Garden Tractor Locking Differential

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #1  

ecolbeck

Tractor
BCS
Hi Folks,
I'm interested in buying a used garden tractor (possibly a John Deere) for mowing my lawn and hauling large carts of firewood. Traction is the biggest issue I encounter because I have to be able to drive up and down small slopes. My current lawn tractor will just spin its tires when I encounter even a small incline. I am hoping that you will be able to help me compile a list of older JD tractors with locking differentials.

Thank you

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #2  
Hi Folks,
I'm interested in buying a used garden tractor (possibly a John Deere) for mowing my lawn and hauling large carts of firewood. Traction is the biggest issue I encounter because I have to be able to drive up and down small slopes. My current lawn tractor will just spin its tires when I encounter even a small incline. I am hoping that you will be able to help me compile a list of older JD tractors with locking differentials. Thank you

Just a thought, but have you considered "loading" (filling the tires 3/4 full of fluid) the tires of your existing garden tractor? Many people have solved their traction problems with this simple procedure. There are also more aggressive tire tread patterns you might consider, or a combination of both.. Sorry I cannot help with the list of JD 's

James K0UA

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #3  
I have a Simplicity Conquest that has that.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #4  
Some of the older 300 series had it. My 1987 318 doesn't but it does have a split rear brake pedal so I can lightly apply the brake to the spinning tire and that transfers the power to the other wheel. I've never been stuck using that method but I haven't been hauling a heavy cart up a slope either.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #5  
JD 420 w/20 HP Onan!

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential
Thank you for the replies. How does one fill their tractor tires with fluid?

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #7  
You want a JD 455. Liquid-cooled diesel, power steering, and differential lock. Outstanding machine.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #8  
Here are some threads to look over

Click here

Tractor supply is one place to buy the "fill and burp valve" This is what I used.. click here

There are lots of other ideas on how to do this, including on little tires like on a garden tractor, just laying the tire down and breading the bead on one side and pouring the fluid in. Windshield washer fluid, is cheap and available be sure to use winter blend, or RV antifreeze is not toxic , and easily available. Methanol, can be ordered, but is toxic, but cheap. (same active ingredient as windshield washer fluid) and regular ethylene Glycol antifreeze of course is toxic if ingested. If you live far enough south, you can just use water, and the fill burp valve can just be hooked to the water faucet for pressure!.. Quick and easy. Most of the methods are fairly easy.. lots of ways to do this, You can use the search function to find more.

James K0UA

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #9  
Also be mindful that, when pulling a heavy load, stopping ability is critical. Especially if you go up the slope with an empty cart and down with a full one.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #10  
Sorry to butt in but James, How do I get calcium fill out of my tires?