Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse

Default Re: looking at ford 4400 industrial

from the little bit of time I spent looking at it, I think mine is quite different. Same idea, but components are all in different places. I will confirm this weekend and snap some pics.

On a a side note, where is a good place to shop for parts for these? It needs a couple gaskets on the fuel pump and not sure where to look for parts. I am not having a lot of luck finding little stuff online. No sure where the nearest New Holland dealer is.

Tractor
    Ford 3000-Rhino 554,Co-Op ,Honda ,Gilson riding mowers

Quote Originally Posted by VTPSD View Post
    from the little bit of time I spent looking at it, I think mine is quite different. Same idea, but components are all in different places. I will confirm this weekend and snap some pics.

On a a side note, where is a good place to shop for parts for these? It needs a couple gaskets on the fuel pump and not sure where to look for parts. I am not having a lot of luck finding little stuff online. No sure where the nearest New Holland dealer is.
    for my Ford Yesterdays Tractors has had a lot of what i have needed Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Parts and Online Community there may be others

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

messicks is another good source for parts and excellent diagrams
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3000 & 4400 Case 830 Case 350 dozer

@Vtpsd- I think I said this earlier in the thread but maybe it was missed. All the 4400 tractor parts are for a 4000 series tractor and only the steering/front axle components are different. Of course you have to get the year right. If you post the model and serial numbers when you get it home maybe that will help to figure out exactly what year you have? I have the complete OEM service manual for the 3000-5000 series tractors, 730 & 735 loaders & hyd. pump.
    Not sure if I'll be able to add much but I'll be following along, I have a complete steering rebuild on my 4400.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by City Farmer View Post
    @Vtpsd- I think I said this earlier in the thread but maybe it was missed. All the 4400 tractor parts are for a 4000 series tractor and only the steering/front axle components are different. Of course you have to get the year right. If you post the model and serial numbers when you get it home maybe that will help to figure out exactly what year you have? I have the complete OEM service manual for the 3000-5000 series tractors, 730 & 735 loaders & hyd. pump.
    Not sure if I'll be able to add much but I'll be following along, I have a complete steering rebuild on my 4400.
    I will post up pictures when I get it home and maybe you can help steer me in the right direction (no pun intended).
    I did find this forum post, my steering is similar to this setup. Only difference I can see is the drag link comes off the side of the cylinder, not bottom. The pin that connects the valve to the drag link moves around quite a bit. There is a nut on the end of it that might be able to be snugged up. I could also see that needing to be loose for the thing to work right though. Not sure where the valve adjustment would be on this setup?
    http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=156723

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Well I got it home on friday, finally had a chance to start playing with it today and find most of its issues. Here is what I have found.
    -Two bearings dead in harely rake
    -sliders cracked where ripper teeth mount (I took those off and beefed them up with some 3/8 plate)
    -Power steering weak (may just need fluid)
    -bad fuel leak (fixed, found someone had left out a crush washer on the bottom plate of the pump)
    -not charging at all
    -hour meter DOES work and so does tach, so hours seem to be accurate. The gasket has fallen down into the glass, and sometimes causes the tach to stick. This is why I thought it wasnt working when I initially looked at it.
    -tires are useless

All in all it runs great, very solid and powerful and that harley rake is going to come in really handy. I actually found a set of really nice skidder chains on local craigslist and picked those up today. They are the right width, but too long. I will cut them down and get them mounted. They are the woven style instead of latter chains and have studded cross chains. Very beefy. They must weight 200lbs each!

I will create a separate post about my steering issues. Looks like the valve moves fine but may have some seals blown out. Strangely the steering works decent once its started getting warmed up. Fluid will be my first check.

Here are a couple pictures.

-dscn0961_zps0138cad2-jpg

-dscn0962_zps9275ce8a-jpg

-dscn0963_zps30bbc20b-jpg

-dscn0964_zps8a84dd8e-jpg

Tractor
    Ford 3000-Rhino 554,Co-Op ,Honda ,Gilson riding mowers

Good looking machine - not familiar with the Harley Rake but looks like a neat attachment. The chains should help traction but if you are looking at attachments a Gannon box or other heavy 3 point weight will do more for traction than the chains IMO- when not using the Harley Rake.

Enjoy the new tractor

Tractor
    Ford 4400

I agree the Ford 4400 is a well built machine. I have a 1971 that works great for me. Was the steering thread started? I posted a question on accessing the power steering cylinder. I have a different front end loader that encloses the whole front end making it nearly impossible to get to. Sorry if this is a repeated message, I don't think I hit the right button.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234