tractor shopping

/ tractor shopping #1  

itainme

Tractor
TC 33D
I'm looking at either a Kubota L3430, or a NH TC35D or 40D. I'll want the FEL, and HST. I would like a MMM, since I collect the clippings (about 5 acres). I've heard of possible problem with the Kubota mmm while loader is attached, and that the mmm is expensive. Any thoughts? I also am leaning to R-4 tires. Any problems with those and the MMM?

Finally, I'm wondering about adding other attachments like a tiller, post hole digger and snowblower. Are these brand specific, or can I put any brand of these on either unit? Does either brand have a better selection or prices on attachments?

/ tractor shopping #2  
First , welcome to TBN.I currently own a Kubota and I
like those for the sub compacts, but when I was shopping for tractors I loved the New Holland stuff.I'd have bought NH had I settled for a larger machine,but I think you are on the right track either way.

/ tractor shopping #3  
First, you are looking at a big tractor for 5 acres. Or is it 5 acres that you mow and there is more property to maintain?

Regarding MMM, those are almost brand specific, meaning there are SOME aftermarket units, but they are typically hard to find. MMM are expensive, but are nice for mowing. You will find one long thread about a NH TC24D with a MMM (rear discharge version) that causes clumping of the grass when it is wet or long. Some people on that thread don't have a problem. Side discharge does not seem to pose any problem with clumping. I use a rear mounted 60" Befco rear discharge finish mower and see some clumping so I wonder if the rear discharge units are all similar with that problem???

Regarding R4 tires, those should not pose any problems for you with the mower deck on either tractor. R4s are nice, I have them on 2 of my tractors and they are reasonably good on the lawn unless the lawn is wet then you might see some tearing. But it is a good compramise tire that will give you reasonable traction when using the FEL and still not tear up the lawn when mowing.

Regarding your choice of tractor brands, I have a Kubota B2910 and a NH TC24D. Both have hydrostatic transmissions. I believe the NH is currently the better value offering a slightly better design and slightly better tractor for the money. But 2 years ago when I got the Kubota I would have said the same thing about that brand. I like both, you'd be happy with either, but I question your need for such a large unit for mowing 5 acers. I could not go back to mowing with the larger 30 hp Kubota after using the smaller 24hp NH. The slightly smaller NH units turns much tighter and is much easier to get up close to fences, trees, the house, etc. I still use (actually my wife does) a Cub Cadet garden tractor for getting up next to the house, porch, etc. But the large frame Kubota is like steering a school bus around the yard in comparision to the smaller New Holland.

As for the things like the tiller, phd and snowblower . . . all are available from many sources and all are interchangable as long as they are made for a standard 540 pto and a standard 3pt hitch. NH also has a front mount blower, but that is a NH specific piece, you don't find too many front mount blowers.

As for prices, I think right now NH offeres better prices on tractors. At least they do in my area. As for prices and selection on attachements you will find a WIDE varience in quality and prices on each you look at. Woods and Land Pride are typically on the upper end of the price spectrum and are very high quality. Midwest (available under their own name and one or two private lables such as Corriher) seems to be in the middle and from my personal experience seems to have very high quality. Howse, King Kutter and a few more are on the bottom end of the price ladder and are often lighter built, but still offer a lot for the money.

Consider how much you will use an implement before spending the money. A PHD might be used a lot for 1 summer and then very infrequently after that, you might want to pick a lower priced brand for something like that. A mower will probably be used weekly for many many years, so opt for a sturdy unit with good design. Tillers are mostly foreign made, some have 4 tines others 6, some have gear drive others chain, but how big of a garden do you want and what plans do you have may determine the features you want.

/ tractor shopping #4  
i belive a mm pto is optional on the l3430???i know my l3830 doesnt have as standard equipment.a l3430 is a huge tractor to use for mowing.you will need a 10k lb trailer to move it around [loader,fuel,mower,calcium,ect].i could have gotten away with a b7800 i think for my 6 acres but the big l3830 will be nice for the bradco 509 hoe i;m thinking of geting.anywho i would go smaller if i was you.jmho bws

/ tractor shopping #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would like a MMM, since I collect the clippings (about 5 acres) )</font>

What does this mean exactly? Do you plan on using a 3PH type material collection system or are you going to use a trailer type?

There are a few issues with the Grand L30 series and the MMM. First, there are problems raising the MMM to a locking position if you have a loader frame installed. Having both will require the dealer to possibly modify the loader frame so make sure you talk to them about this first. See if they have done others with this combination. Second, the MMM is not compatible with the R4 tires. The MMM is only compatible with the turf tires. I have also heard that the shields on the front axle need to be modified for turf tires, otherwise they rub against the shields during tight turns. Third, your only choice will be a 72" Side Discharge MMM. Fourth, the Kubota has a mid-PTO that is dependent upon the rear-PTO being engaged. It is not truly independent like the NH TC35D, which allows you to select the mid, rear or both. With the Kubota you are limited to rear or both. This is not a problem for most but it thoroughly annoys me.

Hoeman00, a fellow TBN user, has a NH TC35D with FEL, R4 tires and MMM. I have not heard of any compatibility issues between the R4 tires and the MMM. I have to believe there aren't any since Hoeman has this configuration and loves it. He did not mention any issues between the FEL frame and MMM. The TC35D has an awesome 84" Rear Discharge MMM. However, it has an awesome price tag of around $4000. You could get a very nice Land Pride FDR2584 84" Rear-Discharge RFM for around $2200 or a First Choice 84" for around $1500. You are also limited to rear discharge, which could be a problem if you plan to use a side discharge type material collection system.

The tiller and posthole digger are not tractor specific. They are guided by a Cat. 1 3PH spec. The same is true with a 3PH snowblower. However, a front mount snowblower is tractor specific and very expensive because of it. A rear-mount snowblower costs around $1500 whereas front-mount snowblower can cost as much as $3000-$5000.

You should not buy a tractor based on the 3PH implements available from the tractor supplier. These can be purchased from any tractor supplier or any 3rd party supplier. However, tractor specific front mount and mid-mount implements may be a valid factor in purchasing.

I have driven both tractors and they are both incredible. In my opinion, the NH TC35D/40D has the L3430 beat in all departments except for the engine and hydro, which are significant. The engine on the L3430 is smoother/quieter and the same is true for the hydro. The difference is not huge but it is noticeable. This is not to say the engine/hydro are bad on the NH, I'm just saying it is not quite as refined. I'm still thoroughly torn between the two, among a few others.

You may also want to look into the JD 4410, which has a 72" side discharge MMM that is compatible with R4 tires. It also has a third SCV to control mower height, which frees up your 3PH control.

/ tractor shopping
Thanks for the good advice. I use a tractor for lots more than mowing, which is why I'm looking at such a large tractor. I'm trying to find something small enough for mowing, but large enough for the loader work. The L3430 looks like a good compromise, but I'm still open to suggestions.

/ tractor shopping
<font color="blue"> Type of collection system </font> I'm not sure about that yet. Any suggestions? I suppose it will depend on the price /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and what's compatible with the tractor I choose.

/ tractor shopping #8  
I'd sure have a chat with BWS... If you are after that manicured look that you want to pick up clippings, I wonder if you're ready for the marks that Kubota GrandL is gonna leave.

/ tractor shopping #9  
I have a L3430 with la723 and 72" MMM nice machine real smooth to operate, there are issues with r4 tires but my dealer said he has sold alot with r4's and MMM. There is not much height under mower when in the up postion , guess you can't expect to have a flat operator platform and 15 " of clearance underneath.The r1 tires are also compatible with the MMM. I did remove my deck today took about 3 minutes but I used the loader to lift the tractor up and just pulled the mower out, no problem at all.I did drive a NH, the thing that I didn't care for was the speed or lack of when in reverse seemed so slow compared to the forward speed in the gear ranges. Good luck in pinning down which color you look good in .

/ tractor shopping #10  
I didn't know about the issue of the R4 tires on the larger Kubotas causing problems with the MMM. Never heard that issues for my Kubota, but then mine is a different model than you are looking at. Take a serious look at the NH TC 35 and give the SuperSteer option a lot of thought. It is about $1000 but will give you the ability to get into lots more places when you are mowing. It might be the compramise you are looking for between the large loader tractor and the smaller mowing machine. You get the large size but the tight turning radius.