Buying Advice I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly

/ I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #1  

pyro6988

Currently I'm using a 1978 Wheel Horse C101 with a 42" deck to mow about 2-3 acres.

The old girl has seen a lot of years of use and things are constantly breaking. I'm thinking about upgrading to something new with a hydrostatic transmission.

I also have a wheel horse snow blower which I use in the winter which is in even worse shape.

My dad has a Kubota T1880 which I have used quite a bit and like. My only problem with the T series is no snow blower option.

I have looked at Kubota's GR series which does have the option for a snow blower. By the time you add a snow blower you are looking around $12,000. :greedy: The money isn't out of the question but certainly seems like a lot.

I do also have a sleeve hitch mount for the wheel horse and do use a 8" mold board plow to blow a small garden 15' x 30' and till with a Troy built pony. The new tractor doesn't really need to plow the garden.

Opinions/suggestions?

Last edited:
   / I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #2  
I am not sure if the Kubota garden tractors are that reliable. I would look at a sub compact tractor. You can do way more with them than you can with the average garden tractor.

/ I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #3  
I am not sure if the Kubota garden tractors are that reliable. I would look at a sub compact tractor. You can do way more with them than you can with the average garden tractor.

I bought my Kubota TG1860G/54" mower new in July 1998. Now has about 940 hours, and other than oil & filters, I doubt I've put over $300 in parts into it, and a fair bit of that would be belts. Can't argue with that kind of reliability.
Of course this model is no longer made, but I would not hesitate to buy this again, or buy a used machine if it appeared to be well maintained.

Pete

/ I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #4  
I bought my Kubota TG1860G/54" mower new in July 1998. Now has about 940 hours, and other than oil & filters, I doubt I've put over $300 in parts into it, and a fair bit of that would be belts. Can't argue with that kind of reliability.
Of course this model is no longer made, but I would not hesitate to buy this again, or buy a used machine if it appeared to be well maintained.

Pete

I should have said that differently, the newer garden tractors are not that reliable. I have seen a few threads complaining about weak hydros. I have heard the older ones are reliable.

/ I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #5  
If I were younger .... and was in your position ...... I would definitely look at a lifetime sub compact like a Massey. With two to three acres to take care of you will never regret the expenditure. You take care of the machine and it will last until your kids are using it & you're in the 'home".

/ I'm looking for a new garden tractor for mowing and snowblowing mainly #6  
I have a Simplicity Conquest with Snow blower and it works well but the deck is too heavy for me to change anymore due to health reasons. Am going to a Ventrac or Steiner for the quick hitch.