Comparison Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #1  

SingerToo

Tractor
Case, John Deere
Hi All,

First, special thanks to all of you for hundreds of postings who helped me with my decision, which has taken months. Sure, some are so brand loyal as to be blind, and some are making mountains out of molehills or being trollish, but all in all the help here is really fantastic. Thank you all for going to the trouble of helping us newbies. I've a hunch there are more of us lurking in the shadows than you may know.

Second, it seems every brand has its strong and weak points. But over and over "the dealer" was mentioned by the most experienced posters. Thank you for this constant reminder. The closest Deere dealer was ten minutes, closest Kubota, Mahindra, LS, New Holland, forty-five. I didn't consider Deere as I'd heard they cost a lot more initially and for parts.

While a really good deal on any of the above named brands could have swayed me, there were things about each one (other than the 'bota) that I didn't like, either a weak dealer and parts network, or a lack of ease or cost on implements.

We've got three acres of land with an acre of fairly park-like lawn, not very smooth. Most of what we need to do is mow in summer, push snow in winter. But we've got drainage issues, so a small backhoe and bucket loader was in order as well. And lots of rocks, not real big but too big to pick up and muscle into the wheelbarrow.

We went to Union Farm Equipment, loved the BX 25D. The sales manager, Craig D. was very helpful both over the phone and in person. We recommend them highly. Our other "local" dealer, is Dorr's Equipment in Bangor, and they have a very good reputation as well. That Kubota was like a Cadillac compared to the garden tractors in our past: Economy Power King (with FEL and 60" deck), Gravely 840?, MTD, and current 1969 Case 444. Wow!

Our neighbor might even have green blood. At first sight of his house down his private lane, one sees to the left a little John Deere windmill. If John Deere sells it, he owns it. He told us to talk to Tyler (the owner) of Greenway, here in Ellsworth, the local Deere dealer. Frankly, I knew it would be a lot more than the 'bota, apples to apples, so I wasn't even going to go look. And so I suppose that is the first piece of advice I would like to pass along--watch out for those assumptions.

Being sold on the BX 25D, Tyler had his work cut out for him. "I'm here because my neighbor told me I should at least stop in and consider a John Deere. I told him I had been looking at "orange" and didn't think I was rich enough to own a Deere. (A nice way of saying they were over-priced.) I voiced a number of concerns I had read, but knew they didn't apply to this dealer as Greenway has a sterling reputation locally.

Imagine my shock when the 1023 came out within a few hundred dollars of the 'bota, similarly equipped. However, it is without the backhoe thumb--that is the only item different, and I can add one later if needed. (What I really want to get are those grapple forks for the loader.)

The things that sold me on the Deere were: (1) the reputation and location of the dealer. He is the only SCUT, CUT, etc., dealer in town, and has a good reputation. He has owned the business since 1994. (2) The very comfortable and convenient pedals and controls. The concern is for my wife who tends to be a bit klutzy. In my opinion, they are going to be easier for her. (3) The drive-on deck with auto-connect. As we don't have a concrete or paved driveway, not having to roll the deck out sideways to remove it is huge. Again, easier on my back and much easier for my wife and daughter. (I read on one of the postings that the early models had some bugs, but these are worked out.)

By the way, both Greenway and Union Farm Equipment were total class acts, not dissing the competition one bit. They pointed out their best features, but both exemplified the best in sales ethics. At least one of the other brands lost my respect when they bashed the competition.

Thanks again to all for the help.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #2  
Welcome to TBN.

I'm glad the posts on here were able to help with your purchase.

But I would like to add............don't blame a 'brand', if a 'dealer' was bashing the competition.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #3  
By the way, congrats on the new toy..............er tractor.

But if you've been lurking, you already know..............without pics, it didn't happen:)

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #4  
Yep, must have pics of the first born.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #5  
First off, congratulations on the new tractor! It's always exciting to buy something like this! I'm sure you'll love it no matter what color it is! I'm surprised you thought the Deere would be a lot more than Kubota? Typically they are neck and neck when it comes to price and the tractors are spec'd out the same.

. But over and over "the dealer" was mentioned by the most experienced posters. Thank you for this constant reminder. The closest Deere dealer was ten minutes, closest Kubota, Mahindra, LS, New Holland, forty-five. I didn't consider Deere as I'd heard they cost a lot more initially and for parts.

Your correct in saying that the "dealer" is (generally regarded) as the most important thing when it comes to buying a tractor. However, the dealer importance is highly over rated here on TBN. Once you buy the tractor, you very rarely need to visit the dealer again. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part the dealer really isn't as important as so many lead you to believe. I don't know why so many people stress dealer importance so much.
Just something for the new guys to keep in mind :)

Congrats again on the tractor, my friend has a 1023 and absolutely loves it.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #6  
People go on and on about the dealer. I supposed it might be true but my tractor has been back to the dealer once to get the loader installed. The loader was on slow ship and I wanted to mow. But I don't use the tractor much. Less than 600 hours in 16 years. I have blown out hoses, had the clutch stick, some loose or lost nuts or bolts. I just fix them and move on. My fertilizer spreader has a broken part. Ordered the part and hopefully I will have it back together before the rains stop.

Oops, I just noticed Piston had the same thought as me about dealers. My car has seen the dealer for stupid warranty work when it was new but 365,000 mile on it now and it has only been in a foreign garage for new tires and an alignment. I guess if you cannot do your own minor repairs or you trade in equipment every 5 years then a dealer relationship might be important. That said I see a name I recognize at the dealer I bought my tractor from. I had ordered a few parts I broke driving the tractor through brush and moving a drag harrow with the loader. Guy still there even though the dealership has been sold once or maybe twice.

By the way I do like my 16 year old JD tractor.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #7  
First off, congratulations on the new tractor! It's always exciting to buy something like this! I'm sure you'll love it no matter what color it is! I'm surprised you thought the Deere would be a lot more than Kubota? Typically they are neck and neck when it comes to price and the tractors are spec'd out the same.

Your correct in saying that the "dealer" is (generally regarded) as the most important thing when it comes to buying a tractor. However, the dealer importance is highly over rated here on TBN. Once you buy the tractor, you very rarely need to visit the dealer again. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part the dealer really isn't as important as so many lead you to believe. I don't know why so many people stress dealer importance so much.
Just something for the new guys to keep in mind :)

Congrats again on the tractor, my friend has a 1023 and absolutely loves it.

My tractor has not been at the dealers place since I bought it. I agree Dealer network is over rated.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #8  
The dealer importance has just about everything to do with the tractor owner and his-her situation and circumstances. I use to think that only a person that made their living with their tractor needed a good dealer. But as we get older, or simply that everyone does not, even cannot service their own equipment, the dealer becomes more and more important. For these people the dealer importance IS A BIG DEAL.

Just my :2cents:

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #9  
I'm with MVR on this one. The after-sale Dealer support is very important to those of us new to the tractor game. In my case and for all tractor owners in the area, ALL of the colours dealers are 2.5 hours away. Service/parts support is a dig deal and the various Dealers are primarily known by this reputation.

I have never, personally, serviced my vehicles; I always took them in for their annual servicing and, truth be told, if my Ute doesn't 'go' in the morning = it's pretty much broken. :laughing: I'm looking forward (with a wee bit of trepidation) to performing the routine maintenance on my rigs (I've bought all of the tools to do this) but it's good to know that my JD Service Deptartment will send out a service-vehicle if I need it.

Touch wood (or my head... same difference) I won't be seeing them until my 200hr. service, which was included in my purchase deal, but they're there 'for me' if I need them.

/ Finally decided on a brand and the reasons for the choice. #10  
Wagtail, you can do it, it is not really that hard. Just like anything, if you have never done it, then you are apprehensive about it. Once you have completed the service, you'll think "that wasn't that bad" :D :thumbsup:

My dealer is 650 miles away, the only time that I have gone there is to buy a new tractor. :cool: