Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #21  
I'd pick the big garden tractor unless you want a FEL or see the need for 3pt attachments, then a sub-compact is for you.

Will

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #22  
I am buying at 4500 series Ventrac with 50 inch deck.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #23  
What is the general color of mowers you see in your area?? I wonder why?? In my area it's "green" 4 to 1.

Most of them are that junk from lowes.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
I suggested the x758 because I think it is better for mowing. Often the people with the subcompacts feel the low range is too slow and the high range is too fast for mowing. The 0 to 8.5mph single range hydro works well on the 700 series. Now if you want a fel then the 1000 series is a better choice, both the x700 series and the 1000 series are poor choices if you need a real larger tractor. Be careful what you choose and pick according to your needs, I suggested the x758 because it met the uses you described. Good luck with it.

Thanks. I will have to look at those too - it makes sense especially given the ranges. I didn't realize the 1 series was dual range. If the high range is too fast, and the low range is too slow, then that is the same problem I have now but with a lot more money out the window. :) Personally, I'd prefer a manual over an HST for the finer control. But it doesn't look like JD makes these, at least on the 1 series anyway.

Last edited:
   / Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #26  
Thanks. I will have to look at those too - it makes sense especially given the ranges. I didn't realize the 1 series was dual range. If the high range is too fast, and the low range is too slow, then that is the same problem I have now but with a lot more money out the window. :) Personally, I'd prefer a manual over an HST for the finder control. But it doesn't look like JD makes these, at least on the 1 series anyway.

It's hard to find anything in the SCUT and down size with gear drive.

My Brother has a larger L3240 CUT with HST. I find it to be unsteady and I'm constantly adjusting to get the right speed.

My JD 2210, which is the predecessor to the now 1 Series, is HST, two speed range. I'm 95% high range but I don't have an FEL. I'm usually doing mowing tasks or light 3pt work. It's HST is very smooth and predictable. I wouldn't consider changing it to gear drive, even if I could.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
What is the general color of mowers you see in your area?? I wonder why?? In my area it's "green" 4 to 1.

While you're at it, get out of the lawn tractor business and step up to a SCUT. Lot's more versatility later on when your needs grow,,,, as they will..... :)
It's green by about 10 to 1 I would guess. We have a lot of farms and big (5+ acres) lots near us. Most of them are the real thing too (ie, no Lowe's/HD "0.5 acre homeowner" models).

I'd pick the big garden tractor unless you want a FEL or see the need for 3pt attachments, then a sub-compact is for you.

Will

I didn't think I would need an FEL, but while discussing this with the wife she said "well you never know". I think you can also use one to push snow? If that's the case it might not be worth it - push the snow then use the FEL to move it into piles.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #28  
Deere 4105. Bullet proof and costs about the same as a high end lawn tractor. Will handle real farm implements instead of lawn implements. Enough weight and traction to pull out a stuck vehicle. Enough power to run an ordinary low buck pto generator for your home and family. Still fits in the garage.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #30  
Thanks. I will have to look at those too - it makes sense especially given the ranges. I didn't realize the 1 series was dual range. If the high range is too fast, and the low range is too slow, then that is the same problem I have now but with a lot more money out the window. :) Personally, I'd prefer a manual over an HST for the finder control. But it doesn't look like JD makes these, at least on the 1 series anyway.

When you look around you will notice that almost everything in the smaller machines is hydrostaticic. People like them, they work well and are here to stay. I prefer them for my work building landscapes too. All the new tractors I have purchased in the last few years are hydro and feel were a good choice overall. Very good for the close quarters work I do so frequently. I use my x749 for light touch up work with an assortment of rear implements and it does save me some time and labor money but neither the x700 or 1000 series can compete well against a larger compact for the bulk of the larger jobs. For the most part I prefer to keep the x749 as light as possible for mowing tasks, I can easily add or subtract the front weights as needed. Would not even consider liquid ballast or rear wheel weights that would be hard to remove on a mower.