Maybe time for a new dump truck

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
So I have a 09 F350 4x4 V10 dump with 25k miles. It has been reliable since new and has done everything I have asked it to. Mostly plowing and light landscaping duties. Problem is that I can no longer depreciate it from a tax standpoint. I looked at a new ford 350 and found a leftover 12 with the diesel, for what seems like a good price. Also....can't believe I'm saying this...looked at a 13 Dodge 3500.. And liked it. The ram has the gas Hemi engine. At most I will be pulling 12K and the V10 I have does it at idle. Anyone have experience with the Dodge gasser pulling... And not that it is a real issue, but gas mileage as well.

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck #2  
So I have a 09 F350 4x4 V10 dump with 25k miles. It has been reliable since new and has done everything I have asked it to. Mostly plowing and light landscaping duties. Problem is that I can no longer depreciate it from a tax standpoint. I looked at a new ford 350 and found a leftover 12 with the diesel, for what seems like a good price. Also....can't believe I'm saying this...looked at a 13 Dodge 3500.. And liked it. The ram has the gas Hemi engine. At most I will be pulling 12K and the V10 I have does it at idle. Anyone have experience with the Dodge gasser pulling... And not that it is a real issue, but gas mileage as well.

Hmnn-perhaps you should get another accountant's opion before you get rid of a truck with 25,000 miles that you are satisfied with.

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck #3  
Delaying taxes can get expensive. Taxes due seldom equals 100 of net profit. If you can keep 70% of what you would pay to trade would it be good financial management? Paying taxes due is not a crime. :)

Last edited:
   / Maybe time for a new dump truck #4  
Maybe I am just dumb, but why would anyone spend $1 so that they could save $.30 in taxes?

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck #5  
Don't let the taxman wag the dog. But I see your point as I live in Taxachusetts too. :D

Ken

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck #6  
We just replaced an F-550 with the V10 for a new one with the Powerstroke diesel....night and day difference. This is a work truck, so I don't know exact mileage differences yet, but my initial take is that it's quite a bit better. Unfortunately, it gets driven by 6 different people, so mileage it's as easy to track.

/ Maybe time for a new dump truck
Yep.. I took a accelerated depreciation a couple years back. The only thing that can be deducted now is related service.