Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #1  

camps23

Tractor
Lawnboy :)
Hi all,
New to the forum but have been reading for the last few weeks.
We just purchased a new to us house on 1.5acres. The closing date is the end of August and
I have been looking at getting a tractor. Almost all is grass besides house, pool and some trees on perimeter.
What size deck is good ? I really love zero turn but need something that can pull a utility trailer. I have a snow blower but was thinking of selling it and possibly going with a blower for the tractor as well. I just went and looked at a Kubota bx1500 the other day and really liked it. It had a 48" belly mower. I'm worried it will take forever to cut the grass. What sizes is everyone suggesting ? Any model ideas ?
Thanks in Advance !

/ First Tractor #2  
That is a hard question to give an answer to. 1 1/2 acres to mow I have to ask how much grass? Do you have trees, flower beds, driveway, outbuildings. All these are serious considerations to which is best to mow with. The Kubota BX tractors are great but they will take more time mowing than a z-turn mower. And of course cost a lot more. I have one acre and have a B2320 Kubota and a Timecutter SS 4235 Z-turn by Toro. I would not consider mowing with the Kubota as it won't turn quick enough and would take me hours to cut the grass. But if your mowing is going to be in large areas with no obstructions then the tractor could be what you need. But think about any additions you will make like sheds, barns, before you spend the money.

/ First Tractor #3  
...........................I just went and looked at a Kubota bx1500 the other day and really liked it. It had a 48" belly mower. I'm worried it will take forever to cut the grass. What sizes is everyone suggesting ? Any model ideas ?
Thanks in Advance !

WELCOME!

Although we bought an adjacent lot early this Spring, we still only have the original 2-1/4 acres "developed". Grading and grass on that might get done this year.

On the 2-1/4 acres there's a 300' driveway, house 2 sheds creek and a bridge, so the actual grass area may be close to 2 acres. I've had three different 5' wide decks - one belly and two rear-mounted. With those decks I could get it mowed in 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Since getting a 6' deck, the time was reduced by 15 or 20 minutes.

With regard to size, I looked at a BX years ago and it felt cramped, so went with a B7500 at that time.

/ First Tractor #4  
You need to list the things you want to do and then visit every dealer within say 50 miles from you then decide.

/ First Tractor #5  
You need to list the things you want to do and then visit every dealer within say 50 miles from you then decide.

Great advice! My wife never tires of shopping and she thought it took me almost a little long to pick the last two tractors. I looked at 4 different brands last year even though I was parting with a Kubota that gave me 10 really great years of service. I ruled out the Mahindra early on so it was down to Kubota, Kioti and (prior to getting out of the tractor business) Bobcat. At that point each dealer gave me his best shot and the Kubota won.

/ First Tractor
Hey all...thanks for the responses so far......
So the lot is around 150x450. There is a 1900sq ft ranch, large 2 car garage/shop, large stamped concrete pad with pool and large deck. Trees are just around perimeter and one treeline around the house.
I would estimate an acre of grass to cut. All landscape is already done so I dont know if I will ever need a loader option in the future. Basic needs will be primarily cutting grass, and pulling a small utility trailer to the back of the property to collect wood. I have a walk behind snow blower but if I did get a compact tractor I would look into a snow blower attachment. I went to kubota dealer today and got some info. I have two used models available to me a great prices if interested.
The used models are BX1500 2005 550hrs with 48" belly deck and 50" pull behind snow blower or a ZG1272-54 2013 with only 25hrs. I can get both for the same price. Open to other suggestions.
One thing to note is I have young kids that take alot of my time....will z-turn mowers safe a considerate amount of time ?

/ First Tractor #7  
I find the zero turn a huge time savings and the way to cut grass. I also pull a CycloneRake in the fall for leaves. A zero turn mower can pull a trailer you just have to be extra careful about turns and jackknifing. For your use you may also want to look at some of the larger lawn tractors instead of an SCUT or ZTR. The best advice given was determine your uses and then sit down and figure out what type of machine will get 90% of them done, then visit all your local dealers and see what fits.

For us this was a ZTR mower to cut the 3+ acres of grass and we are working on a CUT to maintain and upgrade the other 7 acres, but our situation and uses are very different. Keep learning here and asking questions, lots of knowledgeable folks.

/ First Tractor #8  
With a scut and a loader...........who needs a cart? Ya'all ready gots a motorized wheelbarrow that will fit almost anywhere:thumbsup:

Without actually seeing your property, I would guesstimate at 1.5 hours or less to mow with the scut.

/ First Tractor #9  
camps23,

I am leaning towards saying, keep the Lawnboy and the walk behind snowblower for now and go with a zero turn. Have the dealer install some kind of hitch for pulling a lawn trailer. You will use the trailer much more than you think. Then in a few years, re-evaluate your needs.

/ First Tractor #10  
A zero turn is by far the best and fastest mower.