Buying Advice It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help!

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help!
I backed out of the MX5100 because it was too big and the salesman was giving me that feeling without saying it. He has an L3200. He's got two months in sales.

I changed to the L4600 and read it was manufactured in Thailand and backed down from that one. If I wanted a China tractor, I could buy a cheaper tractor. I spoke to a Houston neighbor who has a place near me in Livingston. He has a L4740 and said it was enough for all he did but had run across some things that it would not do. Mostly regarding the lift capacity. He also said he uses grapple all the time.

I have read more, revisited another dealer in Houston and researched again and now looking to buy the L4760 because of its compact size and lift capacity or possibly L4060. It has a lot of nice feartures but is expensive. I do not like the hydro lines outside the lift arms for the FEL but everything else is sweet. The dealer has an L4060HST with the LA805 and its 5 grand cheaper than the L4760 with the LA1055 front end loader. They act like they have less haggling room on the L60's. Maybe an allocation thing. The MX5100 is 8 grand less than that and is a real value. It was my original choice. It's a big long term decsion for me and I want to get it right. I am going with a Grapple-probably a Long OBG 1 or possibly 2. I like the 3rd quick connect on the L60 for that. I am sticking with my attatchments: Land Pride- Hog RCR1872, Box BB1572, Auger PD-25 9" , Armstrong Pallet forks SBPF-48-Skid-D and an OTH Landscape Rake LR6-C2.

The dealer has been really patient and I'm sticking with them. I prefer to do business local if at all possible. I am waiting to see the availability of the L60's and the price. I am usually very decisive but am a fish out of water on this purchase. I feel like a flake. There is a lot to know and more to learn. My dealer did not know the L4600 was put together in Thailand. I learned that right here. I want to thank all for your input. This is a great community. I also want to note there are many great safety videos on Youtube for tractor operators.

Hopefully next post will be final on purchase!

I wonder if you can spread deer corn with a fertilizer srpeader? Just a thought since I will use this tractor to work up an hunting area.

I have a 16 foot 7,000 lbs capacity flatbed trailer. I need twenty for the implements but think I can transport the tractor on my current 16 with te BB, so may hold off on a new trailer.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #42  
Nobody has ever been upset that they owned a quality piece of equipment. Dan, just go buy a John Deere and be done with it.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #43  
No doubt John Deere is a quality piece of equipment, but so is Kubota. The L60 has a lot of nice features and if you ever use the HST+, you will really appreciate its versatility. They are new models and a little slow getting a full range to dealers, so prices may stay high for a while, L40's are getting scarce too.

Your equipment selection looks OK though I would go with a heavier box scraper, weight is your friend on these things. I use an HR3584 and an HR25 or even BB25.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #44  
Well, if you are insisting on Kubota, you are going to pay big bucks. That's all there is to it. With that said, you need to have your sales guy define "too big" because really, there is very little difference in size between the two tractors you are looking at....8 inches longer and 10 inches wider... In the great outdoors, this is nothing. They both have the same turning radius and nearly the same wheel base. The MX has a couple extra inches in ground clearance but really isn't any taller spec-wise. So to be honest, I have issues with your sales guy. He wants to up-sell you on a Grand L that is way nicer but not what I would consider all that much smaller for way more $$$$. Good luck!

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #45  
Dan62, I truly hope that your next post is not after you have made your purchase. :eek: You have admitted that you are new to this. I would think that you would have many many more questions to ask. Don't get in a hurry, do your research and ask lots of questions.

As a bit of advise, IF YOU CAN AFFORD to do so,(in other words, a few thousand $ one way or another "really" doesn't matter) forget about the cost and just find the tractor that fits your wants-needs the best. When you are out on a tractor all day, it really is nice to have the machine that you need-wanted vs one that just works for you.

Good luck and ASK SOME MORE QUESTIONS. ;)

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #46  
It isn't like a shop. I've NEVER heard anyone complain their shop was too big. I have heard people wish they had a smaller tractor for most of their work.

That's a good idea! You need two tractors!

Bruce

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #47  
It isn't like a shop. I've NEVER heard anyone complain their shop was too big. I have heard people wish they had a smaller tractor for most of their work.

That's a good idea! You need two tractors!

Bruce

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #48  
Dan62, it may help you in your thought process to go rent something for a weekend and use it on your property.

"Too big" or "too small" is often subjective.

/ It keeps getting bigger and more expensive...help! #50  
Get rid of most of the lawn.
If you can't mow it with a push mower in 2 hours or less, you have too much lawn.
NOTE: If you have your own private putting green, then that's just too evil!