Buying Advice Kubota BX1860 or BX1870

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870
Went to see the 1025r with my wife. Verdict:too large. The 1870 is a better size tractor for our place. Kubota has bigger incentives on the 1860 than 1870. Looking into selling the 325 and attachments or donate to a non-profit for the tax deduction. Haven't committed to 1860 or 1870 yet. Soon, I expect.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #12  
I have the folding rops on my BX. Let me tell you- either it stays up all the time or down for a moment for clearance. I hate the wing style half folding as its a BIG head knocker! I might need to do something in the back and wham!!:confused2: I am very close to considering in chopping it a couple inches down so it has the same functionality now, but also has clearance in the old garage I have.

The JD design folds all the way down. Much nicer than the half fold. The 1860 is in the running for the non folding but short ROPS. Thanks for your feedback.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #14  
The JD design folds all the way down. Much nicer than the half fold. The 1860 is in the running for the non folding but short ROPS. Thanks for your feedback.

How often and why do you need to fold it?

Sent from my Samsung SPH-L710 using TractorByNet

Decided on the BX1860, put down a deposit. Will get it next weekend. 54" fine cut deck, FEL to get me started. Considering a heavy hitch weight bar for the 3pt. Can then use suitcase weights I have to help balance the FEL when more ballast needed. Also contemplating a tooth bar.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #16  
Congrats on the tractor.

The heavy hitch is nice but it requires suitcase weights. They go for $1.15 a pound on up which would get expensive.

Some guys have made their own counterweight out concrete. You can form it up in a ply wood box. You would need to make your 3PH hookup.

Another option for a ballast is buy a implement you can use like a scraper blade or box blade.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #17  
If you have access to one, you can get a small plastic barrel(it's a food grade barrel) holds about 25 to 30 gallons and put rocks and concrete in it. I purchased a cat.1 drawbar at TSC and this barrel has 1 bolt thru the bottom that attaches it to the drawbar. The bolt you see near the top is an old turnbuckle that was in my garage when I bought the house..........my toplink hooks to that.

Don't forget to post pics of your new tractor when you get it.

Attachments

• ballast1.jpg
    ballast1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 453
  • ballast2.jpg
    ballast2.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 358
  • ballast3.jpg
    ballast3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 260
Kubota 1860 arrived today. So far I used the mower, which did an outstanding job, and used the loader to haul some logs, dig some dirt, fill and level some holes. I wasn't planning to mow with the FEL on, but since I had a mix of tasks today, I left it in place. I found when mowing down some taller grass on the edge of the field, where I wasn't sure if there might still be some logs lurking, the FEL bucket set low was a good help. I went slow, and if I hit something, it'd be with the loader first and not the mower deck.

Here's a photo of it in the shade. Parked it there so the seat won't be too roasting when I go back out to use it more.

I'm REALLY happy with the choice of the 1860. Size-wise it's perfect for our land (2 1/4 acres, about 1.5 grass and gardens). And I love the ROPS on this unit which is at about 6 feet from the ground, not the 1870's folding ROPS that's much taller. The fixed ROPS clears under nearly all of the trees, and misses the clothes line by about an inch.

I got the tractor, loader and deck. For the deck, the one planned was out of stock everywhere, but they'd taken in a used tractor with 30 hours on it, and sold me the deck from that one (likely a lot less than 30 on the deck) at a nice discount. This being tax-free weekend, the loader and deck were tax free (tractor itself didn't qualify due to single-item price) which helped a bit too. And nice rebate in place from Kubota on the tractor.

kubota-1860.jpg

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #20  
Congrats on the tractor.

I leave my loader on all the time. Seems every time I mow there are more tree branches in the yard.