New Member-- Need Advice on buying

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #1  

jmcgill89

Tractor
1955 Ford 850
I have just purchased 33 acres, of which about 23 are completely cleared. I want to keep them cut down, to cut back on ticks, and other things that may make the high brush a home. I'm also going to want to finish mow about 4 of the acres.

I think I've decided that I'm going to need a tractor, but I don't have the $ to go buy a new one, so I'm looking used.

There is a very nice Kubota L1501 for sale around here that comes with a bush hog, and I'm going to go look at it. There are also tons of old Fords (8, 9, 2000's) that look like they're from the 1950's and newer that are in my under $5000 price range.

I'd like to go with a diesel, and don't particularly need 4wd.

My primary uses of it will be bush hogging, finish mowing, front end loading, and possibly some back hoe-ing.

I REALLY need some advice on what size I should go with, and what are some good brands. I'm not picky, and I don't necessarily want to rule out some of the older models. I just want to make as informed a decision as possible.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #2  
1. Yes you do need four-wheel drive on a tractor in Alabama; indubitably.

2. See if you can do without a backhoe when buying used. Taking them on/off is difficult and awkward. After a few cycles most owners either leave them on all the time, tying up the three-point hitch, or take them off and leave them in the garage. The three point hitch is what makes tractors so versatile. Consider a bucket toothbar or a bucket spade prior to a backhoe, especially a used backhoe. Too much potential for hydraulic problems.

3. I have a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader package, which has been good for me. However, had I 33 acres I would probably buy in the 32-45 horsepower and 3,000+ pound category WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.

4. The single most useful tractor option is a front end loader. (FEL)

5. Tractor brand should be secondary. In the used tractor marketplace tractor condition and LOCAL dealer support (parts and advice) are the priorities.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
   / New Member-- Need Advice on buying
The 4wd thing severely limits my options. I was thinking that due to the flatness of my land, it wouldn't be required. However, that's why I joined and asked!

I understand about the backhoe. That was a part of the wish list...not a requirement.

Sounds from the reply that the kubota l1501 isn't going to cut it in terms of size.

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #4  
Jeff nailed it. Have backhoe not used after the novelty wore off.

Spend lots of time reading current and older TBN posts. Many have faced your same. problem, many opinions. already given ...

welcome

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #5  
The 4wd thing severely limits my options. I was thinking that due to the flatness of my land, it wouldn't be required. However, that's why I joined and asked!

Sounds from the reply that the kubota l1501 isn't going to cut it in terms of size.

Kubota L1501 has 15-hp; a garden tractor. Not enough horsepower nor weight for the tasks you list. You do not want to spend most of a day just finish mowing four acres, I don't think. That gets old fast.

For 'hogging 23 cleared acres you need at least a 48" rotary cutter, a 32-45-hp, 3,000 pound tractor can pull an 84" 'hog.

Do not be in a rush to buy. Take you time. New stuff is available every week. Check Craig's List and eBay.

ON-LINE TRACTOR MARKETPLACE:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/drilldown/manufacturers.aspx?catid=1111

You can easily limit search to Alabama.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be looking at the older Ford 2000's and similar units as most of the newer tractors around here are out of my price range. I just want to keep the land clean but I just can't afford anything really nice.

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #7  
Here are some Ford 2000 threads on T-B-N, sorted by Google:

Google

Good luck in your tractor search.

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #8  
At 15 HP, the L1501 is going to be a real disappointment at keeping up with hogging 19 acres & finish mowing 4. My advice is to list all of the jobs you will need the tractor to do (you've got most of that done, I think). Then figure out what attachments of what size you will want to do these jobs. The attachment requirements will pretty much size the tractor for you. Off hand & for your budget, I'd be looking for a Perkins diesel MF135, if you can find one.

For example:

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/massey-ferguson-135-diesel#lo=4&docid=0004bkkjka1seo9e

4 wheel drive is really nice for loader work and for mud, so if you anticipate much of either, you may want to narrow your search to iron with that option. Just be aware that you will be entering a new price range for similar power & weight as the MF135.

I really don't have many options here.

At thing point, I'm either going to buy something too small/inadequate or have to pay someone to do the bush hogging for me, at least I that's what I'm reading.

I may be able to get by with an old Ford 2000 or something similar for hauling a 4' bush hog, at least I think....but apparently it won't do anything else like front end loading.

/ New Member-- Need Advice on buying #10