5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #1  

Ender

So ok I am another new guy who has never owned a tractor before, and now am faced with 5 acres of central Oregon high desert.

I am building a place out in Crooked River Ranch. Nice ground, lots of trees, and lots of rocks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. So far we have a foundation and a driveway and a bunch of trees to cut up and haul off. And rocks...did I mention rocks?

So I need a tractor, something basic to help with the work. I do not plan on farming, or raising horses. Just putting down some grass, and keeping a fire break around the house. That means clearing sage brush and rocks...lots of rocks.

I have been looking at the Jinma 284. Looks like enough horse power to do the job at half the cost of a Kobota or JD. But what about the Jinma loaders? How do they compair with a Koyker or something similar? And will the Jinma have the power to do the job?
Ender

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #2  
Ahh yes, those rocks in Easterm Oregon. Mike, did you try the Century and Branson as well. I'm not familiar with Jinma at all other then pictures I've seen. A good loader is a must for poping rocks out of the ground, it's easy to twist the loader. I typically put the cutting edge just into the stubborn ones and with the bucket on the ground, curl or rollback the bucket while putting slight forward pressure with the HST pedal. I now have a Century and Branson dealer near me selling both of what I understand to be the same company? According to the folks here, they are quite a bit less expensive then the JD, Kubota and NH makes. The loaders on them appear to be well made, but thats just from driving by at 45 MPH. Rat...

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #3  
The Jinma looks like it is heavy duty, and the men who have them say they are. They say they have very good power, more than what they are rated at. I looked at a FarmPro at Homiers, which is a model of Jinma, looked pretty good. But the loader looked kind of flimsy, I think if I were buying Jinma, I would have to go with the Koyker, it has been proven to be a good one. If you can get under the edge of the rocks they come up pretty easy.

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #4  
I've got a jm284; with the JM loader:

it works like a champ, though prying at large rocks is hard on anytractor, one with a clutch is worse as you are slipping the clutch or the tires while doing it... I use LL1 or LL2 when prying rocks up, and some big ones too. this past week I pulled up and out probably 15 rocks, that were from a beach ball size to the size of a garden tractor, most all of them were below grade by 3/4 of their size if not more. I tweeked my box blade some pushing one that was/is the size of a lawn tractor around trying to get it out of the creek bank size, wasn't sure how big it was but kept working till I got it. one thing get help getting on & off the tractor 100 times is a pain in the legs! hahahah. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I got some photos of the new rock pile, though they are still in the camera in the truck at the farm.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #5  
Ender,

Howdy neighbor I'm just up north of you.

Good luck with the rocks with whatever tractor you purchase. My entire 5 acres is covered with them (glacial till). My neighbor sells tractors and he has both Jinma and Century tractors on his lot. I have driven and checked out his new tractors pretty seriously and I've got to say I'm VERY impressed with those Century's. The fit and finish is really nice much more so than the Jinma. The ONLY thing they don't have that I'd want is a hydro drive unit. If I didn't already have a tractor I'd buy one in a minute. The Century will cost more than the Jinma but I'd personally choose the Korean made ones over the Chinese any day. Nothing against the Chinese or Jinma tractor owners but the Century (Branson) is a far better made unit. Best of luck

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #6  
You din't mention to him they are also a lot more money than the Jinma.

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #7  
Yeah, he did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The Century will cost more than the Jinma... )</font>

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #8  
Thanks Garry,

How's the golf game? Yes, I'll say it again the Century WILL cost more (I'm not sure how much) but it isn't always about money. The Century is still quite a bit less than the big 3 and in my very humble opinion it's worth it. My neighbor has Greys as well and I'd also purchase a Yanmar in a second. I've just heard alot more negative things about Chinese tractors than positive.

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #9  
Well, my understanding is the Century cost about 2 times as much as the Jinma. And at least one of the Yanmar dealer, seems to think the Jinma is as good or better than the Yanmar. I have a Yanmar, so I'm not against them, just telling you what I read on here.

/ 5 acres of rocks, a tractor-loader question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How's the golf game? )</font>

Hi TD! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, the league is already over for the season. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Our team won first place for the second half of the season, so we played the team that won the first half for the league championship. Unfortunately, we lost, so we came in second place. The only good thing I can say about that is that I did win my individual match, but my other 3 teammates lost theirs.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have driven and checked out his new tractors pretty seriously and I've got to say I'm VERY impressed with those Century's. )</font>

I have to agree with you about the Century's. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've not driven one yet, but I've had a close look at them and I'm very impressed with them also. I did locate a dealer within a reasonable distance, so I just need to get down there when he's open so I can test one out. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif