Kawasaki vs briggs

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #21  
JD Lt180 with Kawasaki 17hp. engine........over 400 trouble free hours. Engine runs great. Replaced the tranny but engine is great!!

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #22  
I have three MTD's and a Husky with the B&S 20+ hp and one ole Deere with a Kawi single lung......... All I can say is the B&S are easier to work on.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #23  
I have three MTD's and a Husky with the B&S 20+ hp and one ole Deere with a Kawi single lung......... All I can say is the B&S are easier to work on.

Is that because you have more opportunities to work on the Briggs? Just joking. I like Briggs too. Easy to get parts. But Kawi V2s are special.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #24  
Just from internet forums I would probably go with a Kawasaki next time BUT... from personal experience I would be happy with Briggs also. I bought an MTD made lawn tractor 13 years ago with a 20hp Briggs vtwin and it has never given me a seconds problem and it usually sits in the weather and I don't take the best care of it.

It will blowup the next time you start it now.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #25  
I have only had a few "newer" Briggs engines. One is a late 80s rider that didn't get a lot of use, less than 100 hours, and it has an oil problem. If you bog the motor down it'll suck up oil and burn it like a fog machine. It's done it for the last decade. It's on a sub $1000 Sears Craftsman. The second is on a slightly newer and pretty well used garden tractor that has a v-twin Briggs. It smokes a little and burns oil. But when it was given to me I found out that it doesn't have an air filter. Don't know when it was removed or why it never got reinstalled but it could be smoking from sucking dust, can't blame Briggs for that. The last is a 10 year old walk behind DR string trimmer with a Briggs Intek engine. The float in the carb seals against a rubber washer. When we were forced to Ethanol gas it ate the washer and the engine would flood itself out. I had to make my own seal as a couple of years later the replacement carb had the same problem.

Since then I have bought Honda engines. I think if I had the choice I would buy Kawasaki. As a kid I had lots of toys with the older Briggs engines and they ran great. The occasional adjusting of the points and that's it. Go carts, mini bikes, lawn mowers, you name it, I had it and they all just worked. Now I'm not so sure. I had the option when I bought my Troy built rider and got the Kohler courage engine over the briggs. It will not start unless you fully choke it no matter how hot it is but it starts every time. Of course it's 5 years old with well under 50 hours.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #26  
After owning several Briggs or knowing people who have owned Briggs. They are not as reliable as they once were. I have only owned Kohler and Honda. If I had a choice I would choose Kawasaki.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #27  
If you're going to buy a Briggs, make sure it's the Briggs Vanguard engine. The Vanguard line is made by Daihatsu, which is owned by Toyota. It's a really good engine, and is commercial grade that is built to better specs than the consumer engines. Between the Vanguard and the Kawasaki, it's a coin flip.

If the Briggs is not a Vanguard, I'd go with the Kawasaki.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #28  
I have an older LX178 Deere mower with a bigass Kawasaki. It is liquid cooled. It is with out question the finest engine imaginable.
For walk behind self propelled mowers I go with Honda Honda Honda.The whole mower.

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #29  
I have a Toro 60" zero turn with a 27 hp Kawasaki motor with 197 hrs with out any problems. I know that's not a ton of hours but I've been impressed as a former owner of mowers with other motors that have been oil hogs!

/ Kawasaki vs briggs #30  
I personally want nothing more to do with B&S. I have machines from nearly every name there is and the only ones that I have problems with are the Briggs.