Buying Advice Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #1  

jkempcai

Tractor
Not sure yet
I originally convinced myself that I needed a larger tractor (3616/L3800) but now, after reading so many threads and speaking to so many people I think otherwise now. Also cost was a huge factor too. My usage mainly will consist of road work, ie disking fire lines and cleaning up edges and brush along roads on property. The property is 200 acres but it only has trees. The fields have been filled with trees so really its all road/brush maintenance. Maybe a little gardening at moms now and then. But the real other kicker is storage. I do not live on my property so I must be able to store it at home aka in garage. I do have a 9ft door but storage at my house is prime. My search has brought me to consider the Mahindra 3016 or the Kubota 3200. Maybe even a Mahindra max28? I really don't want to end up with an undersized tractor but cost and space is huge in making a decision. This is my first tractor(obviously) and I wouldn't be comfortable buying used given my novice state. Any "non partizan" advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #2  
Watch the ground clearance on the tractor you buy. You will need higher clearance for the work you are planning.

You want to go with a good dealer, so check them out well.

Used tractors you find, that are less than 15 years old will cost you just a few thousand less than a new one, and have no warranty.

Sit on the tractors you are interested in, and use them if you can to make sure the controls feel good to you. There is nothing worse than spending 6 to 8 hours on an uncomfortable machine.

You have the choice of Mahindra, John Deere, Kioti, LS, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland so don't limit yourself to just one or two brands to chose from. And in your situation.........A skidsteer just might be the ticket, so don't rule them out either.

Good luck in your search.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #3  
I can well remember when I was just starting out. Glad you mention it; it won't hurt anyone's feelings if you ask for explanations.

The first question is often about size, followed by "new vs used", and then "Wow! Good tractors are expensive!"
Taking those questions in order, frankly I'd say that with the one's you've already mentioned that you are looking at tractors a bit small for roadway and brushwork for working on 20 acres....much less for 200.
As for new vs used, that's personal preference and mechanical knowledge. The latter is obtainable - but is always outgunned by the former.
Expense is relative - but considering the tractors you are looking at new, you are already in a realm where there is a lot of machinery available to you. If you include slightly used - and why not? - there are a huge number of options.

I confess to having a fondness for rather small 4 wheel drive tractors with loaders myself. But having had both large and small ones, I have to say that for the road and brush maintenance you are considering then you will be far better served if you start right now looking at larger machinery.

It helps to think of a tractor as a motorized platform for pulling an implement - the implement is what actually does the work. Tractors connect to implements via the rear 3 point hitch. So look at some implements while you are looking at tractors. Decide what you want it to do. Implements for tractors are standardized and come in two hitch/size ranges which are differentiated by the size of the hitch on the tractor. The sizes are Category I and Category II.
Cat II is the larger size, is found on all medium to larger and heavier tractors, and that size will also handle smaller Cat I implements.
But a Cat I tractor won't be large enough able to handle Cat II implements.

Tractors last for decades and implements even longer. You can expect to find good used implements almost anywhere at reasonable prices or minimal rent or even just for loaners.

For roads and brush on that 200 acres (that's huge!) I would lean heavily toward a tractor with a category II hitch. It needn't be a huge tractor - our John Deere is a category II tractor with 35 hp and weighs about 4000 lbs.....That's what most would call medium sized. But it is an agricultural rather than a compact tractor and is from an earlier era with the larger wheelbase necessary to handle the larger implements. Although it is handy for roadwork and is a comfortable machine it would definitely be out of it's element in a backyard garden....not that it wouldn't do the work but it would tend to leave tire tracks in the lawn.

No, I wouldn't recommend an old John Deere or an old anything...I'm just using that as a size example. Old tractors are attractive to folks who like old machinery as much as they like tractors. If you are that sort of guy you already know it. But I would certainly recommend any of the the modern equivalents. There is a difference between being used and being old. Don't be afraid of used machines - particularly in medium sizes and up - good tractors tend to last nearly forever. If serviced regularly and stored under cover, there's simply no reason to pass on a tractor just because it has had some experience. You'll find that not much has changed in the tractor world for the last several decades.

The storage requirement is a biggie. Tractors are ungainly things to have hanging about the house. Are there any alternatives for storage?
luck, rScotty

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #4  
I'm in a similar situation, except we have 400 acres here. Mostly timber and logging roads, but we mow around 40 acres once or twice a year. We started with an old L245 in 1990 and 5" bush hog & box blade, it was too small, but it did the job. In 2000 we got a old used L3750DT with loader, great rig, nice size, but a little too larger for skidding logs out in tight places. Bought a L3800DT a while back and love it! I'm sold on Kubota! The L3200 and L3800 are the same size, but diff HP ratings.

Good luck.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #5  
I was in the same position a few weeks ago, I was looking for a similar sized tractor and the L3200 and the 3016 were at the top of my list. Money was a huge factor with me as well the $19,000 was really stretching my budget and could go no higher. After looking at a trying them both out My thoughts were. The 3016 is a nice tractor but it seemed as though everything I went to reach for was in the wrong spot, I didn't like the unfinished look of the castings and it was a pain in the rear to do simple pre-use checks such as checking the oil. I liked the warranty and the dealer was real nice and seemed to know his equipment as well as the competition. The L3200s that I tried out were laid out really well with everything right where I thought it should be, easy to maintain and a decent reputation good dealer network and dealers are slightly arrogant and all 3 lied to me about the competition. All 3 tractors that I drove all had a jerky 3ph and the all knowing dealers knew nothing of them and said that is just how they were. With the Kubota you got a stripped tractor and everything else was at an added cost.
I didn't get either one but I am sure that either one would do the job that the one I ended up with will. You just have to look around and see which ones fit you and which options or names are important to you. It took me a couple months to find out what I really wanted and where to buy it at. Do some research on here like you are and go read some of the brand threads, price and find a good dealer of the one you want. That was half the fun for me.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #6  
I think your first instinct on size of an L may prove correct in the long run. But, I would suggest considering a B3300 as it is basically the same as the B3200 without a mid pto and larger R4 tires (if you get R1 or turf tires they are the same as B3200). You did not describe any use requiring a mid pto and you will save up to 1k on price. The R4's on the B3300 are the same as what is on an L3200 if I remember correctly.

I would also get the rear tires filled no matter what tractor you end up purchasing for the work you outlined.

Maybe check out Kioti tractors and another brand before you move ahead and see what they offer.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #7  
jkempcai,

The Kubota L3200 with gear transmission does not have live PTO. You will want live PTO for any rotary cutter(Bush Hog) operation. For Kubota then, you either need to option the HST (Hydro) transmission on the L3200 or choose the L3800 that does have live pto with gear transmission.

The Mahindra 3016 gear drive does come with live PTO.

From reading your expected usage, I would not go any smaller than the Kubota L3200-L3800 or Mahindra 3016-3616. The two Kubotas are the same physical size as are the two the Mahindras. Whether your useage demands even bigger, only you know at this point.

If you can afford it, I cannot recommend a front loader highly enough. You will be amazed at how usefull it will be and how often you will use it. I would buy an older tractor with a front loader if you cannot afford a new tractor with front loader.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016
wow!!! Lot's of great advice in no time. Thanks to everyone so far that has responded. Several things have been brought to my attention that never crossed my mind. I definitely want a loader, 5' brush cutter, and harrow disks. I kinda thought the shuttle trans of the Mahindra seemed like better bang for the buck as opposed to the hst. Learning the gear driven Kubota doesn't have live pto was great info. So many things to consider so I'll just ask this. If you had a tight budget, 200 acres (road and row maintenance, not planting fields) , storage issues and a choice between mahindra 3016, 3616, kubota 3200hst, 3800. What would you pick? or if you have another brand you feel is better or better value let me know because I am open. Thanks

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #9  
On any tractor regardless of make, I would suggest getting the highest HP in that size if it is not much more money. For example between a L3200 vs a L3800, go for the extra 5 HP.

/ Kubota 3200 vs Mahindra 3016 #10  
jkempcai,

I would drop the Kubota L3200hst from my list and go sit on and drive/operate the other three. You would be paying extra for the HST in order to get live PTO which is standard on the other three.

Be mindfull of your financing. Both Kubota and Mahindra are offering some inticing financing right now. But, there is magic in their numbers that can confuse you. Ask for cash price so you are getting the true cost, then decide on how you want to finance it. There are agressive pricing dealers for both Kubota and Mahindra, do not accept MSRP as being the sales price. Contact Barlows in Somerset, Ky for Kubota pricing. They will deliver to you at a very reasonable mileage rate.

I recently priced a Mahindra 3016 gear drive with front loader for $15600 and a Kubota L3800 gear drive with front loader for $17200. These are cash prices.