Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Default Maybe time for a new dump truck

So I have a 09 F350 4x4 V10 dump with 25k miles. It has been reliable since new and has done everything I have asked it to. Mostly plowing and light landscaping duties. Problem is that I can no longer depreciate it from a tax standpoint. I looked at a new ford 350 and found a leftover 12 with the diesel, for what seems like a good price. Also....can't believe I'm saying this...looked at a 13 Dodge 3500.. And liked it. The ram has the gas Hemi engine. At most I will be pulling 12K and the V10 I have does it at idle. Anyone have experience with the Dodge gasser pulling... And not that it is a real issue, but gas mileage as well.

Tractor
    Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X

Default Re: Maybe time for a new dump truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtint View Post
    So I have a 09 F350 4x4 V10 dump with 25k miles. It has been reliable since new and has done everything I have asked it to. Mostly plowing and light landscaping duties. Problem is that I can no longer depreciate it from a tax standpoint. I looked at a new ford 350 and found a leftover 12 with the diesel, for what seems like a good price. Also....can't believe I'm saying this...looked at a 13 Dodge 3500.. And liked it. The ram has the gas Hemi engine. At most I will be pulling 12K and the V10 I have does it at idle. Anyone have experience with the Dodge gasser pulling... And not that it is a real issue, but gas mileage as well.
    Hmnn-perhaps you should get another accountant's opion before you get rid of a truck with 25,000 miles that you are satisfied with.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Delaying taxes can get expensive. Taxes due seldom equals 100 of net profit. If you can keep 70% of what you would pay to trade would it be good financial management? Paying taxes due is not a crime.
    Last edited by Gale Hawkins; 06-24-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: not removed

Maybe I am just dumb, but why would anyone spend $1 so that they could save $.30 in taxes?

Tractor
    JD 2210 JD318 JD332

Don't let the taxman wag the dog. But I see your point as I live in Taxachusetts too.

Ken
    "Wake up, if you want your dreams to come true."

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

We just replaced an F-550 with the V10 for a new one with the Powerstroke diesel....night and day difference. This is a work truck, so I don't know exact mileage differences yet, but my initial take is that it's quite a bit better. Unfortunately, it gets driven by 6 different people, so mileage it's as easy to track.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Yep.. I took a accelerated depreciation a couple years back. The only thing that can be deducted now is related service.