Buying Advice Zero Turn Mowers

/ Zero Turn Mowers #21  
If you don't mind a little "overkill", and if money is no object, and want a solid beast...maybe a JD 997 is right for you.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #22  
holy crap that's an expensive mower!

/ Zero Turn Mowers #24  
I had the same decision to make two years ago when (one of many) my big box mower quit. I was willing to buy one more mower, it had to last forever (I'm near retirement age), had to cut three to four acres, my grass in the spring is usually wet so it had to manage wet grass. My tractor dealer suggested a ZD series mower. He send one out for me to try and the ZD323 stayed with one modification, he changed out the rear tires from turf to industrial. Since the rear tire switch, the ZD easily navigates muddy areas. And, the ZD reduced cutting time from three hours to around one and a half hours.

The ZD323 is a diesel, it uses around three quarts of fuel to mow. The old two cylinder air-cooled big box mower used about two gallons to mow the same area.

Do you have pics of your mower with industrial tires?! I would love to see!!!!

Does the industrial tires tear up grass?

/ Zero Turn Mowers #25  
I have a JD 757 60", bought it in 2005 from the dealership, it had been a demo so I got what I think was a good price. I have heard, from my JD mechanic, that you need to be really good (I neglected this for the first couple of years and only remember to check that my husband and son did it about once a month) about cleaning the grass out of the motor area, and keep the maintenance up because they will "blow up", in fact, he says mine and one other are the only two that he hasn't replaced some major engine part.

That said, last year I had to replace some 'clutch' mechanism, I'll be honest, I am not a grease monkey, I operate the equipment and trust that my mechanic is honest, so I just cringe when it is an expensive repair, and that one was somewhere near the $500 mark. After that, a plug came unplugged, the one that seems to connect the power to the mower deck when you turn that on, twice, but once I realized that it wasn't getting completely plugged in, it has not come loose again. Also, we mow around 2 acres of lawn around the house, barn and what I call the common areas and edge about a mile of fence in the horse pastures with this, 2 laps, before mowing with the tractor. I also use it for my smallest horse paddocks (super small for quarantine, dieting, or injury induced rest limited movement of horse).

It is fast, and if my horse pastures were lawn smooth (they are not) it would be awesome, but it beats the operator to go at the fun speed in a pasture.

I'll have to go look at how many hours are on that mower, but it gets heavy use, even abuse sometimes.

I will say, I should probably consider trading it in on a narrower model. When we bought it, we had a lot more open space, now my husband has put in a bajillion (ok, probably only 125 or so) trees and shrubs and several gardens in the lawn/yard area making him do a ton of push mowing.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #26  
I would ask a dealer to let you test drive one on your property. I like zero turns; but slopes really,really suck with one. As for brand, if you want the very best and aren't too worried about money, for me that would be a Kubota.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #27  
I have a JD 757 60", bought it in 2005 from the dealership, it had been a demo so I got what I think was a good price. I have heard, from my JD mechanic, that you need to be really good (I neglected this for the first couple of years and only remember to check that my husband and son did it about once a month) about cleaning the grass out of the motor area, and keep the maintenance up because they will "blow up", in fact, he says mine and one other are the only two that he hasn't replaced some major engine part.

That said, last year I had to replace some 'clutch' mechanism, I'll be honest, I am not a grease monkey, I operate the equipment and trust that my mechanic is honest, so I just cringe when it is an expensive repair, and that one was somewhere near the $500 mark. After that, a plug came unplugged, the one that seems to connect the power to the mower deck when you turn that on, twice, but once I realized that it wasn't getting completely plugged in, it has not come loose again. Also, we mow around 2 acres of lawn around the house, barn and what I call the common areas and edge about a mile of fence in the horse pastures with this, 2 laps, before mowing with the tractor. I also use it for my smallest horse paddocks (super small for quarantine, dieting, or injury induced rest limited movement of horse).

It is fast, and if my horse pastures were lawn smooth (they are not) it would be awesome, but it beats the operator to go at the fun speed in a pasture.

I'll have to go look at how many hours are on that mower, but it gets heavy use, even abuse sometimes.

I will say, I should probably consider trading it in on a narrower model. When we bought it, we had a lot more open space, now my husband has put in a bajillion (ok, probably only 125 or so) trees and shrubs and several gardens in the lawn/yard area making him do a ton of push mowing.

yeah the electric PTO clutch service runs around $500 to have someone else do it. the part isn't cheap iirc JD wants $300+ for it. Which engine is on yours? the Kawasaki? I've read that they had a run of engines (not just on the JD) had some sorta bad seal or bushing that will manifest itself first as an oil leak, and if you don't keep oil in it, obviously it'll burn up. I think though that the affected ones usually crapped out between the 500 and 1000 hour mark.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #28  
I have 3 acres of grass with some pretty good hills and more than enough trees, buildings, etc. Our ground is not golf-course like...some good bumps. I tried a large commercial zero turn mower and while it flew, it was difficult to control on the hills and at speed, was very rough. I ended up going with a high quality Simplicity Landlord (used) tractor with 54 inch deck. While it is not fast like the ZTR mower, it is very stable on hills and produces a great cut. I'm happy with my choice; a higher end tractor with serviceable hydrostat.

Good luck!
Mike

/ Zero Turn Mowers #29  
I need some help. I am looking at getting a new mower and I want something built to last and cuts grass evenly. I think a zero turn is what I want but I need help clarifying this: Are zero turn mowers terrible on grades?
Next question: What do I buy? I only have 2 acres to mow, quite a few hills.
Kubota, Husqvarna, Bad Boy, Toro, John Deere? Other? Any suggestions or feedback? What are your experiences with your zero turn? Good/bad?

you are wise to be cautious w/slopes & zero turns. certainly a 60" or more would be more stable than a lesser one. i have a smaller 34" one as back up to my larger, and fluid filled my rear tires for more traction & stability. (but check that it doesn't void warranty) and had ft. tires foam filled for same reason. of course there are large commercial walk behinds, but imagine you want the convenience of a rider. it's amazing how many manufacturers are out there right now...as you've noticed, everyone praises their own brand. my advice is to check specs & look @ dealer. the deck construction is crucial (go with welded)...in terms of makes, lots of proven models out there, but given the investment, i would stay clear of consumer grade (husky, john deere, troy build). just step on their deck & you'll see why. but your main decision is slope. there are front mounted mowers that are probably more stable, but pricey. tough choice. you might have a dealer come out & try w/used mower to scope things out also, try your thread in the general lawn & garden forum, bet you get good advice. good luck!

/ Zero Turn Mowers #30  
I have a Skag tiger cat with a 61" cut. I do custom mowing from time to time, flat land to hilly terain. I have never had a problem nor have i felt uncomfortable with it on hills I love my zero turn! . . . John