looking at ford 4400 industrial

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial
Finally got ahold of the owner. going to look at the tractor today. Seller is in the equipment business and took it in on trade. Has 3000 hours, he doesn't know if its been rebuilt, or really much history. He hasn't had a chance to start it in the cold since he has only had it since spring and only used it to condition the road at his place. It was used on cape cod on a cranberry bog mainly as road maintenance. I assume that harley rake has seen quite a bit of use.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #12  
Make sure the tach works. Cause if it dont, the hours dont count up and the 3000 will be a bogus number.

Kinda funny, dads 1966 4500 only shows 1005 hrs:laughing:

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #13  
The tach works on my 3000 & 4400 but the hrs don't, lol. If those numbers are real then there's still a lot of life in the old girl. As for that H rake, around here as long as everything works it would be snatched up for $2k all day everyday. I'd check the usual, clutch, pto clutch, 3ph, leaks anywhere, hyd. Lines, worn nubs on clutch/break pedals - at 3000 hrs they will be worn but all should still be there. You know it needs tires so there's another $500-$700 for decent used. I'm not afraid to insult someone with an offer, worst he can say is no or leave. If it all checked out I'd throw (45) $100 bills at him and see what he does.

well i went and looked at the tractor. Overall it is in better shape than I thought it would be. No coolant in oil, no oil in coolant, started cold (65F) instantly and ran very very well. No smoking whatsoever. Everything worked well, the H rake worked just like it should, loader was tight. It has been painted but the tins are very straight. Clutch pedal bushing is pretty worn and makes the clutch feel a bit wobbly, but it grabs just fine and I couldnt get it to slip.

Now for the issues that i could find
-A short hose on the H rake leaks, will need replacement.
-a bit of play on the ball joint on the end of the steering rod (that runs from pitman arm to knuckle)
-some issue with the power steering shuttle valve. Not entirely sure how that is supposed to work, but it steers just fine one way, but barely any assist the other way.
-slow fuel leak from the seal at the bottom of the injection pump
-slow weap at the rear end (all fluid levels were good)
-rear tires are about done

The best I could get him to come down to was 5800 including rake and a 40 mile delivery. Does this sound fair? I am thinking it is. Only thing that I will NEED to do is replace that hose and figure out the steering valve issue.

oh, and tach does not work so hours are a mystery. Seems to be in that range however given wear on pedals. I dont think it has 10k plus hours on it, but no way to know for sure now.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #16  
Personally, I would keep looking unless you are in immediate need of a tractor/loader.

There are better deals out there.

As to the steering, one way will always steer easier than the other, and neither way offers very much "assist" IMO once one has been spoiled with true power steering.

The other things you mentioned are minor but will cost money to fix.

All in all, I think you could fix all the minor issues and be at ~6000, but then the issues of the tires being bald, with a big loader, not much rear weight (no backhoe), and in the mountains......

Tires would set you more money, so you will be looking at closer to $7000 to get the machine usable in your terrain if you plan on using the loader much.

Again, IMP, keep looking. He's about $2k too high IMO

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #17  
Also, I think you will be fine with a smaller tractor. You mentioned having 15 acres, and mow a little pasture and some other general homeowner stuff.......given the mountains, I would be looking at used 4wd tractors with loaders.

The 4400 is pleanty big for the acreage you have. But who am I kidding, I have a 5500TLB and a kubota 3400 and only own 5 acres;)

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #18  
oh, and tach does not work so hours are a mystery. Seems to be in that range however given wear on pedals. I dont think it has 10k plus hours on it, but no way to know for sure now.

I couldn't tell from the picture- but would make sure it is equipped with a pto, don't think you made mention of it but if you want to till ,brush hog, snow blow, post hole drill- well you get the idea... OOps see it running the harley rake:eek:

As far as price look at the capabilities verses even an $8000 used cut or scut that - Fords loader will likley lift 2000lbs. to full height,and that type of loader is built strong, and I recently priced loaders although removable... they were all more than the purchase price of the complete tractor setup you are looking at... I just think that price seems pretty fair for what capabilities you get.. and a harley rake to boot...

Last edited:
thanks for the thoughts guys. I am going to mull it over tonight. Its not perfect, but it does seem like a lot of tractor for the money. There isnt anything around here in the same ball park for that price that I could find. Lots of kubotas for 15k plus, but I cant really spend more than 6k. I am leaning towards it since I do need something right off because my 1/4 driveway is getting in really bad shape and is almost unpassable at this point. The harley rake is what makes it seems like a deal to me. Without it I would not be willing to pay $5800. Also the loader and bucket appear to be in great shape. No welds or plating like a couple other similar fords that I have looked at.

and yes, it does have a pto.