what to buy?

/ what to buy? #1  

chirojoe

Tractor
toro 416h
I am new to this site but felt this would be a good place to start. For the past X amount of time I have been looking to update my toro416-H. The machine works great although the deck is slowly disintegrating every year. Lately I have been eyeing the Husky 52Ls, Simplicity and oddly enough a Snapper my dealer had that was made for Sears but they(sears) didnt like the retail price point so this dealer bought up a few instead. This is a black mower, looks heavy duty and did catch my eye. My question is which way to go. I want to spend around 3 grand, my property is in rural Pa and is rocky, tree root filled and some slight hilly lawn. I have been obsessing on the Husky ls but not sure about a 48 versus 52 inch deck. Any good advice on the matter or what machine to look at?

/ what to buy? #2  
I don't have any advice for you other than to be VERY careful about buying that Snapper since it sounds like it could be an orphan that might be impossible to get parts for down the road.

/ what to buy?
Thanks pappy, my thoughts exactly. I am kinda focusing on the Husky. Now thinking either 48 in or 52 deck.

/ what to buy? #4  
chirojoe,

Why not just replace the mower deck on your current Toro/Wheel horse? It should be about $1000 for a new complete deck. You will have to go far to find a more reliable garden tractor and all parts are still available. I finally replaced the main drive belt on my 414-8 after 20 years and am pulling wheelies if not gentle on the clutch.

Spray some new paint on and replace the seat and you have a "brand" new tractor. You will be disappointed with anything less than a Wheel Horse.

/ what to buy?
Great point Wolftree. I agree and have thought about it but didnt have any luck finding a manufacturer. Do you know of any? Also I am not crazy about the hand control that moves the machine forward and back. I know its suppose to stay in place but I usually have to keep my hand on it pushing forward to get max speed. Maybe I am just in the "bigger/better" syndrome. lol

/ what to buy? #6  
chirojoe,

Your Wheel Horse/Toro dealer will have or be able to get you a new deck of most any size(38"-60"). That is the good part about Wheel horse. They did not redesign a new deck every few years. The same deck that fits a 1972 model fits yours and is still being made by Toro/ Wheel Horse today. This holds true for all Wheel Horse mounted implements made since 1972.

Talk with your Toro/ Wheel Horse dealer about the hand control. It may just be a simple adjustment. Mine is gear.

I have a full compliment of implements for my Wheel Horse, mower deck, snow plow, rear blade, box blade, disk, moldboard plow, cultivators and trailer. I added 50# each side iron rear wheel weights and tire chains and can go many places most garden tractors don't even try.

/ what to buy? #7  
There is a almost a cult following of Wheel Horse Garden Tractors and on-line forums. Check them out.

/ what to buy?
I took your advice and I am having the deck rebuilt. A local, very talented, welder just quoted me around $300 to rebuild the deck. I am fine with that. Maybe some new rear tires (loaded) and a bit of wax will bring me some joy. One of the reasons why I am keeping this machine is because after talking to a friend about his newer mower (very well rated) and hearing how his mower couldnt hold on a hill I thought if I end up dropping $3 g's or more and the new mower cant hold back on a hill, well why take that chance. I will be happy with this one for now, unless of course I go walking thru a dealership again and see all the nice shiny new.....well you know.

/ what to buy? #9  
Wise choice. Treat yourself to a new seat as well if you need one. Get the Wheel Horse/ Toro seat, there is a big difference in quality.