Tractor Sizing Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements

/ Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements #1  

gmikem206

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660
I hope to look at a JD 855 (4WD SVC) with 70A FEL, HD Blade, 60" MMM, 3 pth, with 1203 hours, turf tires(which they say 10% front 25% rear). %s mean remaining tread life, yes? Some concerns: How do you know the hydraulics are solid? Also are hr meter readings semi-reliable? Would a dealer know if hours are basically correct? At less than $10k from a dealer is this a reasonably good deal? Mowing 3+ acres, driveway is 600 feet. Need to move wood, rocks, dirt around yard. Is the JD 855 as equipped a good match for these jobs? As I'm in NJ not a lot of used equipment in area. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements
As I am new to TBN, and moving from a 'garden' tractor to a compact tractor I'd sure appreciate your help. Guess I am trying to find out what are the major concerns of buying older equipment, and get suggestions on tractors to consider. Can't really justify cost of new at this time. Most likely I will be looking at the two majors in this area JD and Kubota. Thanks for your input.

/ Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements #3  
The 855's are built like a tank. Traded mine off last year when I bought a new tractor. It had 1300 hours on it with the 60" deck. It was a 2wd minus the loader. I believe I got around $6000-$7000 for trade in out of it. I would say the hours should be right for the tractor. Mine was a '98, I got it in '00, the dealer actually was the previous owner and used it on his farm.

Thanks Roush, I looked at this 855, it had been used by a municipality, and the unit itself was a bit abused. Engine sounded fine. Lift and mower worked well. But I think I've decided that it may be more tractor than I need since I want to mow with it as well and have three smaller lawn sections (about 3 acres) and some obstructions. I think for an 855 enthusiast it might be a nice project. Dealer felt hrs of use made sense based on the small PA town that owned it. Thanks again. Good luck with the new tractor.

/ Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements #5  
I don't recommend buying abused equipment in most cases it is more trouble and costly to fix. I also would not confuse worn with abused either but still repairs can add up to the point that you could have upgraded instead.

About the size of the machine, I would suggest you at the subcompacts that are prevalent today as there are lots of offerings that are small enough to mow with but still have a little fel for moving small amounts of material on your property. I really think you will be better off and more satisfied to bite the bullet and get a new one equipped correctly for your needs.

Thanks Jenkins. I am looking for a late model subcompact with a small bucket now. I can't really justify the cost of new. I'll need to take the risk of no warranty though. But if the unit is pretty new with low hours, and the model has good owner reviews I think the cost reduction would be worth it, for me. Thanks for your input.

/ Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements #7  
Prices are regional, but you should be able to pick up a decent JD 790 (25hp, 4wd, loader, 8/2 trans, 700-1200 hours, no rear SCV) for around $8,500 to $9,500 from a dealer. It seems like it might fit the bill for you.

They were very solidly built little tractor and fairly easy to find since they were very popular, but you might have to look out of your are for a good price (I have little experience with east coast pricing). The only qualm I really have with them is that the clutch can be abnormally expensive for a small tractor.

Thanks Houston, I did inquire about a JD X7xx with a loader at a JD dealer. They no longer offer the loader with the X7xx series as it is deemed to be "unsafe" by Uncle Sam. And he did not have an older model. But, I think your idea is good. I will look into it further in the used equip market. Thanks again. Mike

Houston, doing my 'research' I find the JD 790 YOU were talking about. It may be a bit big for me (mowing) but will look further. Thanks Again. Mike

/ Advice on Buying JD 855 w/attachements #10  
Thanks Jenkins. I am looking for a late model subcompact with a small bucket now. I can't really justify the cost of new. I'll need to take the risk of no warranty though. But if the unit is pretty new with low hours, and the model has good owner reviews I think the cost reduction would be worth it, for me. Thanks for your input.

When I was looking I never found one that was a significant cost savings in slightly used equipment. For your uses I would recommend a hydrostatic transmission not a gear tractor. I use an x749 4x4ws for mowing and lawn implements with good success. You should look for a good used Kubota BX subcompact as these have been around for several years and might be available to fit your needs. There are other brands such as Massey Ferguson that have models that would work for you too so keep an open mind in your search because most of these are good models.

Alot depends on what you can find available used, after a year of looking I proceeded with new.