looking at ford 4400 industrial

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #1  

VTPSD

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse
Hi All,
I have lurked here many times as I have been tractor shopping for a few years now. I am finally getting close enough that I have a specific tractor to ask about. There is a ford 4400 diesel for sale locally. I am hoping to go see it this week. Dont know much about it yet, it has recent paint, and comes with a harley power rake. it has a 3pt and pto.
I own 15 acres in the mountain of vermont. We do have some pasture to mow. I would mostly be using a tractor to keep my 1/4 mile steep dirt driveway in shape. I think the power rake might be very helpful for that. I would also be skidding out a few logs for my firewood, cleaning out the horse barn/paddock, and doing other general homeowner stuff. I could also see myself using a tractor for snow removal. I currently have a very rusted old chevy to plow with, but it may not be much longer for the world.
What is the general concensus on these tractors? I have used a 445 diesel before and I was impressed on how heavy duty it was for small machine. I am no stranger to machinery, and have my own shop/welder so I am not afraid of repair or maintenance work. The asking price is $5900.
Is there anything I should check carefully besides the normal things? Any common issues for these type of tractors? I am hoping it is the regular manual transmission, i think i would have to pass on a selectospeed.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully I can make a deal on this and start getting my washed out driveway back in shape!

The other tractors I have looked at so far were a deere 1020 diesel and an allis 185 with a loader. Both needed some work, but the deere seemed a bit to small and the allis a bit to big. I do really like those generation allis tractors. I ran a 185 in high school with a 3 bottom plow and loved every minute of it. I think that engine had a great sound, but really it is probably to much tractor for what I need.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial
01515_3NC2qHU2YyK_600x450.jpg
here is a picture. Notice the rear tires look quite worn.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #3  
View attachment 326465
here is a picture. Notice the rear tires look quite worn.

Is that the (actual) tractor If so having the loader is a huge plus as the price seemed a little high in your description above-Due to no loader.

If it is equipped with the loader 730-735?? and the tractor runs good it sounds like a fair deal, if it has the manual transmission (not the Selecto speed- they can be a great transmission) but some parts are getting next to impossible to get- let alone someone who has experience working on them...

The older Ford tractors and especially the industrials are well built tough machines my :2cents:

that is the actual tractor. I thought the price was decent, especially considering the power rake and bucket. Hoping the condition is good. It seems like it has a nice heavy front axle which is great for a loader tractor. I will report what I find when I see it in person.

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #5  
I'd want live PTO or something similar so, the PTO could be running at appropriate speed before the tractor was set in motion. To me, the specs at tractordata.com are a little confusing on this. Maybe they'll be clearer to you. TractorData.com Ford 4400 industrial tractor information
Good luck,
Stuck

Last edited:
   / looking at ford 4400 industrial #6  
Does it have any remotes and whats the condition of the Harley Rake? Those are crazy expensive everytime I've ever seen one, $2k and up. From the looks of the grill its probably an early 70's machine. I have a 68 and doesn't have a pto. Not sure if you know but the 4400 is a 63hp 4000 series tractor with a different front axle. You can add a 15' BH to it pretty easy if you wanted. I've seen a few around here cheap. How's the steering? That's the only complaint I've ever heard about the 4400-4500 series, mine is shot and I have to replace a rear axle seal.

It appears to have at least one set of remotes. Here is another picture. The harley rake appears to be older, but it supposedly works well. What is the common issue with steering? Just generally sloppy? The 445 that I borrowed from a neighbor was quite sloppy if I remember correctly.
00N0N_dLQE3B7SvX_600x450.jpg

/ looking at ford 4400 industrial #8  
Dad has a 4500 (which I am quite familiar with as we rebuilt alot of things on it), which is nearly identical to the 4400.

Price does sound a bit steep, but I dont know what harley rakes go for. Without the rake, I would say ~$4k would be more fair given the condition.

That looks like the 730 loader, which is a better match for a machine that size. The 4500 TLB dad has, has the 735 loader, which in all honesty is a bit overkill for the front axle of the 4400-4500.

As to the steering, it isnt true power steering. It is power-assist steering. Meaning there is a cylinder up in the front and still a mechanical linkage connecting the steering to the spindles. There is a valve on top of the cylinder that when it detects you trying to turn, it actuates the cylinder and "assists" you in the efforts.

So...it is far better than NO power steering, but still takes some effort. MY 5500 is TRUE power steering. I can take a pinkey finger and steer whenever I want, load in the bucket or not.

All in all, they are built tough and are a good machine. You need to go look at it in person though, test it out, and see if it is what you want. With that loader and those wheel weights, you are probably looking at a 7500# machine too. So you need a big trailer to haul.

thank you for the input. Hopefully I can see it tonight. Honestly, i don't know what the harley rakes are worth either. If it works well for gravel driveways, I would be putting it to use quite often since my driveway is steep, and heavy rain does a number on it. I do have a neighbor with a large equipment trailer, but its about 30 miles from home, so driving it home is not out of the question.

well i searched around on local craigslist and the prices on harley rakes ranged from $2000-4000. Most looked newer and a bit heavier than what is on this tractor, but i figure it must be valued at least at $1000. Hopefully I can see it work on something.