road grader

/ road grader #1  

jimfx

Tractor
Case
I am looking at a device to grade my gravel driveway and I see that there are box scrapers, which I have tried and I ended up with a wavy drive, and land graders which are still a 3 point hitch device. It seems at no matter what if you are connected to the three point hitch that is always a possibility, or am I missing something?
Thanks for your input .....

/ road grader #2  
Land Plane Grader Blades are hands down THE BEST IMPLEMENT to maintain a natural surface road-drive IMO. Yes it is still connected to the 3pt hitch. The runners along with the twin blades make this type of implement so good. The longer the runners the better. Now length can become a problem in certain situations and probably is one of the reasons that most manufacturers don't have them with runners over 6' in length, most are shorter that that. Weight is a big plus and 150lbs or more per foot of width seems to be the ideal combination.

People would argue, but in my opinion these LPGBs are better for maintaining a drive than even a motor grader. I have seen motor graders leave, even create wash boarding. I have never, not one time created wash boarding with my LPGBs. If the ground is really hard it may take a couple of passes to get a clean surface, but never have I made things worse.;)

Attachments

• P4190010.JPG
    P4190010.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 434
  • P4190013.JPG
    P4190013.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 1,256
  • P4260026.JPG
    P4260026.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 682
  • PB180011.JPG
    PB180011.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 400
  • PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 1,352
   / road grader #3  
Land Plane Grader Blades are hands down THE BEST IMPLEMENT to maintain a natural surface road-drive IMO. Yes it is still connected to the 3pt hitch. The runners along with the twin blades make this type of implement so good. The longer the runners the better. Now length can become a problem in certain situations and probably is one of the reasons that most manufacturers don't have them with runners over 6' in length, most are shorter that that. Weight is a big plus and 150lbs or more per foot of width seems to be the ideal combination.

People would argue, but in my opinion these LPGBs are better for maintaining a drive than even a motor grader. I have seen motor graders leave, even create wash boarding. I have never, not one time created wash boarding with my LPGBs. If the ground is really hard it may take a couple of passes to get a clean surface, but never have I made things worse.;)

SECOND THAT +++

/ road grader #5  
   / road grader #6  
Isn't most of the DR stuff for ATVs, smaller tractors or even garden tractors? He has a CASE tractor, so I'm guessing that it's bigger than a garden tractor. :confused3:

Yeah they are for atv and utvs. Garden tractors too.

/ road grader #7  

Third that!

/ road grader #8  
Back on the farm many years ago, we borrowed and used a land plane that was similar to the one MtViewRanch posted, but it was huge and was a pull-type that just attached to the tractor's drawbar. The height was controlled by a hydraulic cylinder like any other pull-type implement. Worked great.

It couldn't be that hard to build one in a smaller size if a guy had some steel, a spare hydraulic cylinder, a heavy duty axle and wheels.

/ road grader
Well, thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the DR unit but it seemed a but light to last very long ....
I do like the design however.
The more robust units caught my eye but I didn't want the box scraper experience.
jimfx

/ road grader #10  
There is a DR PTO trimmer thread I saw on TBN recently, and several of the posters were very unsatisfied with their DR Power Graders, going so far as to say that despite adding significant weight, it wouldn't dig in at all and was best purposed as a lawn ornament.

YMMV