road grader

/ road grader #21  
Forget a LPGS, just buy a bi-directional tractor and this ...

/ road grader #24  
Great thread I’m looking at one of these currently to maintain about 3/4 of a mile driveway. I was looking at the Woods GSM84 or the EA 84”

Picked up a BUSH HOG RG72 today for $1100 delivered.

Last edited:
   / road grader #26  

/ road grader #27  
If 'Weight is your friend'... why don't they add a spot to the top so you can simply add weight? Similar to the 'angle iron' spots you see welded onto old discs?

It seems like it would be easy to add an expanded metal box to the top allowing a person to simply add a few cinder blocks or whatever, to add another 200-400 lbs over the middle.

I've never seen anyone doing this, but if its all about weight........?

/ road grader #28  
If 'Weight is your friend'... why don't they add a spot to the top so you can simply add weight? Similar to the 'angle iron' spots you see welded onto old discs?

It seems like it would be easy to add an expanded metal box to the top allowing a person to simply add a few cinder blocks or whatever, to add another 200-400 lbs over the middle.

I've never seen anyone doing this, but if its all about weight........?

When you have a lighter weight ground engaging implement, then start adding weight, the implement itself will eventually fail either at the welds or the metal itself bending or breaking.

A 500-600lb unit is no where as strong as a 1000-1200lb unit. But you add 400lbs to it and you are asking it to be. :eek:

So while the light weight unit with added weight may very well work as well as a true heavier unit, it will not last any extended length of time being used in that way. If you have extreme conditions, the light weight unit could very well fail immediately simply because it does not have the structural strength to withstand the pressures exerted by having the additional weight added to the unit.

That is why you don't just add weight.

Lot's of people do it all the time without any negative results, there are always exceptions, most that are ok don't have severe conditions that they are dealing with though. ;)

/ road grader #29  
When you have a lighter weight ground engaging implement, then start adding weight, the implement itself will eventually fail either at the welds or the metal itself bending or breaking.

A 500-600lb unit is no where as strong as a 1000-1200lb unit. But you add 400lbs to it and you are asking it to be. :eek:

So while the light weight unit with added weight may very well work as well as a true heavier unit, it will not last any extended length of time being used in that way. If you have extreme conditions, the light weight unit could very well fail immediately simply because it does not have the structural strength to withstand the pressures exerted by having the additional weight added to the unit.

That is why you don't just add weight.

Lot's of people do it all the time without any negative results, there are always exceptions, most that are ok don't have severe conditions that they are dealing with though. ;)

I understand that aspect, but it seems as though designing a slightly stronger connection and then adding a spot for weight would be cheaper than trying to design 'weight' into the thing in the first place. But, I suspect that isn't a goal in the design, rather a happy side effect.

/ road grader #30  
I understand that aspect, but it seems as though designing a slightly stronger connection and then adding a spot for weight would be cheaper than trying to design 'weight' into the thing in the first place. But, I suspect that isn't a goal in the design, rather a happy side effect.

I would guess that doubling up at every connection point as well as extreme reinforcing moldboards and such would end up being about or more $$$$ than just building things out of heavy material to start with.

Your 5100e is a perfect example. Your tractor would-could pretty much destroy any cat 1 implement and yet the tractor is built to be able to use cat 1 implements. Non ground engaging implements is all that is really intended for on the cat 1 side and yet people purchase light and medium duty ground engaging implements and want to know why they either don't work very well or that they get destroyed.

The lighter duty stuff is simply not intended to do heavy work on a regular basis such as where the true heavy duty implements can do it all day everyday without breaking. But it costs $$$ to have that capability.

For anyone to expect the same capabilities and durability from a 600-800lb implement vs a 1000-1400lb implement of the same size is just being foolish.

Just like most things, ya get what ya pay for. ;)