Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #1  

ajd187

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 1025R
Three years ago, when I moved to my house with 3 acres and a big driveway, my wife and I bought a Deere X320. See thread here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-lawn-garden/171486-best-deere-my-2-acre.html

We also bought a 30" Troy Bilt snow blower from Lowe's to do the driveway.

Well fast forward to now. I have the following issues with the equipment:
  • The X320 does the job, but man does it take a long time. I'm at ~2 hours to cut the lawn. We now have a 1 year old in the house and I would rather spend time with her than cut grass.
  • The snow blower is atrociously slow. It is frustrating to work with and does not do well in deep snow. Takes a good amount of time; see previous comment about the little girl.

My initial instinct was to go for a ZTR with a bigger deck, and get a plow contract for the snow (with the blower for backup when the plow guy doesn't show). But, lately I have been looking at sub compact tractors instead.

I'm looking at two classes of tractor: the Deere X7xx series, and the Deere 1 series/Kubota BX/Mahindra/Kioti equivilants. Probably with at least a 54" deck, and maybe a blade also.

Is this overkill, or does it sound about right for the job?

Also, any insights on the import tractors (Mahindra and Kioti) in terms of cost/features set vs Deere? For full disclosure, I have dealers for all of these brands within 30 minutes of my house (Kubota and Deere are the closest, the Kubota guy is so close I could drive to my house haha).

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #2  
I don't think they are overkill if they are within your budget. I have larger tractor on a smaller lot (2.5 acres) and it is probably overkill. For what you are thinking of doing, I think the 1 series would be great. And while the x700 series tractors are supposed to be great, I think you get more for your money with the scut. I am a little partial to deere myself because I have had good experience with my dealer and I like the mowers I have had experience with. The tractor I have now and others I have owned/ used have been by chance... I was not necessarily looking for them but am happy with them. Of the other brands you mentioned, I haven't really heard anything bad about them either, particularly Kubota. If the money isn't that important, I would stick with Deere or 'bota.

Also, any insights on the import tractors (Mahindra and Kioti) in terms of cost/features set vs Deere? For full disclosure, I have dealers for all of these brands within 30 minutes of my house (Kubota and Deere are the closest, the Kubota guy is so close I could drive to my house haha).

unfortunately, all compact tractors are import tractors, as far as I know anyway. There is some debate about some of the Deeres being made here (Georgia I think), but most likely are only assembled there from foreign parts. It is however an American company, and parts availability is outstanding. Better than can probably be said for some of the "imports."

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #3  
It sounds about right to me. The Deere 1 series/Kubota BX/Mahindra/Kioti equivilants are real tractors that you can use for many things besides what you have a need for so far. It looks like your driveway is asphalt, so a front plow would push snow very quickly. (get or make a squeegee for the blade) Those tractors can handle a 60" belly mower easily. I'm not sure that all of those brands offer a hydraulic front plow for your snow. They are awesome! You may want to consider a 3 point mower because you have a flat open mowing area. It's easier to install and remove than a belly mower too!

I have a Kubota BX25 with the belly mower and I bought the hydraulic front plow too. Not cheap, but really well built. The hydraulic plow really makes it easy to pile the snow and direct it to where you want it to go. Look around, see what you can get, pick a dealer that you like. Compare prices of the JD 700 series with the above tractors and it may be that the price difference isn't that much. Sit on them, test drive, see how comfortable the controls are, then make your choice. Have fun trying to figure this out.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #4  
1 series Kioti is probably the best fit for your jobs and budget.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I bought my X320 from the local JD dealer. I have never been back there for anything but oil filters, but they are very good. The parts guy there is a friend of my wife's.I'm guessing that as a repeat customer they *might* give me a better deal on trade of the X320 also.

My budget is pretty flexible but spending less would be better obviously. That's why I brought up Mahindra and Kioti. Looking now though, it seems that Mahindra is priced higher than JD anyway. Kioti doesn't have much pricing info that I can find. The Kioti dealer here (American Equipment) is one of the largest equipment dealers on the East Coast so they aren't going anywhere.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
1 series Kioti is probably the best fit for your jobs and budget.

Thanks..how does Kioti compare to JD and Kubota cost and feature wise?

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #7  
Get a BX.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #8  
I just found out that Kioti is now owned by Bobcat. Can anyone confirm or deny this for us? I have the 2520. My 62D drive over MMM takes less than 3 minutes to completely hook up. And I have serious back problems that limits some of what I do (i move very slow at times so as not to irritate it). I believe the 1 series has a very similar hook up. Also, check to see what catagory of 3 point it has. That could be another deciding factor for you.

Basically, go to the different dealers and set on and possibly play with the machines you are looking at. At least then you can get a better feel for which direction you want to go. Yes I have JD, however some of the others mentioned are very good machines too. I have operated other name brands both small and large, and have enjoyed them. One thing for me was how I was treated at the dealership. My tractor guy was way too great to me.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #9  
I just found out that Kioti is now owned by Bobcat. Can anyone confirm or deny this for us? I have the 2520. My 62D drive over MMM takes less than 3 minutes to completely hook up. And I have serious back problems that limits some of what I do (i move very slow at times so as not to irritate it). I believe the 1 series has a very similar hook up. Also, check to see what catagory of 3 point it has. That could be another deciding factor for you.

Basically, go to the different dealers and set on and possibly play with the machines you are looking at. At least then you can get a better feel for which direction you want to go. Yes I have JD, however some of the others mentioned are very good machines too. I have operated other name brands both small and large, and have enjoyed them. One thing for me was how I was treated at the dealership. My tractor guy was way too great to me.
Unless things have changed in the past 30 days.................Kioti was making tractors for Bobcat, til Bobcat dropped the line.

And to the OP.......You didn't mention Massey Ferguson. I love mine, dunno if there is a dealer close to you or not. Try them all, cause they are basically the same, it's just that the ergonomics of one might be better for you than the others.

I would have had the Kubota, but for 2 problems(IMHO) 1) was the brake, which they switched to the left side........a very good thing IMHO, and 2) the full floating deck............Kubota recommends that you don't allow the wheels to touch the ground, and depending on your ground/yard............that could be a bad thing. A friend of mine isn't happy with his at all.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #10  

Kioti is owned by Daedong equipment and how long does it take to hook up a Snow blower and do you have to crawl on the floor to install it?