a good tractor but I think they are higher than John Deere. I have also read that the LS tractors are the exact same which sounds good to me. Other manufacturers I have considered are Kioti and Mahindra but I don't know much about them.

Can anyone help me narrow it down at all. Like I said I don't care what color it is. All I care about is price and dependability.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #2  
Two words of advice "seat time". Drive them, sit on them check the controls then decide which one fits you best and has the layout you want. All of the tractor manufacturers you mention make great tractors.

As long as you know the hp range and price range you want as starting points, the only differences are about your opinion of the actual tractors. Some feel that dealer location is important while others believe you don't need the dealer often so it means less to have the dealer close. So the dealer relationship thing and location is a matter of what you want. I have bought filters and fluids from my dealer during warranty just so there are no questions if something goes wrong. Otherwise I haven't needed them. It is good however that my dealer knows my name even though I've only been there 8 or 10 times.

Personally I am partial to Kubota. At least I know where it was made and they have a history of building quality tractors.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #3  
I am looking for a tractor to do a little bit of everything. Loader dirt work, wood hauling, tilling, brush hogging, driveway blading. I have been doing numerous hours of research and I don't feel I'm any closer to deciding. I was strickly looking at used tractors but everyone is really proud of their used stuff. That and the fact that there are so many scammers on Craigslist these days it makes me sick. I found a New Holland TC34DA with 130 hrs for $17,000 that I thought was the one. I also have found a John Deere 790 with 330 hrs for $12,500. The price on the 790 is appealing but I have noticed that the rear lift is kind of weak compared to the newer tractors. Anyway now I am looking for new tractors but I don't know what I should get. I have thought about John Deere 3032e and 3038e, Kubota L3200 and L3800, and the New Holland Boomers. I really don't care what color tractor I get as long as it works hard and lasts a lifetime.

I am willing to spend up to $18,000 for tractor and FEL. I would like it to be in the 30 to 40 hp range. A must for me is that it has a HST and a quick attach bucket. My local John Deere dealer has a special on the 3032e for $16,300 and the 3038e for $17,200 both with FEL. A drawback to the John Deeres is that it can't have a backhoe which I might see myself buying some day. My neighbor just bought a new Kubota L3800 and it seems to be a really nice tractor. I think I could probably get one for around $18,000 with FEL. New Holland also makes a good tractor but I think they are higher than John Deere. I have also read that the LS tractors are the exact same which sounds good to me. Other manufacturers I have considered are Kioti and Mahindra but I don't know much about them.

Can anyone help me narrow it down at all. Like I said I don't care what color it is. All I care about is price and dependability.

The buys are out there, you just have to keep searching. I bought my Kubota off Craigslist 50hp, FEL and rotary cutter for 18k. Yes, it was 5 years old, but only had 300 or so hours.

I found a guy who was downsizing from a mini mansion / hobby farm in Overland Park to more modest suburban home and didn't have the need for it. Funny thing, I kinda thought it was a scam, saw it advertised for several weeks and never called. Finally decided to check it out and no scam. I talked him down a bit and bought.

As for what tractor to buy, your call. My opinion, bigger is better. There is a TYM dealer not to far from me.. I almost pulled the trigger on a new one. They have every option included in the base tractor. Stout, heavy tractors. But..I was concerned with parts availability, the lack of dealers, etc. Buying something with questionable resale value.

If you stay with the major brands, but used, keep it well maintained..and looking good, you won't see significant depreciation, which is something to consider.

Good luck!!

Oh and by the way, Welcome fellow Missourian! From what part do you hail?

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #4  
Welcome to the club. The last two times I went tractor shopping the choice ended up being a new one. With the scams and high prices on used tractors I gave up and went for the best deals on new ones.

One really important thing is to buy the largest most capable tractor your land/intended uses will permit. I'm on my 4th tractor in 23 years and finally hit the point where I can't imagine wanting anything bigger. Any of the earlier tractors would get the job done, but with a little over 80 hours on this last one I haven't had an instance of "gee, sure wish I had a few more horses".

The last two have had R4 tires. I originally chose them because I thought they'd be a better choice for using the loader. The majority of the hours on mine is mowing and the R4's give better traction than the turfs I had on one tractor and don't leave tracks in soft spots like my R1's did. I don't run in muddy fields, or maybe I'd be in favor of R1's. We didn't have plowable snow since I got the current tractor but the last one did fine with R4's.

I remove the whole FEL when I'm not using it and it's very easy on and off. We have a Montana (LS) at work and unless they changed something it is really difficult to get on and off.

I had cruise control on two tractors and never cared for it. I DO like having a seat with some suspension. The stock seat on the current tractor makes it a pleasure to use.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor.
I moved to Mid Missouri a couple of years ago. I am originally from a small farming community in Northeast Missouri where most are partial to green tractors. I am going this weekend to do some test driving. Since posting this I have been researching LS tractors and they seem like a good buy. I really do like Kubota tractors. I think they will last in the long run but I don't know if I can afford one. I just want the most tractor for the best price. I just need to go talk to the dealers.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #6  
My 1st choice would be a L3200/ 3800. It has a 3 range hydro, a removable loader, and skid steer quick attach. My second choice would be a Deere 3032e and 3038e are 2 range hydros, no removable loader, and have a JD quick attach. If you decide on a Kubota put something Heavy on the 3PH before you buy to make sure it is not jerky.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #7  
I moved to Mid Missouri a couple of years ago. I am originally from a small farming community in Northeast Missouri where most are partial to green tractors. I am going this weekend to do some test driving. Since posting this I have been researching LS tractors and they seem like a good buy. I really do like Kubota tractors. I think they will last in the long run but I don't know if I can afford one. I just want the most tractor for the best price. I just need to go talk to the dealers.

Last summer the dealer put me in the seat of my L3200 for just under $16K. Mine does not have a QA bucket, but can't imagine it would make too much of a difference. Couldn't be happier.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #8  

Born in Kirksville, lived in LaPlata, west of Kirksville on the Chariton, then SE of Greentop. Were we close to being neighbors??

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor. #9  
Kubota L series also has a jerky 3 point, may not bother you or may. Try it before buying. Ls makes a good machine too. Test drive the dealers.

/ Need help narrowing down first tractor.