Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Elite Member
    Advertiser
    MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,242
    Location
    4000\' mountains of Southern California
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

    Default Re: road grader

    jimfx, what tractor do you have, or are going to be using? There are a lot of CASE tractors.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

  2. #12
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,873
    Location
    SW WA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

    Default Re: road grader

    Attachment 324497
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfx View Post
    I am looking at a device to grade my gravel driveway and I see that there are box scrapers, which I have tried and I ended up with a wavy drive, and land graders which are still a 3 point hitch device. It seems at no matter what if you are connected to the three point hitch that is always a possibility, or am I missing something?
    Thanks for your input .....
    If you don't like the 3 point hitch, you can do it this way. Even grade with a truck or car.

    Bruce

    Domor Equipment | TP Series Grader

    -tonguepulledgraderdomor-jpg

  3. #13
    Veteran Member PhysAssist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    Location
    Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

    Default Re: road grader

    Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post

    Attachment 324497 = A DEAD LINK

    If you don't like the 3 point hitch, you can do it this way. Even grade with a truck or car.

    Bruce

    Domor Equipment | TP Series Grader

    -tonguepulledgraderdomor-jpg
    These look great, but no one should be required to give all their contact information just to get a price quote.

    Do you have one?

    If you do, and don't mind me asking, what did it run you?

    PM me if you do not want to share it in public.

    Thanks,
    Thomas

  4. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,202
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: road grader

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfx View Post
    I am looking at a device to grade my gravel driveway and I see that there are box scrapers, which I have tried and I ended up with a wavy drive, and land graders which are still a 3 point hitch device. It seems at no matter what if you are connected to the three point hitch that is always a possibility, or am I missing something?
    Thanks for your input .....

    I think most of us can relate to the boxblade experience with wavy results. I have spent alot of seat time with a boxblade before gaining a level of proficientcy that is satisfactory. The LPGB with runners or skids are a different animal. When I lower a landplane grader blade I push the rockshaft lever down all the way which allows the implement to float up and down at will. The skids make all the difference, it is more similar to pulling a sled, but at the same time being a 3ph implement it is easy to pickup and turn around or back into a space. Having a hydraulic top link makes the lpgb easier to adjust trim but isn't a necessity.

    The land plane grader blade is easy and simple to use and functions quite differently than a boxblade which is operated often suspended over the work. I think this is the part you are missing. I agree with MtnViewRanch too.

    Here's two that I built one 48" and one 96", if you can weld you can save some money and have a better tool to boot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -butch-w-new-lawn-work   -butch-w-new-lawn-work   -butch-w-new-lawn-work   -butch-w-new-lawn-work   -landplane-002-triple-weights-jpg  


  5. #15
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,873
    Location
    SW WA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

    Default Re: road grader

    Quote Originally Posted by PhysAssist View Post
    These look great, but no one should be required to give all their contact information just to get a price quote.

    Do you have one?
    Don't have one, but found that one while researching graders.

    Long ago I saw many similar homemade ones, usually longer and with a single blade but no wheels. Small ones for roads and huge ones for fields. They were pulled with a chain by a truck or tractor. They did good work.

    Bruce

  6. #16
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Location
    North of Mtl,Que,Can (Ste Adele)
    Tractor
    MT180D

    Default Re: road grader

    For years we maintained 3 miles of gravel/dirt road with a home made rig that simply had 3 cross blades attached to 2 pullers mounted on top. We used 2 tires as a shock absorbers and chained that to the bumper of an old Willis jeep. After dragging that rig one would believe that fresh gravel had been graded by the city grader.
    The trick was that the rig was 8' wide and 8' long so that only bumps and lumps were shaved and the blades spread that excess all around and filled the dips.
    I basically copied from the old municipal horse drawn drags that the roads dept used back in the '40/'50's in rural Quebec.

  7. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,202
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: road grader

    Quote Originally Posted by PILOON View Post
    For years we maintained 3 miles of gravel/dirt road with a home made rig that simply had 3 cross blades attached to 2 pullers mounted on top. We used 2 tires as a shock absorbers and chained that to the bumper of an old Willis jeep. After dragging that rig one would believe that fresh gravel had been graded by the city grader.
    The trick was that the rig was 8' wide and 8' long so that only bumps and lumps were shaved and the blades spread that excess all around and filled the dips.
    I basically copied from the old municipal horse drawn drags that the roads dept used back in the '40/'50's in rural Quebec.

    While these drags may have worked to some degree they never were near as good as a newer land plane grader blade. Can't backup with a drag or transport easily whereas a landplane grader blade can smooth in forward and reverse, you can transport and position them easily too.

  8. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Location
    North of Mtl,Que,Can (Ste Adele)
    Tractor
    MT180D

    Default Re: road grader

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    While these drags may have worked to some degree they never were near as good as a newer land plane grader blade. Can't backup with a drag or transport easily whereas a landplane grader blade can smooth in forward and reverse, you can transport and position them easily too.
    That's true re positioning however for long runs that does not matter. Also if cost is of concern a well made drag can be the solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
  2. Land Grader, Utility Grader, Road Grader?
    By ANiforos in forum Attachments
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM
  3. Road Boss Road Grader
    By LoneCowboy in forum Attachments
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
  4. Another Road Grader
    By ww_kayak in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
  5. Road Grader
    By LetsRoll in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.