Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #1  

flemdog

Tractor
JD 4310
I would appreciate any feedback on a mid mount mower over the 3pt. rear. I have used mmm, but all of dealers I visited the other day were ordering in mmm if someone wanted one. They told me most of the guys are using the rear mowers now. Thanks for any input.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #2  
I won't use another RFM since I got my NH w/ 84"MMM and SS.
My dealer sent some people up to look at my mower since he didn't have any in stock, 15 mile drive from dealer.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #3  
A rear mount mower is a little easier to remove than a MMM. I have a rear mount and love it. I find it useful to back the mower under trees with low limbs that I couldn't cut with a MMM. I can hear some of the responses now, Just cut the limbs. Well some of these are fruit trees and not yet tall enough to prune the lower limbs. I can also mow uner my rail fence by backing the mower under the lower rail that also could not be done with a MMM. So this setup works for me but everyones needs are different.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #4  
I think that mid mount mowers are typically a little harder to mount and dismount and usually cost more than a comparable rear mount mower. The mid mount mower might give you a little better control of your cutting, but that would probably come with experience of using either one. I don't know exactly how all of the MMM are driven, either my a specific Mid-PTO, driven off of the front PTO or the rear PTO. I know that a small municipality around here (several years ago when I worked at the grocery store of the small municipality) purchased a compact JD and MMM. I watched the operator fight the MMM all summer trying to keep it going. It was driven off of the rear PTO through a Rube Goldberg series of belts and pulleys, and was raised up and down using the 3 pt linkage - all in all a really bad idea. The next year they bought a RFM and many of their problems disappeared. Of course, they may have not bought the correct tractor/MMM combo, and caused a lot of their own problems. Good luck.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #5  
I really like my MMM. It is very easy to remove/install. The anti-scalp wheels turn 90 degrees, pto shaft(mid pto) has quick coupler(like air hose). I can have it out from under tractor in maybe 3 minutes.
I do have a biased opinion, I have never ran a rear mount. I would think if you have a lot of tight areas the rear would get in the way.
The rear does have advantages, like easy cleaning, raise that sucker up and go.
With the MMM you have some other options also like Mulching and bagging.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #6  
Hi,

The one thing I did not like about my rear finish mower was that it moves away from a curved edge as the front wheels follow the edge. So if the edge curves to the left, for example, while the MMM would move with the front tires as they went to the left, whatever is behind the rear of the tractor will move away from that edge. I had trouble cutting around my pond and other things for this reason. Unless I backed up that is. Then the mower led the way...

If you do go with the RFM get one wider than the rear tires. As wide as possible is the way I would go. That way you can cut close to things like a long fence line without having to struggle to keep the close without hitting the fence. I only had 4" on each side beyond the rear tires and that was not enough.

The RFM was easy on and easy off. I like it really. But since it was not wide enough I decided to do something else. Now have a second tractor with a MMM.

By the way a rear discharge is nice because you can cut close to things on either side.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #7  
I've got a rear mower. I like it...easy to get on and off and backing under brush and near slopes. I get close to the house and fence with no problems, but I probably do more trimming then those of you with MMM's.

But the only disadvantage I see with the Mid Mount Mower (other then the $'s) is that they are pretty specific to one tractor. If you trade up or buy another tractor, you'll need to replace the mower too.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #8  
flemdog,

I guess the answer may depend on what model of tractor and what size mower you have been looking at. Some tractors/models have better MMM options than others. It would also depend on your lot layout and budget.

You could always get the tractor with a mid-PTO and go with a RFM. Try it for a while and if you don't like it, you could always sell it or trade it to get a MMM. It is always easier to sell/trade a RFM than a tractor/model specific MMM. The only problem with this route is you will probably end up paying close to list price for the MMM when not buying it with the tractor. Therefore, I would make this part of the deal up front when you purchase the tractor. Have the dealer put the price, or list price discount, in writing and hold it for a year or two.

Please let us know which tractors you have been looking at. People may have specific information about the MMM units you have been looking at that may help you make your decision.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #9  
I like my RFM for open areas, but i can't trim around anything with it. If you have a lot of trees to trim around it will be a lot easier with a MMM. The backing under low hanging branches does work but by the time you go all the way around a tree, it is an awful lot of time. I would trade my RFM for a MMM in a minute.

/ Pros and cons of using a mid mount over rear mount #10  
I have the Mid Mower and love it a lot. I have thought many times about the RFM because of taking the MMM on and off. But with all the trees I have I never would go with a RFM because of the swings. What I think would be reallly nice would be a RFM that actually hooks to your hitch instead of the 3point hitch. Then it could follow your tractor as it went around the trees. You would need the extra hydraulic line but I think it would work pretty good. King Kutter does make a pull behind rotary but it is not a finish mower. If someone made one I think I would buy it and then try and sell my MMM.

Just me thinking again.

murph