Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor...

/ Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor... #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
So, I've decided that I really need to have one machine dedicated to mowing and brush chopping. I honestly have more money than time (not that I'm rich!), and when I need to mow, I don't need to be messing around changing implements, etc.

I run a ZT inside the fenced yard, and near the house, and then use a 90" finish mower for the rest of the yard and another 1-2 acres that are cleared. About once a month I'll run a 6' brush cutter around the rest of the property that's cleared (we have 15 acres, with maybe 5-7 cleared).

I need 30hp at the PTO to run the finish mower and brush cutter, so that's a given. I'm only considering diesel engines, the PTO has to be live or independent, and power steering is a major plus. Other than that, I'm pretty open to brands/models.

On the way home tonight, I ran by the used lot at the local Case Int'l/Kubota dealer, and spotted an extremely clean Massey Ferguson 231 that would fit the bill, from what I can tell. It has 259hrs showing on the tach, and it's not rusty, dented, etc....looks to be the original paint, and has one set of rear remotes. Any thoughts on that model, and or pricing?

Other brands/models I should keep my eye out for?

/ Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor...
Pics of the Massey:

null_zpsc5807d5f.jpg

null_zpsf7505822.jpg

Dealer says the Massey is a 1994 model, all original, always stored indoors, one-owner, and correct hours (call it 260), and they're asking $7,500. That seems a touch high, but I haven't been following the model long. Thoughts on the price?

I'm somewhat concerned when I see a 19yr old tractor with an average of less than 14hrs a year....it had to have sat a lot.

/ Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor... #4  
If you are attracted but uncertain have the engine and hydraulic oils analyzed.

Seems like a good deal to me at $7,500, better if you can get the priced reduced. Or possibly a major service @ no charge.

Can't help but think that with Tier 4 emissions compliant tractors mandated at much higher prices than Tier 3 tractors, used tractors are going to go up.

GO FOR IT GMAN.

Last edited:
   / Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor... #5  
I'd recommend a little searching to find out the location of the nearest dealer, the average price, the number made, and the reliability of the engine. I like the 4 cylinder Perkins in the 261 but, know nothing about the engine in the 231 except that I believe it's a 3 cylinder.

If you are attracted but uncertain have the engine and hydraulic oils analyzed.

Seems like a good deal to me at $7,500 better if you can get the priced reduced. Or possibly a major service @ no charge.

Can't help but think that with Tier 4 emissions compliant tractors mandated at much higher prices than Tier 3 tractors, used tractors are going to go up.

GO FOR IT GMAN.

Good ideas there. There is a nearly identical 231 listed on CL, with about 1,000 on it (one-owner, but he did have it reprinted, and freshened up) asking $7k as well, so I guess the number is reasonable given the low hours. I want to take a look at that one, and listen to how they both run, try all the controls, etc...I'm in no real rush.

/ Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor... #7  
Here's a link to the tractordata page for that model:
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 231 tractor information
The MF 231 is a solid, no-frills utility tractor. There's bunches of them around here. I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with them.
It has the Perkins 3 cylinder that will run forever.
About the only weak point that I'm aware of is the front end components are a little light for a loader, but that one doesn't have one, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't worry about the low hours. From your description, you may not use it much more than that yourself. ;)

I'd recommend a little searching to find out the location of the nearest dealer, the average price, the number made, and the reliability of the engine. I like the 4 cylinder Perkins in the 261 but, know nothing about the engine in the 231 except that I believe it's a 3 cylinder.

I thought of some of that....nearest dealer is 20mi away (max). Prices are hard to sort out as there aren't that many listed, and most are either much rougher, or have a loader, etc. I have no worries about the engine; it's the same Perkins that they put in the 135, so they were selling them for 35+ years (135 came out in 1964 and the 231 stopped in 1999). They have a pretty solid reputation for longevity.

I didn't ask if they have any wiggle room on the price....I'd rather do that in person, likely with cash in hand.

Here's a link to the tractordata page for that model:
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 231 tractor information
The MF 231 is a solid, no-frills utility tractor. There's bunches of them around here. I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with them.
It has the Perkins 3 cylinder that will run forever.
About the only weak point that I'm aware of is the front end components are a little light for a loader, but that one doesn't have one, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't worry about the low hours. From your description, you may not use it much more than that yourself. ;)

Interesting about the front end...it does look a little light for a loader (not that it matters in this case).

I wish I would only use it that much...I'm mowing at least 4-5 hours a week!

/ Dedicated mowing/brush chopping tractor... #10  
Interesting about the front end...it does look a little light for a loader (not that it matters in this case).

I wish I would only use it that much...I'm mowing at least 4-5 hours a week!

Like I said, that tractor obviously doesn't have a loader and you're not going to mount one, so it's a moot point. The folks who did mount a loader on those tractors and really abused them would bread tie rod ends and sometimes spindles.

BTW, as with most of the economy utility tractors of that day, that is a non-synchronized transmission. You clutch and stop to change gears. But that may not be an issue for you either.