Buying Advice It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help!

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help!
I have asked for a serious quote. MX5100HST Quick connect FEL, 3rd Valve, Land Pride Box, Auger, Hitch,(all eligible for 0 fin) Forks - Armstrong 3k lbs. Rhino 160 mower. Weird that sales person seems a little put out. He told me he had another customer and he would get back to me. Although, he saw me a the fence on Sunday and opened the gate to show me around. He said he would fax a quote an hour ago and nothing. All bad signs. I thought a deal north of 30k would be more important than it might be.

What is a remote?

My kids are a priority and I must confess I quit doing the yard when Jr. came along. I have a big zero that makes a nice cut. Cut, edge and weed eat is a full day. I hardly see my twin girls and son now so its worth the money to let good folks who need it in Livingston (not many jobs) use my stuff to get the job done.

I like the idea of no load and a ballast. Wonder what that should add to the total?

I plan on buying grapple next year when I clear in winter. Easier when then.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #22  
I've known several people who needed heavy lifting (2000+) as the only need for a large tractor. They ended up buying used pneumatic-tire fork lifts and a medium tractor instead of a large tractor. Better lifting and better tractoring.

Bruce

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #23  
Dan,

You ask "what is a remote"? It's the hydraulic connection used for any implement that uses hydraulic cylinder/s ie; grapples have hydraulics. My 10' pull type mower has hydraulics to raise and lower the unit. I have always advised new buyers to have at least two remote sets as a minimum added to the tractor.

idaho2

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #24  
As has been stated by others choose based on tasks, not acreage; acreage is a consideration, but in my opinion not always paramount.

We have loaded tires on our primary tractors L5740HSTC and M8540HDC and still need ballast on the 3PH to get the maximum use from the FEL.

Rear remotes are used for hydraulic top/side links, cylinders on equipment etc., I had three put on our last tractor.

I don't know anything about grapples etc.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #25  
I like the idea of no load and a ballast. Wonder what that should add to the total?

Well, you'll save money not paying to load the tires, and a counterweight can be done pretty inexpensively. There aren't many ready-made counterweights as big as you'll need....800-1200lbs, so most folks make them. A 55gal drum full of concrete puts you in the right ballpark, or get someone local to weld one up from steel. My neighbor and I made mine....1300lbs, and all I paid for was the block of steel, a piece of 3/8" stock, and the drawbar to weld to it....about $400 (steel is expensive now).

null_zpsd62d0888.jpg

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help!
Thanks - That counter weight is very cool. Do you want to sell it? LOL. My feeling about the salesman was right. I told him the the tractor itself was 100 bux cheaper in Houston and if he matched that I would do the rest of the deal with him. He emailed me "just go to them, thanks" So this is what I did with yawls input. I called the local dealer in Livingston Texas back and he is selling me the MX5100HST with Quick Connect FEL. $26,550. Kubota 3rd Valve. $1,100 installed. Land Pride 72" box blade $1015, Armstrong Forks $750, PD15 9" auger $1,200. Rhino 172 brush hog $1900. Grand total out the door is about $34,500. Maybe I could do a bit better in Houston but you tend to get better service buying local. I will pick up a grapple this fall. I will have them fill the r4 tires. I don't like to finance anything but this was hard to pass. $1,000 discount for cash, which translates to one half of one percent per year over 5 yrs. on 34,500. Even my sorry broker beat that over the past few years. They will try to deliver Friday. Is there anything else I should get while I have rationalized this fun purchase? Thanks to all that have taken the time to answer my questions and add valuable comments. I know I will need more help and this has proven to be an excellent place to get it. Cheers, Dan

Last edited:
   / It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #27  
I would get something in writing that they will warranty the PD15 when,if it breaks. It is rated for 20-40hp at the PTO and your tractor has at a minimum of 42.5 PTO hp. Talk is cheap and you probably would never have a problem, but if you did, my money is that they would not cover it, or at least Land Pride wouldn't.

I would get some kind or reassurances if it were me, that or step up to a PD25, but that is more $$$$ I'm sure.

Enjoy your new rig. :thumbsup:

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #28  
Only suggestions I have are:

To have the rear tires set as wide as they will go.
Add bucket hooks; lots of threads on those.
Consider rear remotes and put them in with the build.
Minimum of a hydraulic top link, lots of people get them from MtnVewRanch.
Get as heavy a duty box scraper as you can afford.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #29  
Congratulations!!! VERY NICE setup. You will never regret getting the larger tractor. I second everything TripleR says above - especially the wider rear tires. I run with Rimguard and Land Pride RB3596 for ballast all the time. It allows me to reach near max lifting capacity on FEL. I dig out and move LARGE rocks. Anything else you need?? Yes, go to the grocery store, buy a lime and suck on it to try and get that silly a@s grin off your face. No, have fun and be safe with the new tractor.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #30  
Filling tires----we're in Texas....don't need anything more than water and if you want, put some windshield washer fluid in for the someday freeze protection. You can do it yourself and it's easy enough that you can load / unload the tires as you feel the need. Takes me about an hour. All you need is the water hose adapter.