looking at ford 4400 industrial

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #21  
Is the pto is independant or live? Looks like your getting a loader tractor for about $3800 -$4300. I know things are different in other states/areas but the only way you'll get a 60hp+ diesel loader tractor around me for that price is if it don't run or it needs everything.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial
It is a live PTO. I have a similar feeling about the price. The only big $ item I see it needing is the tires. I think i can get by with chains for now since I will rarely need to run on the road.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #23  
Well the price may be fair if YOU value the harley rake that high.

Personally, for just maintaining a driveway, I wouldnt spend $2k on a harley rake, which is essentially what you are doing. I would be just fine with $500-$800 or so worth of a used rear blade, landscape rake, or box blade.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #24  
It is a live PTO. I have a similar feeling about the price. The only big $ item I see it needing is the tires. I think i can get by with chains for now since I will rarely need to run on the road.

I see in the first post you included cleaning out the barn- My job today with the Ford 3000 a 4400s little non industrial brother barn run out cleaning-ford 3000 001.jpg tractors around here are as City farmers area... i paid 3850 for the 3000 in the picture and the loader and front axle had been broken and welded also it is a Selecto speed which don't have the resale a manual trans does...

Maybe Soundguy will weigh in on the price....

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #25  
beefy machine.. better front axle than my 4600 for loader work.. etc..

well for better or worse, i handed over $200 for a deposit today after sleeping on it. Should take delivery this weekend, and then I am sure to have some questions once I start trying to figure out what the power steering only goes one direction. Has lots of slop in the drag link, so maybe that has something to do with it. The shuttle valve seems to be on the left side of the tractor just in front of the pitman arm, so maybe servicing it will be easier than the ones that are under the radiator.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #27  
Pictures are in order for that power steering set-up. I need to know just how similar it is to the 4500. And if it is totally different, I may not be able to help much.

i will take some when I get it home. Probably start a new thread. The system looks simple enough, and I could see how worn joints might cause the valve to not operate correctly. Its like the steering ram and shuttle valve are part of the drag link. If that makes sense.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #29  
Hard to picture, but if you do start a new thread, post a link in this thread or PM me, cause I cannot keep up with all new theads. But since I am subscribed to this thread, all new activity I see...

As to the steering valve, if it is like the 4500, one of the pivots is supposed to have a little play. We made the mistake of tightening that pivot up and it didnt work at all. The "mechanical" part of the steering has to make that part move to actuate the valve, without the slop, the valve never moves, and you never get the power assist

I'll see if I can find the pictures.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #30  
Check this out and see if yours is similar
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/201260-power-steering-not-working.html

David Wayne is my father. That is the 4500 we were working on. In picture 2 you can see the bushing we made to take up the slop at that pivot.

That slop needed to be there to operate the valve. You can see in the last picture the bushing we left out to make it work.

Does the 4400 look anything like that??