Tractor
    kubota b7510hst

Default need a flail mower

I never owned a flail mower but want one for my 6 acre field. I have 29 hp at the pto. how big can I get and which is a good brand?
    Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33D

Default Re: need a flail mower

It depends on how often you are mowing that field. If you are letting it grow to 2' to 4' tall and knocking it down, get something that covers your wheel tracks and plan on going slow. If you are mowing it every 2 weeks or less, you could handle a 7' machine. I'm the same hp range and pull a Ford 917 which is 6.5' wide. Don' know its back there for 6" or less grass but when I mow the neighbor's horse lots (no horse anymore) that is 3' tall alfalfa and clover, its slow at best. If you are not concerned about the finished look, go with the heavier "Y" blades. They last a long time and are mostly rock proof. I'm looking to upgrade to a 918H in a 6' model, but haven't found one yet. My 2 cents and I'm sure you have pocket change after a day or so. Find a dealer and ask for a demo.

Veteran Member

I have one of the old blue ford flail mowers @6ft, pulled with the 24 horse L kubota. Parts are still available from Ford. Used inside city limits on several empty building lots. Wonderful in the fall for leaves.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by brian301 View Post
    I never owned a flail mower but want one for my 6 acre field. I have 29 hp at the pto. how big can I get and which is a good brand?
    Thanks
    My first tractor was a B7510HST. It has 17 pto hp.
    Value Leader sells Chinese flails at reasonably low prices.

Value Leader Implements

I paid $1350 for their 68" wide model 4 years ago. I picked it up at their facility in Creswell, OR.
    Their 41" wide model could be run with your 7510HST.

Good luck.

Platinum Member

I have a JD 370 6' model which cuts approx. 9 acres. Works well being pulled by a 55 hp NH compact tractor. Not cheap at over five grand but a quality machine that will last me forever.

Tractor
    kubota b7510hst

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Blue View Post
    I have a JD 370 6' model which cuts approx. 9 acres. Works well being pulled by a 55 hp NH compact tractor. Not cheap at over five grand but a quality machine that will last me forever.
    Thanks for the reply

Tractor
    Kubota 2910

I have a JD 25A / 78" cut. Nice for mowing fence lines and around trees as it extends beyond the right rear wheel about 12". It works well behind my kubota 2910 / 30HP. If you don't have a FEL you would likely need to add some front suitcase weights.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

Stick with a 72/74" model. It's always better to have a little extra HP than not enough. Look for a used Mott/Alamo preferably a Super Heavy Duty model with the 4 1/2" dia. cutter shaft. They are very well built and will last a lifetime if taken care off.