Kubota L39 with 2400 hours

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #1  

jcarter524

Tractor
1953 Ferguson to30
Hi all,

Been Lurking here for some time. Love all the excellent feedback people get. I have been learning A LOT. I currently have a 53' Ferguson TO 30, but we are buying a piece of property that (long story short) will require a really significant amount of dirt work (building pads, foundations, ponds, swales, trenching for ditches and utilities, etc.) . I have begun to lean towards more dedicated TLBs in the 30-40hp range and have a few questions:

1) I am looking at a l39 with 2400 hours. It has the 3pts with it. Not sure on history of use, but still wondering what everyone thought about the hours. The asking price is 20,500. Anyone have a good idea what a machine like this should actually sell for?
2) With hours like that what should a buyer pay close attention to?

3) Are there other less expensive, but just as strong of TLBs that i should keep in mind other than the Kubotas?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

jc

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #2  
1. I cant comment on the price, but check out tractorhouse.com to see what they sell for.

2. I'd be looking over the backhoe and loader pins/bushings for slop and wear. Also check out the hoe and loader frames for signs of cracking, and/or being repaired in the past. Everything else is just a tractor, and check it out as such.

3. Yes. There are less expensive and STRONGER. But you get older and maybe a but more wore out. Backhoes from the 1980's vintage seem to be in the 10-12k price range, and still be usable for what you want. BH's like ford 555, case 580, and similar. But they are also about twice as heavy, so trailering may be an issue for you there

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #3  
3. Yes. There are less expensive and STRONGER. But you get older and maybe a but more wore out. Backhoes from the 1980's vintage seem to be in the 10-12k price range, and still be usable for what you want. BH's like ford 555, case 580, and similar. But they are also about twice as heavy, so trailering may be an issue for you there

Might add that those are full-size, construction type BH's. Great option for serious dirt-moving, particularly if JC plans to keep the TO-30, and a relative bargain to buy used due to the construction market. Downsides would be: there's no removing the backhoe to use 3 pt implements and some used units are well worn and could need costly repairs. L39 would be more versatile single machine. Other comparable smaller TLB would be Deere 110, Kubota L48, B21, B26.

Would also comment that digging foundations and ponds generally involves moving huge amounts of material. Any of the TLB's "can" do that kind of work, but are not really the best tool for doing such excavations on any major scale. There's a trade-off between size of equipment and time to do the job.

Here's a great thread about grading and building ponds:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/185261-gully-pond-project.html?highlight=pond

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours
Thanks for the fast replies.

Unfortunately I can't afford to have both so I am going to be selling the TO 30 and so am looking for something to use as an all in one rather than dedicated to construction. I was originally thinking a 4x4 ag. tractor with a hoe attachment. Something like a Kioti dk35 with a Wallenstein gx700. But with all the dirt work I am going to need to do I was thinking maybe not. What is everyone's experience? Is an ag. tractor with a backhoe attachment up to a descent amount of dirt work (not commercial or anything)?

Definitely looking at everything GD4 recommended. Is there anything else (like the Yanmar cbl40) that is worth a look? Like everyone else cost is an issue. I would love to stay at about 15k if possible.

Thanks again for all your input. It is hard to lever open the wallet for this kind of cash without much experience.

jc

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #5  
Can you elaborate on the dirt work any.

How big are the ponds you want to do? Just how may and what sized foundations?? Etc Etc.

Your to30 isnt really worth much. So if you can save a few grand and get the larger dedicated backhoe, and keep it?? At least until the bulk of the work is done.

If you but a 1980's vintage construction backhoe, and put a few hundred hours on it doing the bulk of the work, you could sell it for what you paid most likely, barring any catastrophic failures of the machine.

Other than that, as far as small backhoes like you are looking for, I think you really are limited to the kubotas and deere 110. Not much else out there that small and plentiful used.

I wouldnt go the ag tractor route. The loaders and BH's just arent near the power.

The dirt work plan so far (pretty much in order):
building pad and foundation for shop,
Trenching for utilities and drains
Septic system
Clearing, terracing rolling hillside and adding raised beds Maybe 3 acres worth)
400 foot driveway (converting an old two track so basically starting from scratch)
Setting posts for shop
irrigation pond/dam 1 (roughly 75x150x9 ft[at top of dam])
Trench for irrigation pipes
Swales
Pad and sona tubes for goat shed
cutting road to hill top (Maybe 1/4 mile w/ 100ft. elevation gain)
Irrigation pond 2
Swales
Trenches for irrigation pipe
Pad and foundation for house
Setting bents for house (timber frames)

Obviously I would still be using it for basic homeowner and ag. uses as well. I should also mention that the way the soil is (really loose and sandy on top) I am pretty sure I will need 4x4.

jc

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #7  
I have either done or wouldn't hesitate to do anything on your list with my tractor setup, except leveling 3 acres of rolling land, digging ponds and building a 1/4 mile road up a hill. Those jobs could involve moving huge amounts of dirt that would demand either big equipment or a very long time. Otherwise, a good sized compact tractor with loader and backhoe would be all over those other jobs, at least around my neck of the woods. Rocky, hardpan soil conditions would be another story.

/ Kubota L39 with 2400 hours #8  
The dirt work plan so far (pretty much in order):
building pad and foundation for shop, either compact BH of full sized BH
Trenching for utilities and drains Either
Septic system This would take awhile even with a full sized machine. I wouldnt attempt with a compact
Clearing, terracing rolling hillside and adding raised beds Maybe 3 acres worth)either machine, but will take time. probabally over the cource of a year
400 foot driveway (converting an old two track so basically starting from scratch)either machine
Setting posts for shopto30 with post hole digger, then either BH for setting poles
irrigation pond/dam 1 (roughly 75x150x9 ft[at top of dam])I wouldnt attempt this with anything less than a 25,000lb excavator and 25,000lb dozer minimum. Best to hire this out
Trench for irrigation pipes either machine
Swalesrough in with BH and dress with to30 and rear blade
Pad and sona tubes for goat shed either
cutting road to hill top (Maybe 1/4 mile w/ 100ft. elevation gain) as long as the grade is gradual and continuous, either machine. If it is flat and then a big grade, hire/rent a dozer and be done in half a day
Irrigation pond 2 if as big as the first one.....
Swalessame as above
Trenches for irrigation pipeeither BH
Pad and foundation for houseeither machien
Setting bents for house (timber frames)if 2-story, you need to rent all-terrain telescoping forklift. as even a fullsized BH wont have the reach

Obviously I would still be using it for basic homeowner and ag. uses as well. I should also mention that the way the soil is (really loose and sandy on top) I am pretty sure I will need 4x4.

jc

That would be my plan of attack their. about everything can be done either with a smaller BH of a full-sized machine. But the fullsized will be quicker.

Even a 2wd fullsized BH gets around very well, due to the BH adding tons of counterweight. A 12k lb 2wd hoe like a 580 case will out-push and out pull the 4wd L39 or deere 110.

I cant say I am really helping here. You cant go wrong with getting a smaller BH like a L39, or L48, or deere 110. My preference would be to get a larger BH though, and keep the TO30. Then downsize once the majority of your tasks are accomplished.

Wow that is helpful. Hmmm. I may have to go back to the drawing board a bit. I will keep you all posted with where I land.

jc

Any thoughts on a 1992 Ford 555c with 8500 hours? Obviously need to check it out, but is that the type of rig most of you would use for this.