Buying Advice New farmer

/ New farmer #11  
i don't know what loader is on that tractor but it is probably rated to lift around 1000#ish. you would have a hard time moving big square or round bales if it would do it at all.

/ New farmer #12  
I think your neighbor's John Deere would only be able to lift a large bale by a three point hitch mounted spear. I would try it first before buying it. It is more awkward that way, but it does the job. Whether that tractor could do it well I do not know.

/ New farmer #13  
Thanks for all the input. Here is my dilema, I have a neighbor looking to sell a 1999 John Deere 4300 with a loader. It appears to be around 32hp and weight of only 3000#, but it is a 4wd. Would I be better off passing on this for a larger tractor or trying it and hopefully not losing too much money if I need to sell it.

I anticipate using the tractor mainly around the homestead (snow, mowing, general moving stuff) and trails through the woods as I won't be doing any haying. I will need to use it to move purchased hay which would probably be big square or round bales. Ideally I would like to stay around 20k as I need to get other things for the farm as well.

Thanks for all your help and input as I am a complete newbie.

Todd

A 4300 is way too small for your needs, it would be a good size for a second tractor for smaller jobs. Budgets can be tough, for most of us it takes time to build up a variety of equipment, join the club. One solution is to hold off on having the livestock till you are prepared for them, you could use a smaller tractor such as the 4300 for fence repair and work around the house. Get as many things done as you can do with what you have. There are a lot of things you can do with a small tractor and there is no end to the work that needs to be done.

If you keep livestock over the winter they absolutely have to be fed no matter what the weather conditions are. A larger tractor and implements are invaluable for making improvements on a farm but understandably they aren't cheap either. When you need to move a large bale and the snow is deep you will need a medium sized utility tractor to do it.

/ New farmer #14  
Sound advice from all round (with the proviso that I do not use a front end loader - and I have farmed a lot of ground in several countries) but I would particularly recomend that you imprint on your mind the advice in Posts 6 and 13. Buying livestock should be well down your list of priorities. Despite my lifetime's experience I was three years on my present property before I felt I was in a position to be "prepared for them" as jenkinsph posted above.

/ New farmer
A 4300 is way too small for your needs, it would be a good size for a second tractor for smaller jobs. Budgets can be tough, for most of us it takes time to build up a variety of equipment, join the club. One solution is to hold off on having the livestock till you are prepared for them, you could use a smaller tractor such as the 4300 for fence repair and work around the house. Get as many things done as you can do with what you have. There are a lot of things you can do with a small tractor and there is no end to the work that needs to be done.

If you keep livestock over the winter they absolutely have to be fed no matter what the weather conditions are. A larger tractor and implements are invaluable for making improvements on a farm but understandably they aren't cheap either. When you need to move a large bale and the snow is deep you will need a medium sized utility tractor to do it.

Thanks for your help. I don't plan to have large animals for 2 to 3 years as I need to convert old crop land to pastures next spring. I am hearing that I will probably need a larger utility tractor at some point, but that something like a 4300 would work around the homestead with things like moving snow, fencing, and general projects. My neighbor is asking 14,500 for the 1999 4300 with a 430 loader and 45 rear blade. I know every situation is different, but opinions on buying this v. older 2wd for homestead work that I could probably get for 8 to 10k.

Thanks again for all your help.

Todd

/ New farmer #16  
Todd,
Curious about the conversion of the crop land to pasture, do you plan on hiring this done or doing it yourself? How many acres do you need to convert?

A larger tractor such as the 5075E can do this work and be there to move the large round or square bales. If you can start out with the right tractor from square one you will be much better off. I see lots of people come on this forum and buy too small only to trade up within a couple of years, this cost even more money. While I think you could get some work done with the 4300 I can tell you from my experience that a larger tractor would be a much better choice for the work you have outlined.

The issue besides the small size of the 4300 is that you will need to buy lots of small attachments for it and that is costly. Most of the attachments and implements you would buy for the 4300 are too small for the larger projects and won't be useful with a larger tractor. I would much prefer to buy the larger tractor and add the larger implements and attachments as they can be afforded. I am a firm believer in buy it right and buy it once.

/ New farmer
Todd,
Curious about the conversion of the crop land to pasture, do you plan on hiring this done or doing it yourself? How many acres do you need to convert?

This is the exciting part for me. There is about 50 acres that have been row cropped for years, but was originally part of an oak savannah. My plan is to plant native grasses and legumes that can ge used for the pasture. I am planning on hiring this out as I don't have the tractor yet and the native grasses also require a special drill to plant them with that I don't have.

I looked at a few John Deere tractors today at a dealership and am now more confused if a 3000, 4000 , or 5000 series type tractor would be the best choice. I will need to do some more research.

Thanks, Todd

/ New farmer #18  
I too was interested in your move to pasture. I am a firm believer that all croppable land should go through a pasture phase and back to cropping, then back to pasture and so on. My preferred timing for this is four years pasture and four years cropping. I know it can be difficult for some people to achieve this, but it is for the long-term benefit of the whole property.

Anyone interested can start reading more about it in a book written a wee bit over 100 years ago by Robert H. Elliott called "The Clifton Park System of Farming". It is available on line and so far as I have been able to ascertain I believe he at least pioneered, if not inveneted, this particular rotation. I have not farmed in the US but it works in several other countries. I have found a great increase in soil organic matter - a rise from 1.3% to 4.5% in one field on my present property with the first pasture phase. Check you soil OM content in those fields you intend to sow down and then do a re-check a few years later.

/ New farmer #19  
I think your neighbor is over priced
I bought my JD 3032E with fel and 2 rear remotes for $16900 delivered to the house
that was 2 years and 280 hrs ago
I think it would do the job around the house just don't think your going to do much in the field with it other than bush hog
I personally like the smaller frame around and in the barns
4wd is a almost must if you'er new to tractor work on hills

/ New farmer #20  
Check out the website TractorData.com. You'll be able to find a lot of information on the JD 4300 (+ what implements it can handle). This also applies to darn near every other tractor out there, past & present.

TBN contributors advised me to add this site to my 'favourites' and it's a very handy site! :thumbsup: