Price Check Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying????

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #1  

aok

Tractor
Massey Ferguson
I found a Massey Ferguson backhoe for sale. Owner thought it is a 70's age unit. Don't have a model number. It runs good, has a standard shift transmission.
Tires are rough but hold air, the front end loader cross member support is cracked at the weld joint of the loader arm on one side. The loader arm is cracked also, both spots were previously welded but did not hold, the loader arm has since been supported with 1/2" angle iron. Owner states that almost all cylinders have leaks, so all will require repacking, all hydraulic hoses appear to need replacement also.
Owner states that the turret that turns the backhoe sticks/hesitates sometimes. That is my biggest concern.
He is asking $1,000 Is this a chance worth taking??????:confused2:

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #2  
How much of the work can you do yourself?

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #3  
Off hand, I'd saw pass on that one. A 40 year old machine in the condition you describe will be nothing but a money pit and you'll still have an old machine.
I'm sure by the time you include the cost of hoses, tires, and other replacement parts and putting a value on your time you could find a ready to run machine for about the same price. I've seen some incredible bargains sold at auction recently.
Good hunting grounds include state and municipal auctions and on line sites.

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #4  
How much do you plan on using it. No more than what I'd need a hoe for, I'd weld up those spots, and some fluid every now and then and keep trucking.

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #5  
anything that runs is worth $1000 :)

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #7  
You prolly can sell parts of it on ebay and make money!

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #8  
Sounds like it's on it's 9th life. Unless you enjoy or dont mind continually fixing problems with it, :wrench:I'd pass.
It'll only weigh you down.....:anchor:
:laughing:

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying???? #9  
How much is it worth for scrap? You can't loose but so much.

/ Is this Massey Ferguson backhoe worth buying????
I agree. I found an older Ford with a rebuilt engine and rebuilt injector pump. Strong hydraulics, top of loader bucket bent some but over all a nice unit for what I need without a big price tag,