Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Case

Default road grader

I am looking at a device to grade my gravel driveway and I see that there are box scrapers, which I have tried and I ended up with a wavy drive, and land graders which are still a 3 point hitch device. It seems at no matter what if you are connected to the three point hitch that is always a possibility, or am I missing something?
    Thanks for your input .....

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Default Re: road grader

Land Plane Grader Blades are hands down THE BEST IMPLEMENT to maintain a natural surface road-drive IMO. Yes it is still connected to the 3pt hitch. The runners along with the twin blades make this type of implement so good. The longer the runners the better. Now length can become a problem in certain situations and probably is one of the reasons that most manufacturers don't have them with runners over 6' in length, most are shorter that that. Weight is a big plus and 150lbs or more per foot of width seems to be the ideal combination.

People would argue, but in my opinion these LPGBs are better for maintaining a drive than even a motor grader. I have seen motor graders leave, even create wash boarding. I have never, not one time created wash boarding with my LPGBs. If the ground is really hard it may take a couple of passes to get a clean surface, but never have I made things worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails road grader-p4190010.jpg   road grader-p4190013.jpg   road grader-p4260026.jpg   road grader-pb180011.jpg   road grader-pc290001.jpg  

Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Land Plane Grader Blades are hands down THE BEST IMPLEMENT to maintain a natural surface road-drive IMO. Yes it is still connected to the 3pt hitch. The runners along with the twin blades make this type of implement so good. The longer the runners the better. Now length can become a problem in certain situations and probably is one of the reasons that most manufacturers don't have them with runners over 6' in length, most are shorter that that. Weight is a big plus and 150lbs or more per foot of width seems to be the ideal combination.

People would argue, but in my opinion these LPGBs are better for maintaining a drive than even a motor grader. I have seen motor graders leave, even create wash boarding. I have never, not one time created wash boarding with my LPGBs. If the ground is really hard it may take a couple of passes to get a clean surface, but never have I made things worse.
    SECOND THAT +++
    Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer--- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

Other options you might want to look into-

DR Power Grader (Driveway Grader) | DR Power Equipment
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
    Other options you might want to look into-

DR Power Grader (Driveway Grader) | DR Power Equipment
    Isn't most of the DR stuff for ATVs, smaller tractors or even garden tractors? He has a CASE tractor, so I'm guessing that it's bigger than a garden tractor.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Isn't most of the DR stuff for ATVs, smaller tractors or even garden tractors? He has a CASE tractor, so I'm guessing that it's bigger than a garden tractor.
    Yeah they are for atv and utvs. Garden tractors too.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130

Third that!

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Back on the farm many years ago, we borrowed and used a land plane that was similar to the one MtViewRanch posted, but it was huge and was a pull-type that just attached to the tractor's drawbar. The height was controlled by a hydraulic cylinder like any other pull-type implement. Worked great.

It couldn't be that hard to build one in a smaller size if a guy had some steel, a spare hydraulic cylinder, a heavy duty axle and wheels.

Tractor
    Case

Well, thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the DR unit but it seemed a but light to last very long ....
    I do like the design however.
    The more robust units caught my eye but I didn't want the box scraper experience.
    jimfx

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

There is a DR PTO trimmer thread I saw on TBN recently, and several of the posters were very unsatisfied with their DR Power Graders, going so far as to say that despite adding significant weight, it wouldn't dig in at all and was best purposed as a lawn ornament.

YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast